View Poll Results: How do you get things done?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Through the CLI

168 63.16%
  • Through a GUI

78 29.32%
  • Whatever the person helping me tells me to use.

20 7.52%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Anyone else love the CLI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Anyone else love the CLI?

Quote Originally Posted by red_Marvin View Post
    I guess so, I just find it annoying when people say the pneumatic nail gun is the only way and the hammer is an obsolete tool which should be forgotten asap.
    I understand.

I have a tool box full of a variety of stuff. I probably have 10 different 13mm wrenches. Each one designed for a particular situation. I use whatever will accomplish the task. Sometimes the standard straight end and sometimes the one that is shaped like the letter "S".

In the same way GUI vs CLI all depends upon what I am doing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I like both... put it this way, even if computers only had CLI or only GUI I would still use it... it is not a "deal breaker" so to speak.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    I like both... put it this way, even if computers only had CLI or only GUI I would still use it... it is not a "deal breaker" so to speak.
    Agreed!

My first adventure in computers was figuring out an Apple IIE. It was all command line to run anything. I then went to a 286 which still required CLI but that one came with GeoWorks which overlayed DOS and was a window like environment, although multi-tasking was not available at that time. When Windows came out there were still plenty of opportunities to have to use CLI since it would always break and give the BSOD.

And to think, I paid $100 for a megabyte of ram!! 2 megabytes was a lot back then. The Apple had the "Profile" hard drive, all 5 megabytes worth and was almost as big as my current CPU box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 73ckn797 View Post
    Agreed!

My first adventure in computers was figuring out an Apple IIE. It was all command line to run anything. I then went to a 286 which still required CLI but that one came with GeoWorks which overlayed DOS and was a window like environment, although multi-tasking was not available at that time. When Windows came out there were still plenty of opportunities to have to use CLI since it would always break and give the BSOD.
    Haha nice!!

When I first used computers it was at school and all they had was DOS!! But it didn't matter computer just cool and I just had to learn it!!

Then when Windows 95 comes along and it took me a while to figure out that computers have "evolved" now; but they are still cool and it is still fun to learn!!
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheMono View Post
    I would be the GUI party pooper here.... I am quite at home with the CLI, but when I can, I'm quite happy with the GUI. THe only time I go to a CLI is for apt-get (and editing config files) and compiling.
    That's prety much my approach too. There's a small number of tasks I do through CLI (yep, apt-get and compiling included), GUI is the way for anything else.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314