Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth & Kevin Carmony(Linspire CEO)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Mark Shuttleworth & Kevin Carmony(Linspire CEO)

An interesting post in the Linspire forum:

I spent some time at Ubuntu's office in London two weeks ago. Thought I'd share this photo with the forum.

Kevin Carmony (CEO Linspire), Mark Shuttleworth (CEO Canonical/Ubuntu), Jane Silber (COO Canonical), Tom Hoyt (Dir or European Sales Linspire).

Mark and I are trying to find ways to work more closely together for the betterment of Linux and open source. For example, how to get their Rosette project and our IRMA project more closely aligned and helping each other.

We view Ubuntu the way Red Hat view's Fedora...it's a wonderful open source "lab" where development can freely take place. Linspire can then add the necessary things required for distribution by the commercial channel (licensed codecs for mp3, real, quick time, flash, jave, etc., as well as polish, ease of use, support, sales team, etc.).

Ubuntu and Linspire compliment each other very well, and we're excited to have forged a new relationship and work together.

Kevin

Nice T-shirt Mark
    cheers - gabbman
    Linux, The Desktop of Choice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Mark Shuttleworth & Kevin Carmony(Linspire CEO)

hehe very nice shirt.. but just blondes? Ubuntu users should date any pretty woman.... i dont care if a woman is blond, brunete, japanese, african.. etc

Btw.. he is the only that isnt dressed as a bussiness man... but thats what makes ubuntu different

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

nevermind...
    nice pic
    Last edited by RastaMahata; July 8th, 2005 at 08:38 PM.

Beans

A: Kevin doesn't look happy in the pic, but at least the write up makes some sense.

B: Mark looks really happy...and looks like I did before I recently cut my hair TO MAKE SOME MONEY. Maybe that was a bad idea now...

C. I can't wait to see wait to see what some gimper (that sounds bad) will do with this pic.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nice pic!

Just to be curious what were you doing there ? Do you work for Linspire ?

If Linspire takes from Ubuntu and gives back the it's a good thing they cooperate.

Things like cedega and crossoveroffice (or what's that name?) probably won't get in Ubuntu's repositories. I have no problems with that.

But it's nice if there's going to be an Ubuntu based distribution that offers that kind of stuff directly after the installation!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sapo
    hehe very nice shirt.. but just blondes? Ubuntu users should date any pretty woman.... i dont care if a woman is blond, brunete, japanese, african.. etc

Btw.. he is the only that isnt dressed as a bussiness man... but thats what makes ubuntu different
    hehe very nice shirt.. but just pretties? Ubuntu users should date any woman.... i dont care if a woman is pretty, plain or funny looking.. etc etc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    But it's nice if there's going to be an Ubuntu based distribution that offers that kind of stuff directly after the installation!
    Hmmmm...make me think....

The biggest goal for Breezy is to set up a frame work for Ubuntu (launchpad) so its easier to base distros off of Ubuntu. I think Launchpad will be an app that they will charge for to allow businesses to do this.

Maybe, Linspire knows that Ubuntu is getting big in the Debian world (Linspire is based on Debian) so they might be thinking "if it gets really big, we will pay and use launchpad and make an Ubuntu with all the easy stuff added."

That would be nice. Then when people ask "do I have to do all this stuff to get mp3s/java/codecs to work" or "is there an easier way to install programs than synaptic" we will say (well, I will say) "yes but you have to pay!" and point then to Linspire.
    Last edited by poofyhairguy; July 8th, 2005 at 08:39 PM.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by sas
    hehe very nice shirt.. but just pretties? Ubuntu users should date any woman.... i dont care if a woman is pretty, plain or funny looking.. etc etc
    Any?

Its not a wise decision to click on this link.. but if you REALLY think that ubuntu users should date ANY woman... she is available..

http://www.xgn.com.br/fr/img/4237b46d1adc1.jpg

Go ahead.. i wish you good luck
    Last edited by sapo; July 8th, 2005 at 08:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Hmmmm...make me think....

The biggest goal for Breezy is to set up a frame work for Ubuntu (launchpad) so its easier to base distros off of Ubuntu. I think Launchpad will be an app that they will charge for to allow businesses to do this.
    launchpad is going to be a framework which(among other things) makes it easier to create tools to customize ?

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Maybe, Linspire knows that Ubuntu is getting big in the Debian world (Linspire is based on Debian) so they might be thinking "if it gets really big, we will pay and use launchpad and make an Ubuntu with all the easy stuff added."

That would be nice. Then when people ask "do I have to do all this stuff to get mp3s/java/codecs to work" or "is there an easier way to install programs than synaptic" we will say (well, I will say) "yes but you have to pay!" and point then to Linspire.
    If they do it right I will point those people who want to go the easy way to Linspire.

Beans

It's great to hear about cooperation between linux distros.

...while developers for other platforms do their best to make it harder for eachother to be compatible.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast