Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO : create a custom keyboard shortcut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HOWTO : create a custom keyboard shortcut

Disclaimer : I wrote a more up to date and complete guide on the topic, please refer to this one now :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79560

The goal of this HOWTO is to create a custom keyboard shortcut to run a software (like xmms, 3ddesk, ...) or what you want (xkill, transset 0.5, ...). In the example I want to start xkill (graphical kill) using "Alt + a" shortcut.

1- Open GConf editor, go to apps -> metacity -> keybinding_commands, and now choose a command, for my example I choose command_1. Edit command_1 writing xkill in order to run xkill (or every command you want to launch).

2- In the same direcrtory go to global_keybindings. Edit command_1 (or the command you choose in part 1) with the wanted shortcut like that : <Alt>a .

that's all !

Enjoy
    Last edited by frodon; January 7th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO : create a custom shortcut

is it possible to make a custom shortcut for starting synaptic?

i tried using just synaptic as the command but it complains that it must be run as root..and if i put sudo synaptic, it doesnt ask for my password and thus doesnt open at all..any ideas anyone?

PS:am really sorry to have posted here..just read the read this..please do delete off this post..i will post it again in the right place..
    Last edited by kb_ganesh; September 19th, 2005 at 08:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by kb_ganesh
    is it possible to make a custom shortcut for starting synaptic?

i tried using just synaptic as the command but it complains that it must be run as root..and if i put sudo synaptic, it doesnt ask for my password and thus doesnt open at all..any ideas anyone?

PS:am really sorry to have posted here..just read the read this..please do delete off this post..i will post it again in the right place..
    Try pointing it to "gksudo /usr/sbin/synaptic"

Beans
    Hidden!

Does anyone know how to save/export the user defined shortcuts? I have searched high and low for a way to do this. I use many different ubuntu machines and would like to script the customisation of them by copying files. I tried md5'ing everything in ~/ changing a shortcut and seeing what changed. As far as I could tell it was only ~/.gconfd/saved_state that changed. However, copying and overwriting this file on another machine did not work. Any suggestions?

Beans

How do you use the windows buttons for hotkeys?

EDIT: Hm.. think I figured it out. Seems like it's a real mess though. Apparently this works different on every system :/

Anyway, using <super>x worked for me. <super_L> on the other hand did not
    Last edited by olejorgen; December 2nd, 2006 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

wondering if there would be a way to set up a keyboard shortcut to switch users quickly...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    The goal of this HOWTO is to create a custom keyboard shortcut to run a software (like xmms, 3ddesk, ...) or what you want (xkill, transset 0.5, ...). In the example I want to start xkill (graphical kill) using "Alt + a" shortcut.

1- Open GConf editor, go to apps -> metacity -> keybinding_commands, and now choose a command, for my example I choose command_1. Edit command_1 writing xkill in order to run xkill (or every command you want to launch).

2- In the same direcrtory go to global_keybindings. Edit command_1 (or the command you choose in part 1) with the wanted shortcut like that : <Alt>a .

that's all !

Enjoy

Ok..Could you, or someone else possibly state the above in a step by step form, for someone who is new? example: How do i open GConf editor. etc. There is no 'metacity' under appl..not that i see anyways..so some explanations for someone like me would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

You're not alone - I don't see "metacity" under apps in gconf, either.... Do I need to ugrade my gconf?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

With regard to backing up the gconf, i did the following to backup gconf and all of the settings:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gnome_Desktop_Admin_Guide

To dump your personal panel settings run gconftool-2.... in the command line:

# Gnome 2.10+
    gconftool-2
    --dump /apps/panel > my-panel-setup.entries

To Load your settings:

gconftool-2 --direct
    --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
    --load my-panel-setup.entries

And thats it, it will load it as the default settings, but i'm sure you can find something on the link provided, since that is where i got it from.

In order to view the gconf-editor, you need to right click on Applications, and select Edit Menus. From there, go down to System Tools, and press the little box for Configuration Editor, and then exit. Now it should be in Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor.

I hope this helps,
    Dustin

Beans

Thumbs up Re: HOWTO : create a custom shortcut

Got it after long search. Very helpful. Simply Great - Thank you very much.

=D>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast