View Poll Results: What do you think about this Ubuntu Commerical idea ?

Voters
490. You may not vote on this poll
  • good idea!

304 62.04%
  • good idea I wanna help!

122 24.90%
  • bad idea

53 10.82%
  • other (please explain)

11 2.24%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu commercial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu commercial

Hi,

I got this idea of an Ubuntu commercial. I'm not much of an artist. But sometimes I think I have a good idea

The goal of this Ubuntu commercial is : getting people into contact with Ubuntu.

When this gets of the ground maybe we can flood the world with lots of Ubuntu commercials

1)
    Let's create slick and funny and informative flyers that everyone can download and print (fully colored ones and low on ink grayscale ones).

2)OPTIONAL
    Let's create a super funny commercial in flash :
    -We can use this flash movie as a story board for the fully rendered commericial.
    -We can use this flash movie to attract the expertise needed to create a fully rendered movie.

3)
    I think the "final" commercial has to be a rendered animated movie because :
    - we can show of opensource rendering software
    -short animated movies are funnier than normal commercials because the artists have a lot of creative freedom.
    -rendered movies only costs time (and no money)

These guys are creating an entire movie using only open source software :
    http://orange.blender.org/cms/Home.553.0.html

As soon as this rendered movie is finished we need everyone in this community to start spreading the word about this(IM / email all your friends about it). We can spread this commercial across the world using p2p networks. We can make this happen if we all believe in it! Maybe it will get really popular and we'll start creating ubuntu commercials like crazy!

The quality of the commercial has to be really high. It also has to be super funny because we want to spread this commercial like a fire in a dry plain!

What we need :

-we need artists who want to spend time on this
    -we need people who have expertise in marketing/commercials and legal stuff
    -we need a website ... maybe http://www.spreadubuntu.org ?
    -We need to decide what message we want to sent

For example :
    -Make everyone curious about the word Ubuntu
    -Show in a funny way how much more work you can do with Ubuntu
    -Ubuntu is making you happy

-we need a super funny script (we've got over 30k users .. so I'm sure this is no problem)

For example :

There's a squirrel in africa. His pc crashes all the time and he's got spyware. He decides to go to the medicine man. He prescribes Ubuntu. He tries Ubuntu and a chain of events leads him to becoming so rich that he can spend his vacation in space

I was posting in this thread when I got the idea about the ubuntu commercial :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41400

my proposal :

- first I want to know how everybody thinks about this idea. That's why I created this poll.
    - If there are enough people who like this idea then let's create an Ubuntu community project

Let's not discuss in this thread whether or not to attack windows anymore. There's a seperate thread especially for this here :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41786

I do not think we need money. Maybe in the future we may decide to raise some funds. But let's first try this out.

We do need some organization.

if you really want to help out please go here :
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=282951

edit :
    This project is not active. IMHO it's best (most productive) to cooperate with the marketing efforts on the wiki.
    If you want to help with marketing Ubuntu please cooperate with these efforts :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; March 26th, 2007 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu commercial

I'm not real sure this will work, but can we use that Ubuntu Badgers song/dance as a starting point? We would probably not be able to use the 'Lord of the Ring' one for copyright reasons. I know that will get people's attention, and before long we will have everyone humming it!
    ... see you here, there, or in the air!

Beans

take your time..... you have all the time in the world.. so plan it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lowlux

Good call. Its not like this needs to be delievered on a schedual, so there should be no rushing!

I like this, I'll help if I can.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lowlux
    yeah we need to do this very organized. That's why I hope there's someone who has made commercials before in this forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Good call. Its not like this needs to be delievered on a schedual, so there should be no rushing!

I like this, I'll help if I can.
    great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

from this thread :

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...8&postcount=21

Quote Originally Posted by sonny

I have to agree with demon666_nl, if the commercial is great everyone will see it; but I still think it should be an all distro commercial, cuz that way it'll be cheaper for everyone to put it on TV. I'm seeing this in a way that people should know there's a bunch of options IF they change to Linux, cuz either way, it doesn't matter wich distro you have, at the end we're all Linux.

See it this way, our mother is the Linux kernel, but she likes many men, so we (her children) have different fathers (don't get me wrong it is just a metaphor; perhaps a bad one, but it is the way I see it ), but when it's mother's day we all give her presents no matter wich father we have; it's the same with the distro's we have to support Linux (our mom) no matter wich father (distro) we came from.
    - I think we have to market Ubuntu as a brand. On the Ubuntu cd's there's also the word "linux" but these letters are a lot smaller than the letters of the word "UBUNTU". Also we don't want to market Ubuntu as a geeky linux distribution but as a new userfriendly OS.

-Also tv time is not the primary objective I think. We can reach very much users by IM/email/p2p if we do it right so we do not need money for this project.

Beans

Great concept! I don't have much to contribute, but just an idea for an opening cut scene...

(Fade to focus) on Desmond Tutu's face as he delivers a passioned explanation of what Ubuntu means...(fade to Linus) at some press conference pounding his fist repeatedly on the podium in anger as kernel patches flicker nearby on an overhead projector, while ghostly voices from the past begin to echo....(audio and video fade to scratchy drips) as several prominent OSS faces surface back and forth on screen - Packard, Stallman, Kimball and Mattis, Vinet, all flickering in session like an old 50's black and white movie reel...(fade to focus) on a Soyuz rocket lifting off into space with deafening thunder and distant applause from the ground...(fade to focus) on some mixed CGI rendering of Mark Shuttleworth planting an Ubuntu flag on some distant planet, while a doctored JFK sound bite scratches in the background, "...ask not what your computer can do for you, ask what you can do for your computer."

\\//_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Ok now that the Ubuntu commercial idea is on the road, I will support it; and put aside the all distro commercial. One idea for the artists, though, I think that the Ubuntu slogan should appear in the commercial.

"humanity to others"
    "I am what I am because of who we all are"

Those are the spirit of Ubuntu, and as such have to be in the commercial, wheter it is implicit or explicit.
    Free your mind...

Beans

IM / email all your friends about it
    This needs to be done with caution. The Ubuntu community is alredy getting a negative press as being too aggressive and outspoken .. excessive emailing might reach spam levels and leave us really unpopular. I know I am posting an extreme situation, but if you think about it, its not really that impossible.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast