View Poll Results: Do you use Tomboy daily? What for?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Simple jotting

57 59.38%
  • Extensive writing, lots of text

23 23.96%
  • Daily planning with the Note of the Day (Feisty only)

8 8.33%
  • Daily planning, with a specially created note

13 13.54%
  • Keep track of items (e.g. owned, loaned, watched, expiry)

26 27.08%
  • Keep track of contacts (e.g. phone, email)

9 9.38%
  • Pastebin for collecting random text

38 39.58%
  • Grocery List

19 19.79%
  • Blogging, Diary

7 7.29%
  • I dislike Tomboy (!!)

25 26.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use Tomboy daily? What for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Do you use Tomboy daily? What for?

Quote Originally Posted by raublekick View Post
    i love Tomboy, but i never use it! it's weird, i always have it on my panel, and i look at it, and i think about how awesome and useful it is, but i never use it!

any tips?
    Check out the poll options. Each of them (except the last one of course ) represents a possible use for Tomboy. Try creating a note called To-Do List and write things you're going to do over the course of the next few days, or write down deadlines for homework, or names and phone numbers while you're on your cell, or shopping lists.

If you can somehow get version 0.6 for your Breezy it would be even better.

Beans
    Hidden!

tried notes but returned to opera notes, use it for saving quotes, address', comands etc. simply double click my note and it takes me right there just like a bookmark. Opera is my browser and email client of choice so it's notes are simply so convenient in dealing with quotes/email/commands/links blah blah blah........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    i rather like tomboy. i think its a neat and convenient little application. i use it for the following:
    -random notes to jot down whilst they are fresh in my mind
    -reminders of things to do in the near or distant future

i use it a lot.
    This basically sums up my usage too, one of the most important apps I use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by zanglang View Post
    Check out the poll options. Each of them (except the last one of course ) represents a possible use for Tomboy. Try creating a note called To-Do List and write things you're going to do over the course of the next few days, or write down deadlines for homework, or names and phone numbers while you're on your cell, or shopping lists.

If you can somehow get version 0.6 for your Breezy it would be even better.
    yeah, the problem is i generally think of that stuff while i am doing things like driving, or working, and so on, so by the time i get to my laptop i'm just like "hey i'm gonna go waste time on the internet!!1!"

i'm using Edgy, i have just been too lazy to change the distro on the forums...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do wish Tomboy was a bit more snappy (as Mono improves I bet that will happen), but that doesn't stop me from using it constantly!

If I am writing something, I usually have an outline in Tomboy with a bunch of different notes holding different sections. If I owe someone something, I have a note there. (And I used to have it remind me about it on a daily basis with a Reminder plugin, but I don't know where that has gone). If I am writing software I leave comments, reminders and design sketches in notes. I use it for just writing in a reliable environmnent outside of a web browser or some such in the same way as Windows' Notepad. (Except Tomboy is way better thanks to autosaving!)

My favourite part is not deleting notes :b It's just weirdly fun having a link randomly appear without me thinking about it and a nice break not having to worry about managing files in a coherent manner. (Warning: Do not look at your .tomboy directory, it is scary).

I do wish that it didn't format text quite so much like a Wiki. I hate having to leave two spaces every time I want to change back from formatting text like a title, and the lists just work weirdly. Also the text formatting choices don't sound very useful as merely "small, big, bigger, huge". I would like them with more descriptive names and purposes, like "Title"!

I have had some weird problems where links, formatting and spellchecking will disappear spontaneously as I type, described in this thread.

I recall reading that Tomboy's first list of features is filled out and one of the next things to be done is a tagging system, so that will be indeed cool.

I hope that it will be possible to create a note with alternative titles, so that the actual title of the note could be really long though someone could just write a shortened version of that title and get a link to the same note. Also the ability to add / remove links to any note with any text would be useful. I've had this problem with a few collections of notes, where I really wanted to have links to notes just appear conveniently but have instead wound up having to have "See also" links at the bottom. (Try conveniently linking to "Coleridge's Use of Opium" or "Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive" midsentence).

In the future, it would be awesome if Tomboy could handle a simple web site accessible via the network running under an installed web server package. (And if there was a notes sharing feature, and other multi-user stuff like that).

Oh, and the Export to HTML plugin is awful. Who in their right mind thought it would be sane to have it list the same page for every single time it is linked to? Having "Include all other linked notes" makes sense, but it looks redundant on first glance and maybe should be the other way around since I bet most people do expect it to include every single linked note recursively by default. Why are all those notes crammed into one page? It's HTML, so why not have them seperate?
    Printing, too... I wanted to print a whole collection of notes once so to save time I tried exporting to HTML so that I could get them all on the same page without trouble. Of course that didn't work well since I ended up with 50 copies of the same note listed, but it was the only way available to recursively print every linked note. (Except for manually, which is painful).

So there is my ramble-fest of a review / wish list for Tomboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Mostly to paste stuff quickly without having to clean up files afterwards, and for some quick notes. I don't use it as much as I want to, but as it increases in features I feel it becoming more useful to me. Synchronizing between computers and some basic categorization/tagging of notes are the things I'm looking forward to the most, and both are planned for the next version

Other than that, some Evo integration would rock, especially for to-do lists... The evolution one is by far to inconvenient, and tomboy, while convenient to edit, lacks the power that e-d-s gives you like showing it in the panel and some advanced stuff.

And some speed improvements would be cool, sometimes when pasting longer text it can take ages (probably because it has to parse it for wikiwords and the like, but I'd still hope it could be a bit faster).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    I do wish Tomboy was a bit more snappy (as Mono improves I bet that will happen), but that doesn't stop me from using it constantly!

If I am writing something, I usually have an outline in Tomboy with a bunch of different notes holding different sections. If I owe someone something, I have a note there. (And I used to have it remind me about it on a daily basis with a Reminder plugin, but I don't know where that has gone). If I am writing software I leave comments, reminders and design sketches in notes. I use it for just writing in a reliable environmnent outside of a web browser or some such in the same way as Windows' Notepad. (Except Tomboy is way better thanks to autosaving!)

My favourite part is not deleting notes :b It's just weirdly fun having a link randomly appear without me thinking about it and a nice break not having to worry about managing files in a coherent manner. (Warning: Do not look at your .tomboy directory, it is scary).

I do wish that it didn't format text quite so much like a Wiki. I hate having to leave two spaces every time I want to change back from formatting text like a title, and the lists just work weirdly. Also the text formatting choices don't sound very useful as merely "small, big, bigger, huge". I would like them with more descriptive names and purposes, like "Title"!

I have had some weird problems where links, formatting and spellchecking will disappear spontaneously as I type, described in this thread.

I recall reading that Tomboy's first list of features is filled out and one of the next things to be done is a tagging system, so that will be indeed cool.

I hope that it will be possible to create a note with alternative titles, so that the actual title of the note could be really long though someone could just write a shortened version of that title and get a link to the same note. Also the ability to add / remove links to any note with any text would be useful. I've had this problem with a few collections of notes, where I really wanted to have links to notes just appear conveniently but have instead wound up having to have "See also" links at the bottom. (Try conveniently linking to "Coleridge's Use of Opium" or "Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive" midsentence).

In the future, it would be awesome if Tomboy could handle a simple web site accessible via the network running under an installed web server package. (And if there was a notes sharing feature, and other multi-user stuff like that).

Oh, and the Export to HTML plugin is awful. Who in their right mind thought it would be sane to have it list the same page for every single time it is linked to? Having "Include all other linked notes" makes sense, but it looks redundant on first glance and maybe should be the other way around since I bet most people do expect it to include every single linked note recursively by default. Why are all those notes crammed into one page? It's HTML, so why not have them seperate?
    Printing, too... I wanted to print a whole collection of notes once so to save time I tried exporting to HTML so that I could get them all on the same page without trouble. Of course that didn't work well since I ended up with 50 copies of the same note listed, but it was the only way available to recursively print every linked note. (Except for manually, which is painful).

So there is my ramble-fest of a review / wish list for Tomboy
    Zoinks! Thanks for the extensive comment.

Version 0.8 should *finally* have note-sharing via Avahi, although I'm not sure about internet-awareness yet; I had that proposed because I _sorely_ want to see it happen... but chances of it getting accepted is not high. There seems to be ongoing work with the Conduit project (http://www.conduit-project.org) that *might* allow it to be synced onto a web-server. If all goes well we'll at least see an implementation in Feisty+1, so I can't complain.

Re: links support, alternative titles and advanced text styles, I think Tomboy would benefit from some kind of powerful markup syntax. I've thought about how it'd work and wanted to submit it as a SoC proposal, but didn't think it would make much of a project (scope too small, way too advanced for poor me, and doesn't boost usability for majority of users). I'll add it into their Ideas wiki page though, hopefully someone will pick it up and write a patch for it soon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Wolki View Post
    Other than that, some Evo integration would rock, especially for to-do lists... The evolution one is by far to inconvenient, and tomboy, while convenient to edit, lacks the power that e-d-s gives you like showing it in the panel and some advanced stuff.
    This is another of my _Sorely Wanted_ lists too. And I think is the main reason why in this poll only ~10% of voters use it for daily planning... it's just not convenient enough. It /IS/ listed in this year's SoC project ideas though, so again, if all goes well expect to see something happen by the end of the year.
    Last edited by zanglang; March 22nd, 2007 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I don't use it that often, but when I do it's usually just for some random little things.

Beans

I dont have a clue what its for so I dont use it.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast