Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mplayer crash

Beans

Exclamation mplayer crash

Hello all,

my problem was I installed mplayer-586 on my hp pavilion dv1250ea, everything seemed to work fine until I tried to watch a dvd.

Then I got this:

---------------------->cut<--------------------------
    Starting playback...

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_audio
    - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
    Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
    disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
    It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
    gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
    DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
    won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
    alsa-uninit: pcm closed

---------------------->cut<--------------------------

xine-totem, and xine-gstreamer also die. I downloaded the sources from mplayerhq and compiled and everything worked then.

Seems an audio problem, if I set -ao none it doesn't crash

Let me know how can I help.

Thanks !

Jorge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: mplayer crash

I have the exact same problem with mplayer and if I set the audio output to OSS instead of ALSA it tells me there will be no audio and plays the dvd fine (minus the sound).

I have also tried ogle and totem, they both freeze. I tried VLC and it plays the dvd with sound, but the video is choppy. DMA is not enabled,but when I try to enable it with "hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd" , i get the message

/dev/dvd:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Permission denied
    using_dma = 0 (off)

Beans

I get the same Mplayer crash when trying to play a dvd:

But mplayer works perfect for all other files, and my dvds play perfect in all other applications and evertything in gstreamer works perfect...

btw to get the hdparm to work you must be a superuser i.e. use sudo. and instead of using /dev/dvd use /.dev/cdrom

so the command is as follows:

sudo hdparm -d1 /.dev/cdrom
    Last edited by pacoman; July 15th, 2005 at 10:48 PM.

Beans

I found a possible solution to the Mplayer crash:

http://www.archivum.info/ubuntu-user.../msg01909.html

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tempest
    I have the exact same problem with mplayer and if I set the audio output to OSS instead of ALSA it tells me there will be no audio and plays the dvd fine (minus the sound).

I have also tried ogle and totem, they both freeze. I tried VLC and it plays the dvd with sound, but the video is choppy. DMA is not enabled,but when I try to enable it with "hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd" , i get the message

/dev/dvd:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Permission denied
    using_dma = 0 (off)
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...3238#post93238
    Last edited by manicka; July 15th, 2005 at 11:07 PM.

Beans

Hello,

I'm new to Ubuntu, having switched from Debian just yesterday. After a mostly enjoyable install, I decided to sit and vegetate in front of some mind-numbing movie for a while. My fresh new Linux distribution had some helpful advice to offer about that decision:

Highly annoying. So after a little well-intentioned cursing and muttering to myself, I strace'd it, and found that liba52 was poking around weird memory addresses (I hear there's a big party for misbehaving audio codecs at 0x0). An apt-get build-dep mplayer; apt-get source mplayer later, I try to see if I can get it to behave. After a little experimentation, I find that if I compile mplayer with the regular ./configure; make we all know and love, it results in a working mplayer that'll play anything I throw at it; whereas if I do a debian/rules binary, I get the segfaulting audio decoder. Obviously, something in the packaging is going wrong.

Now, I don't like having an application the size of mplayer outside my package management, so I checked out the contents of debian/patches -- and sure enough, in debian/patches/03_configure.dpatch, I spot these interesting lines:

Code:
    @@ -1267,7 +1267,7 @@
     # GOTCHA: the variables below defines the default behavior for autodetection
     # and have - unless stated otherwise - at least 2 states : yes no
     # If autodetection is available then the third state is: auto
    -_libavcodec=auto
    +_libavcodec=no
     _libavcodecso=auto
     _libavformat=auto
     _fame=auto
    Oho! We're telling mplayer to not go with its own libavcodec, since we're using the one in Ubuntu. There's an easy "solution", though: After removing this block, mplayer can compile with debian/rules binary, so we get working mplayer-custom packages that can be managed using apt. It's not as good as fixing the broken libavcodec, but it'll work for now.

There's a patch for it at the bottom of this post. To apply the patch, put it in a file, hop into the mplayer source directory and patch -p1 < patchfilename

NOTE: You might need to export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="custom" before you do the build. Otherwise, you get a bunch of empty .debs.

Cheers,
    Simon

Here's the patch:
    Code:
    diff -ruN mplayer-1.0-pre6/debian/patches/03_configure.dpatch mplayer-1.0-pre6-fixed/debian/patches/03_configure.dpatch
    --- mplayer-1.0-pre6/debian/patches/03_configure.dpatch 2005-07-19 00:33:31.974622320 +0200
    +++ mplayer-1.0-pre6-fixed/debian/patches/03_configure.dpatch   2005-07-19 01:25:51.772300520 +0200
    @@ -15,15 +15,6 @@

--- configure.orig 2004-12-25 10:53:30.000000000 +0100
     +++ configure  2004-12-25 10:57:24.000000000 +0100
    -@@ -1267,7 +1267,7 @@
    - # GOTCHA: the variables below defines the default behavior for autodetection
    - # and have - unless stated otherwise - at least 2 states : yes no
    - # If autodetection is available then the third state is: auto
    --_libavcodec=auto
    -+_libavcodec=no
    - _libavcodecso=auto
    - _libavformat=auto
    - _fame=auto
     @@ -5563,16 +5563,16 @@
        echores "yes (using $_livelibdir)"
        _def_live='#define STREAMING_LIVE_DOT_COM 1'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Simon K
    Excellent work! This has been bugging me for ages and now it seems to be finally fixed. I tried a bunch of things but never really nailed it. Building a package using the official pre7 release fixed the crash but the rules file that comes with it generates a package that doesn't work too well on my system.

I also got the same crash with certain non-dvd video files so time will tell whether this fixes those as well (I can't remember any specific ones off the top of my head).

Thanks again.

EDIT: I just realised it must be ones that have the audio encoded as AC3 so I found some and they work. Hooray!
    Last edited by sjmorgan; July 19th, 2005 at 06:58 PM.
    "Being a social outcast helps you stay concentrated on the really important things, like thinking and hacking." - Eric S. Raymond

Beans

I am getting another kind of mplayer crash:

* I have installed mplayer (using synaptic).
    * I have installed the multimedia codecs (http://ubuntuguide.org/#codecs).
    * I have rebooted the computer.
    * I use the MediaPlayerConnectivity plugin to have quicktime trailers play in mplayer.

When I go to apple.com and try to watch a trailer (in quicktime format), mplayer and firefox crashes. (mplayer plays avi and mpeg without problem.)
    This is the output I got four times (different trailers.)

Code:

18:24:50 $  MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
    Compiled for Debian.

Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): [Access denied.]
    Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
    Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
    Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : [This file or directory does not exist.]
    Can't init input joystick
    Setting up LIRC support...
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: [This file or directory does not exist.]
    Failed to open LIRC support.
    You will not be able to use your remote control.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 1 in module: unknown
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
    (some output in swedish translated to english, marked by [].).
    Last edited by kalle314; August 8th, 2005 at 06:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simon K

There's an easy "solution", though: After removing this block, mplayer can compile with debian/rules binary, so we get working mplayer-custom packages that can be managed using apt. It's not as good as fixing the broken libavcodec, but it'll work for now.
    If you're unsure exactly what is meant by "compile with debian/rules binary" (I was). This website may help: http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debian-h...ld-source.html although the good news is that is really is as easy as typing debian/rules binary for the most part.

Also, the patch file didn't quite work for me but I don't know how to fix it. The intention seems pretty obvious though...just remove these lines from the file debian/patches/03_configure.dpatch:

Code:
    @@ -1267,7 +1267,7 @@
     # GOTCHA: the variables below defines the default behavior for autodetection
     # and have - unless stated otherwise - at least 2 states : yes no
     # If autodetection is available then the third state is: auto
    -_libavcodec=auto
    +_libavcodec=no
     _libavcodecso=auto
     _libavformat=auto
     _fame=auto
    Then after you build install the packages like this:

sudo dpkg -i ../*.deb

Beans

could someone translate this into noob for me. I have no clue how to fix this error. Ive been using linux all of 5 days.

plop the code into what file in what folder? I got no clue what the source directory for mplayer is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast