Thread: Cedega / Call of Duty sound problems

Beans

Cedega / Call of Duty sound problems

I recently installed Cedega to play some windows-only games, as those are the only reason I boot into Windows anymore. When trying to play Call of Duty however, I run into some problems. I can hear sounds just fine, but sometimes my game will just freeze for a few seconds, then resume. Obviously in a game like CoD, that gets you killed pretty fast.

I know this is a problem with the sound, as disabling sound in Cedega (for example by running BMP when starting the game) fixes the problem and all is well. Except I have no sound. I've followed various guides on this forum to fix this problem, most recently this one and this one, however the problem persists.

Can anybody help me with this? This is pretty much the only thing keeping me from fully moving to Ubuntu

EDIT: It should be noted that playing native games seems to work fine. UT2004 (more specifically the UTXMP mod for it) runs without a hitch. Something that might be related is that sometimes when playing a song in BMP, it will suddenly stop playing, and I have to press "Pause" twice for it to continue

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by rvarma; August 2nd, 2005 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Cedega / Call of Duty sound problems

i had the same problem in wc3 but it didnt particuarly bother me, rebooting and the running it before anything else seeemed to fix it, or you can try

fuser -k /dev/dsp
    cedega cod.exe or whatever call of duty is
    that kills all other sound before starting the game, i have to do that to play enemy territory and thats native, if that dont fix it im afraid i dont know

Beans

I was having the same problems with my nvidia onboard sound. I never found a suitable fix, and finally had to install a pci sblive. I had been plagued with numerous sound issues but now everything is perfect. I run nearly all the latest games, with no problems. Other than a little mixer tweak that needs to be done upon installation, I have had similar success with the audigy and audigy 2.

Art

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy_Palms
    i had the same problem in wc3 but it didnt particuarly bother me, rebooting and the running it before anything else seeemed to fix it, or you can try

fuser -k /dev/dsp
    cedega cod.exe or whatever call of duty is
    that kills all other sound before starting the game, i have to do that to play enemy territory and thats native, if that dont fix it im afraid i dont know
    Yeah someone suggested that in IRC a while back, but unfortunately that doesn't fix it :\

Quote Originally Posted by artinla
    I was having the same problems with my nvidia onboard sound. I never found a suitable fix, and finally had to install a pci sblive. I had been plagued with numerous sound issues but now everything is perfect. I run nearly all the latest games, with no problems. Other than a little mixer tweak that needs to be done upon installation, I have had similar success with the audigy and audigy 2.

Art
    Unfortunately replacing the soundcard isn't an option for me, as I'm running Ubuntu on a laptop (Inspiron 8600).

Thanks for the replies!