Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What "using Linux" problems have people encountered?

Beans

Re: What "using Linux" problems have people encountered?

Quote Originally Posted by dataw0lf
    We all know Pentiums > Celeron. We also know that Celerons are less expensive than Pentiums. Extending this amazing logic, why do you think he bought it?
    When he could have gotten a fully functional AMD Athlon chip instead? I don't know. 32bit Athlon is cheaper than Pentium as well, but still beats Celeron into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dataw0lf
    Let's keep the trollish comments to a minimum.
    I didn't think I was trolling, as I was dead serious. I could be wrong, of course.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    When he could have gotten a fully functional AMD Athlon chip instead? I don't know. 32bit Athlon is cheaper than Pentium as well, but still beats Celeron into the ground.
    The point remains that your post offered nothing except provocation.

Don't.
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans

Think about it stormy. Sometimes computers are gifts from those that don't know better (is my case).
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lol
    Some "using Linux" problems:

1 - Poor support for mobile networking. The best tool I could find is the net-applet, but it doesn't take care of the proxy setup. Every time I move my laptop from home to work, getting a working network is a real pain. Every single other tool I tried was almost impossible to setup (but this is no longer a "using" problem...)

Agreed
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

What possessed you to buy a machine with a Celery processor? Celerons are nothing but defective Pentiums.
    The reason was price and temperature/fan noise. It used to be my backup computer, mostly used for irc, when I had my gaming machine standing at a gaming club. And now you know!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Think about it stormy. Sometimes computers are gifts from those that don't know better (is my case).
    OK. I've never received a computer as a gift, so I wouldn't know.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Arrow Re: What "using Linux" problems have people encountered?

Biggest problem is the media.
    If i wanted to help some friends to install Ubuntu on their machine , i could run into problem when getting to the win32codecs. In order for them to be able to watch all the latest stuff i had to install the w32 codecs and it would mean that i did something illegal
    Thats the biggest problem as far as i can see

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Teroedni
    Biggest problem is the media.
    If i wanted to help some friends to install Ubuntu on their machine , i could run into problem when getting to the win32codecs. In order for them to be able to watch all the latest stuff i had to install the w32 codecs and it would mean that i did something illegal
    Thats the biggest problem as far as i can see

Tis a problem, and not one Linux and its community can fix easily. If you need legal codecs, the only choice is Linspire.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Teroedni
    In order for them to be able to watch all the latest stuff i had to install the w32 codecs and it would mean that i did something illegal.
    It's only illegal if they catch you and convict you. And the government can't nail everybody who breaks its silly laws; there'd be suckers^Wtaxpayers to feed off of.

Beans

Another small but really annoying "using" problem:

I have 3 hard drives, 2 of which should almost always be in sleep mode (I seldom use them AND they are really noisy). Doing the setup to make both of them go in sleep mode after 5 minutes is pretty much straightforward, so no complaint here.

The problem is that everytime I want to Open/Save a file using a gnome application (and maybe others as well, but I am not sure), or I want to browse my folders with Nautilus, something is waking up ALL my drives, even though I never directly access the filesystems on those drives...

As I said, it's a small problem, but still: I have to wait about 10s for all my drives to wake up, and the computer become noisy for the next 5 minutes.

This is a good example of the dozens of problems that are bugging Linux. Each of those, alone, doesn't really matter. But when all added together, they contribute to make Linux a plateform that is always one step behind Windows for the average user.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast