Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bios cannot boot from cd

Beans

Unhappy Bios cannot boot from cd

Bios cannot boot from cd... hey guys my motherboard is an oldie and an antique pece which cant boot from cd..... what should i do to install ubuntu..........

also whether dos boot disk will be sufficient

Beans

Re: Bios cannot boot from cd

netbootinstall? or even install debian via floppy and upgrade to ubuntu.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Bios cannot boot from cd

sorry i was not able to understand what u meant by "netbootinstall?"....also i am using LINUX for the first time so it would be really kind of u to please tell me the steps so that i can proceed further......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

not to offend but what are the specs on this machine, i mean if it doenst support booting from a cdrom drive chances are that it will not support all the features of ubuntu either...
    No Sig Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The easiest way is to use a smartbootmanager floppy. For instructions look here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SmartBootManagerHowto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by somuchfortheafter
    not to offend but what are the specs on this machine, i mean if it doenst support booting from a cdrom drive chances are that it will not support all the features of ubuntu either...
    That doesn't mean you should give up on installing Ubuntu...

I have a 75MHz system running Ubuntu, and that still does well if you know what software to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    That doesn't mean you should give up on installing Ubuntu...

I have a 75MHz system running Ubuntu, and that still does well if you know what software to install.
    OK, I'm *very* interested. How did you get Ubuntu running happily on what must be a 486DX?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had a PCMCIA NIC. Installed Ubuntu on my desktop (ubuntu-base only, like the 'server' install), booted the laptop with a floppy distro, then scp'd over the base system

It amazingly runs X.org with fluxbox, abiword, dillo as web browser, and many other goodies, too. It runs as a competent X terminal to my desktop, too, which is what I use it for the most.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by champ_rock
    Bios cannot boot from cd... hey guys my motherboard is an oldie and an antique pece which cant boot from cd..... what should i do to install ubuntu..........

also whether dos boot disk will be sufficient
    With a windows 98 boot floppy... First put the ubuntu cd inside, then put the win98 floppy in; rebbot and make a floppy boot, when the floppy ask you about cd-rom support then say yes, and that should be all... the specifics I can't tell cuz I'ven't done it for a long time, but I maganed to get Win2000 to some old pc's with that technique... Hope you manage to figured out the specifics of the process.
    Free your mind...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sonny
    With a windows 98 boot floppy... First put the ubuntu cd inside, then put the win98 floppy in; rebbot and make a floppy boot, when the floppy ask you about cd-rom support then say yes, and that should be all... the specifics I can't tell cuz I'ven't done it for a long time, but I maganed to get Win2000 to some old pc's with that technique... Hope you manage to figured out the specifics of the process.
    This will NOT work, because the Ubuntu installer requires a LINUX kernel to be loaded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast