Thread: HOWTO: Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem

Threaded View

Beans

HOWTO: Speedtouch USB ADSL Modem (UK)

Since Hoary is running on kernel 2.6.10, you do not need the speedtouch package to get these adsl modems to work. All you actually need apart from a Hoary installation cd is some firmware for your modem.

I've now made this specific to the UK, as that's all I can test. In other countries using PPPoA it should work by changing the VPI/VCI numbers. (see below). Otherwise, http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/ubuntu/index.html may be able to help.

The procedure I outlined in my previous posts on configuring speedtouch is broken because the latest firmware .deb contains renamed firmware files, so the hotplug script provided with the speedtouch package can't find them, exits with an error and never gets around to bringing up the connection with the ISP. It would be simple enough to replace the hard-coded firmware file names with the new ones, but why install a package which is not needed? This new method does without the speedtouch package, but includes creating an alternative hotplug setup so that the automatic connection to the ISP still happens after the adsl line comes up.

The HOWTO follows.

In this HOWTO, I assume that you have no working net connection in Ubuntu. For now, you will need a computer that is capable of connecting to the internet, whether this be another computer, or your Ubuntu box booted with some other operating system (maybe you've set it up to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows).

I am working on utilizing the firmware which you should have on your Speedtouch Windows installation cd - I will update the howto once I have demonstrated to myself that this works. You will still need a net connection at some point to read/print these instructions, though!

Step 1: Stuff to download

Get hold of some firmware for your modem. The firmware is the code which needs to be loaded into the modem every time it is plugged in or the computer is switched on. Without the firmware, nothing else will happen.

There is a useful debian package containing the firmware at http://ftp.linux.it/pub/People/md/wa....3012k_all.deb

You might also like to save this HOWTO webpage - then you can copy and paste configuration file stuff later on, rather than type it in from a printed copy of the HOWTO.

I have created a hotplug script called speedtch.txt which is attached to this post. download this.

So, confirm before you leave your net-connected pc, that you have the above firmware package, the hotplug script, and these instructions, on a floppy, or burnt to a cd, or possibly on a Windows partition on your dual-boot Ubuntu box, which you can mount in Ubuntu.

Step 2: Boot into Ubuntu and install the necessary software

You will need to install the package libatm1 - put your Hoary cd in the drive and open a terminal. Then type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libatm1
    This should install the package from the Hoary cd
    Now insert the floppy/cd containing the firmware downloaded earlier (or mount the relevant partition if you managed to save somewhere on your Ubuntu machine) and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/your/download/speedtouch-firmware_0.3012k_all.deb
    This will install the firmware files to your computer.

Step 3: Configure your software

load the pppoatm module, and set up your machine so it is loaded at every boot:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe pppoatm
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    in the editor window, add
    Code:
    pppoatm
    at the bottom of the list, save and exit.

Create a pppd connection script to control logging on to your ISP:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/peers-pppoe /etc/ppp/peers/adslscript
    sudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/adslscript
    change the line:
    Code:
    # user "myusername@myprovider.net"
    to:
    Code:
    user "your-own-isp-username"
    remove:
    Code:
    # Load the pppoe plugin. Change the ethernet interface name if needed.
    plugin rp-pppoe.so
    eth0
    and replace with
    Code:
    # These options configure pppd to talk with the kernelspace speedtch driver.
    # Don't forget to adapt the VP.VC pair to your ISP/country settings.
    # (see http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/faq/index.html#q12)
    plugin pppoatm.so
    0.38 #UK
    Towards the bottom, comment out (ie put a # at the beginning of the line):
    Code:
    noaccomp

and

default-asyncmap
    save and exit the editor

Now, set up your isp password:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
    In the editor window, add a line:
    Code:
    your-isp-user-name * your-isp-password *
    Save file and close editor
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
    In the editor window, add an identical line to that just added to the chap secrets file. Save and close editor. You will only use one of these two files, depending on the authentication method used by your isp, but is doesn't hurt to have both on your system.

Finally, setup the hotplug system to automatically connect when the modem is plugged in and at boot time:
    Code:
    sudo cp /your/path/to/speedtch.txt /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtch
    Make this script executable
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/hotplug/usb/speedtch
    Now, enter
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    plug in your modem and (hopefully) watch it connect. you should see in the messages display, the speedtch module being loaded, the adsl line synchronising, then the pppd process establishing the connection, and your computer being allocated its ip address and dns servers.
    use ctrl-c to get out of the scrolling messages display.

You should now be connected to the internet.

Please post any questions/problems with the above, and I will try to help.

Darrell
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by darrell; June 29th, 2005 at 12:06 AM. Reason: simplification, feedback