Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

Beans

HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

This is a HOWTO install the canon pixma ip4000 drivers, released by canon japan and downloaded from: ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
    There are also drivers for ip3000 and ip8500, which i assume would also install in the same manner described here (not tested). The source code for the pixma range is also in that url so it might be possible to compile drivers for the other pixmas (for ip1000 and ip1500).

Limitations of the driver are:
    1. No duplex printing
    2. No CD-R printing
    I 've tested the driver printing text and pictures in plain paper only(I don't have special paper but should work fine). Picture quality seems to be the same as in winxp. The colour tone looks to be just a bit reddish in some pictures (with default settings) but this can be fixed playing around with colour settings.

I'm still a newbie and i don't know much about cups so i expect recommendations for better functionality. I found hints on installing in these threads:
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums.....canon.general
    http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=7784 (in german, translated through http://www.systranbox.com/systran/box)

In japan pixma printers are released under different names:
    pixus ip3100 -> pixma ip3000
    pixus ip4100 -> pixma ip4000
    pixus ip8600 -> pixma ip8500

The HOWTO:
    1. Install required packages
    Install alien with synaptic
    Install libxml1 with synaptic (required later on to run canon's bjcups application)

2. Download Driver
    open terminal
    cd to your preferred download directory
    For ip4000:
    $ wget ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b....50-2.i386.rpm ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b....50-2.i386.rpm ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b....50-2.i386.rpm
    For ip3000:
    $ wget ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b....50-2.i386.rpm ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b....50-2.i386.rpm ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/b....50-2.i386.rpm
    for ip8500:

3. Convert .rpm to .deb
    $ sudo alien bjfilter-common-2.50-2.i386.rpm
    $ sudo alien bjfilter-pixusip4100-lprng-2.50-2.i386.rpm
    $ sudo alien bjfilter-pixusip4100-2.50-2.i386.rpm
    (note: change filenames appropriate to much your printer's)

4. Install
    $ sudo dpkg -i <names of the 3 generated deb files>

5.Edit .ppd file
    To allow printing quality options to be accessed through cups' printer properties you must edit as root the printer's ppd file.(This applies only to the ip4000. I don't know the settings for ip3000 or ip8600.Backup and try it)
    $ sudo gedit /usr/share/cups/model/canonpixusip4100.ppd
    Add these lines:
    *OpenUI *CNQuality/Quality: PickOne
    *DefaultCNQuality: 3
    *CNQuality 2/High: "2"
    *CNQuality 3/Normal: "3"
    *CNQuality 4/Standard: "4"
    *CNQuality 5/Economy: "5"
    *CloseUI: *CNQuality

You can also replace these lines:
    *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 600
    *Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution
    with:
    *OpenUI *Resolution/Output Resolution: PickOne
    *DefaultResolution: 600
    *Resolution 600/600 dpi: "<</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 1200/1200 dpi: "<</HWResolution[1200 1200]>>setpagedevice"
    *Resolution 2400/2400 dpi: "<</HWResolution[2400 2400]>>setpagedevice"
    *CloseUI: *Resolution

Save the file

6. Fix libs

$sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/libpng.so.2
    $sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    $sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 /usr/lib/libxml.so.1

(i don't know why i do this but otherwise the printer does not work)

7. Restart Cups
    $ sudo killall cupsd
    $ sudo cupsd

8. Setup Printer
    -System>Administration>Printing>New Printer
    -Choose Local or network printer and specify port or url, respectively
    -Forward
    Manufacturer>canon
    Model> PIXUS iP4100 Ver.2.50 (depends on your printer)
    Driver>Standard
    -Apply
    (if you can't find your printer choose:install driver>choose the ppd file you edited, reboot and try again to setup printer)

9. Test
    Right Click on printer> properties>print test page

10. Setup on GIMP
    -open an image to print
    -file>print>Choose your printer name>setup printer:
    Printer Model>PostScript level 2
    command>lpr -P <your printer name> (mine is PIXUS-iP4100-Ver.2.50)
    PPD File>browse at /usr/share/cups/model/ (mine is /usr/share/cups/model/canonpixusip4100.ppd)
    -OK
    -Save Settings
    -Print

I don't know if changing to a higher resolution works. The test pages showed same quality with any resolution.I think that resolution is actually controlled with the quality settings only, at the cups' printer properties menu>advanced>quality(High, Normal, standard, economy). I also suppose that the .ppd file can be further tweaked to allow more options to be set up in the cups properties menu, and more features might be unlocked (if somebody is experienced with cups help would be appreciated).

11.Run bjcups application

Bjcups is canon's application that allows you to set printer's settings and perform maintenance tasks such as head alighnment.
    $ bjcups -P <printer name> (mine is PIXUS-iP4100-Ver.2.50)
    To print a file you may also use:
    $ bjcups -P <printer name> <filename>

Finally, at ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/ you can find some other applications that might be useful, the source code for the drivers, and a user's guide for the driver in Japanese. I somehow translated it in English using http://www.systranbox.com/systran/box .

Hope it works
    Please post for any problems or fixes
    Last edited by paris_m_; July 18th, 2005 at 12:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

Thank you Paris M

I am about to buy one of these printers, and my research had indicated that the Japanese had such drivers, but I would not have known what to do with them!

Every day is a school day.

Beans

Thank U for Your Howto.

I use the Canon IP5000 Printer, is there a way to install the drivers without compiling? (Does it work with the 4000 drivers?)

edit:

Again thank U very much, my IP5000 works with the ip4000 drivers!
    Last edited by coaxx; June 7th, 2005 at 02:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coaxx
    Thank U for Your Howto.

I use the Canon IP5000 Printer, is there a way to install the drivers without compiling? (Does it work with the 4000 drivers?)

edit:

Again thank U very much, my IP5000 works with the ip4000 drivers!
    I just wanted to confirm that the 4100 drivers do indeed work with the iP5000... yay!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmazer
    I just wanted to confirm that the 4100 drivers do indeed work with the iP5000... yay!
    I am glad that the 4100 drivers work for the ip5000. I have downloaded the drivers source file from Canon Japan and it only supports these printers:
    pixma ip1000
    pixma ip1500
    pixus ip3100
    pixus ip4100
    pixus ip8600

Some other folks at linuxprinting.org forums compiled the ip1000and ip1500 drivers at their machines and have them available for download.
    For the ip1000 look at this thread:
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums....l;article=2344
    For the ip1500 look at this threads:
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums....l;article=2332
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums....l;article=2342

Beans

OK I've done some testing prints with my IP5000 (using the IP41000 drivers) to compare image quality.

Well, I have to tell You that printing quality is much worse than printed with Win XP. But printing with a Windows Client throught Cups will result in exactly the same quality as direct connected to Windows (raw mode)!

OK now the question is, is this the case only because the 4100-driver is used or do all linux drivers have worse image quality.

Text quality is excelent here and the resolution seems very high, images are sharp but colors are bad!

Beans

OK I've done some testing prints with my IP5000 (using the IP41000 drivers) to compare image quality.

Well, I have to tell You that printing quality is much worse than printed with Win XP. But printing with a Windows Client throught Cups will result in exactly the same quality as direct connected to Windows (raw mode)!

OK now the question is, is this the case only because the 4100-driver is used or do all linux drivers have worse image quality.

Text quality is excelent here and the resolution seems very high, images are sharp but colors are bad!
    I know. The colour output of my ip4000 is not so good with this driver. Try to print using commandline and the bjcups program:
    $ bjcups -P <printer name> <filename>
    With this application you can manually setup colour balance, an option not implemented in the .ppd file canon provided, even if it is supported by the driver. However with this application you can't setup the page correctly. The default colour settings are not good so a better colour output might be obtained using manual colour settings. Anyway I hope that in future releases of the driver by Canon Japan (if any) or with the help of somebody who knows a bit more about printing in linux (I'm a newbie) the problem is solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paris_m_

10. Setup on GIMP
    -open an image to print
    -file>print>Choose your printer name>setup printer:
    Printer Model>PostScript level 2
    command>lpr -P <your printer name> (mine is PIXUS-iP4100-Ver.2.50)
    PPD File>browse at /usr/share/cups/model/ (mine is /usr/share/cups/model/canonpixusip4100.ppd)
    -OK
    -Save Settings
    -Print
    This does not work for me. I use Gimp at a network client. Printing from KDE Apps works but not from gimb. I can chose the printer then I set "PostScript level 2"..but... What do I have to set for the ppd file and print command in gimp when printing to a network printer? Default is here "lp -s -d<printername> -oraw" and an empty line for the ppd. When I print with this settings cups will get the print-job, but it wont print. It will be listed under "completed jobs" with the name "(stdin)" thx!!

Beans

This does not work for me. I use Gimp at a network client. Printing from KDE Apps works but not from gimb. I can chose the printer then I set "PostScript level 2"..but... What do I have to set for the ppd file and print command in gimp when printing to a network printer? Default is here "lp -s -d<printername> -oraw" and an empty line for the ppd. When I print with this settings cups will get the print-job, but it wont print. It will be listed under "completed jobs" with the name "(stdin)" thx!!
    Print Command: lpr -P <your printer name> (mine is PIXUS-iP4100-Ver.2.50)
    PPD File>usr/share/cups/model/canonpixusipXXXX.ppd (XXXX is your printer model)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paris_m_
    Print Command: lpr -P <your printer name> (mine is PIXUS-iP4100-Ver.2.50)
    PPD File>usr/share/cups/model/canonpixusipXXXX.ppd (XXXX is your printer model)
    This works, thank You!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast