Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What "using Linux" problems have people encountered?

Beans

Re: What "using Linux" problems have people encountered?

Quote Originally Posted by musicman2059
    4. Linux seem to do a really bad job at multitasking with a 366MHz processor.
    Most modern OSes would.

5. Linux also seems to a a really bad job at managing memory with only 192MB. After startup, I find that 80-85% of my RAM is taken up, almost half of that being cached stuff, (That isn't neccesarily a problem though, seeing it's just a cache) whereas Win98 was only taking around half with no cache.
    Is it slower because of it? Is that Gnome's fault or Linux's?

7. It would be hella better for people without internet connections if some extra multimedia stuff, such as either an MP3 plugin or player, were available right on the CD.
    Its also hella illegal in many important countries.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Most modern OSes would.
    True, but it really sucks when the constant movement of your mouse make the CPU jump to 60, but it's still a hell of a lot more consistent than Win98

Is it slower because of it? Is that Gnome's fault or Linux's?
    I would assume Gnome, because it seems to run okay under terminal-only. However, without an internet connection, I'm in no position to download a less bloated desktop environment such as xfcs.

Its also hella illegal in many important countries.
    Very true.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by musicman2059
    I would assume Gnome, because it seems to run okay under terminal-only. However, without an internet connection, I'm in no position to download a less bloated desktop environment such as xfcs.
    If I was you....I would pay someone to send me a CD with XFCE and its dependancies on it. Quite honestly, Gnome needs 256mb or RAM (it really wants half a gig) and a 700mhz processor before it doesn't suck....
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

My only serious problem is that people say to me, "Do you use XP?" To which I say, "No".
    They say, "What do you use?" I say, "Ubuntu". They say "What?"

Beans

hahaha good one

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

There used to be a lot of configuration (setup) issues with various hardware but that's largely a thing of the past. The exceptions, of course, are bleeding-edge stuff. Still, the developer community is doing a remarkable job here.

Use problems? This is a rather subjective question but if you isolate the issues to specific code-related problems or errors (bugs), and make a sincere effort to exclude what can usually be defined as personal preferences, problems "using " Linux and the various applications provided is almost non-existent. The quality of OSS programs is phenomenal.

You want "use" problems? Go back to MS Windows. At least with Linux I have the option of trying to fix what I don't like. The beauty of being a Linux user exclusively is that I get to play dumb when M$ users come looking for "the computer guy" to fix their mess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

1: I had trouble with the screen resolution that forced me to edit my xorg.conf file.
    2: Installing programs often left me wondering what the hell happened and what I have to do to use that program.
    3: Gnome feels slow to use. The mouse pointer, how menus open, how painfully slow the screen redraws, stuff like that.

Beans

Nautilus will sometimes bitch about being unable to connect to Bonobo when I run it under Openbox or E17. Nothing a reboot can't cure. Evolution seems to die screaming every time I close, so I just use Thunderbird instead. Other than that, I don't have "using Linux" problems. Either I f---ed up the config, or an app is broken.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmj
    3: Gnome feels slow to use. The mouse pointer, how menus open, how painfully slow the screen redraws, stuff like that.
    Gnome is slow. Its made for modern machines. It kicks ass all over the yard with my 2.6 ghz, 512mb RAM workstation.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Gnome is slow. Its made for modern machines. It kicks ass all over the yard with my 2.6 ghz, 512mb RAM workstation.
    It's not bad on my 1.8GHz, 512MB Athlon64 rig, either. But I'm starting to really like Enlightenment 0.17.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast