Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ventrilo and wine

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Ventrilo and wine

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've been trying to get ventrilo working for a while. Well today I got it working with no hastle and since a quick search here for 'ventrilo' turned up only one topic I thought I'd post what I found

Note: The version of wine I used was from the backports repository, I haven't tried any other version so step 1 may be unnecessary.

1. Add the extra repositores from the Unnoffical Ubuntu Guide:
    2. Install the following packages:
    Code:
    wine (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
    libwine (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
    libwine-alsa (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
    cabextract
    3. Download Ventrilo:
    4. Make a directory for ventrilo and extract it:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/ventrilo
    cd ~/ventrilo
    cabextract /path/to/ventrilo-2.2.0-Windows-i386.exe
    5. Edit the file:
    Code:
    ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini
    And add the following line:
    Code:
    MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
    6. Next you need to get your hands on the windows file 'msgsm32.acm' from an existing windows partition (C:/WINDOWS/system32/msgsm32.acm) and copy it to '~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/'.

7. Run vent:
    Code:
    cd ~/ventrilo
    wine ./Ventrilo.exe
    I hope it works, and I also hope I'm didn't state the obvious

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ventrilo and wine

Good howto man... But I'd perfer to Support Linux....So I use TeamSpeak

www.goteamspeak.com

If you look closely on the Vent forums theres a post there saying the guy will never release the Linux version of Vent. Mainly because hes so worried about his precious code. Supoort Linux...use TeamSpeak. Theres a new version of TeamSpeak due out soon...should blow the socks off vent with all the extras they've been talking about.

I have gotten ventrillo to work doing exactly that. However, it is very unstable and it doesn't work with some features like hotkeys. Teamspeak works much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I totally agree, I have used Teamspeak for years and have loved every minute of it but recently everyone I know in clan gaming is using ventrilo.

Btw, I checked out the ventrilo homepage recently and the new forum has a linux section. However there is no news to speak of and you can't post in it but is major progress compared to what used to happen on the ventrilo site (ie mention linux and get your post flamed or ignored).

Anyway I eagerly await Teamspeak 3 and a native Ventrilo for linux, I only wish we had a GPL product in the mix but seeing as I can't code that myself I wont complain

Unfortunately, probably even if we had a GPL product no one would use it so it wouldn't be very useful. If your clan is using ventrillo then you would be stuck. What would be nice is a reverse engineer of ventrillo.

Beans

I am confused with all of you recommending teamspeak.. As I understand it, teamspeak cannot connect to a ventrilo server. That would mean I can only play on servers which also happen to be running a teamspeak server. Since ventrilo is by far the most prevalent VOIP server, why would I want to do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I think teamspeak is being recommended as it already has a native linux client, and it's always better to support native software first.

One note on this method is it must be very cpu intensive because everything stutters with ventrilo running when I play in game (tested ET, Quake3, Doom3) and I have an AMD64 3500+ which handles evertything else I throw at it. So this is still not real solution until we get a native binary (or source) for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by endy
    I think teamspeak is being recommended as it already has a native linux client, and it's always better to support native software first.

One note on this method is it must be very cpu intensive because everything stutters with ventrilo running when I play in game (tested ET, Quake3, Doom3) and I have an AMD64 3500+ which handles evertything else I throw at it. So this is still not real solution until we get a native binary (or source) for linux.
    Sounds like you need to change sound cards or drivers... I had that problem with my onboard sound too. But it was the soundcard not the program.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hmm, thats strange cos I'm using a SB Audigy2 which I thought was well supported on linux, and works fine in all games :S

I'll check if wine needs any extra config, any other suggestions would be welcome

Using ventrillo through wine AND playing a game is VERY cpu intensive. I noticed this because I overclock my cpu to various speeds. Anything less than 2ghz on my computer, and ventrillo stutters like crazy. Just don't use ventrillo.

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast