Thread: Aptitude vs Synaptic

Beans

Aptitude vs Synaptic

Hi!
    I am newbe and a bit confused with the fact the Ubuntu is forcing Synaptic while on the Net you can find that Aptitude is mostly recommended as better. From my point of view, Synaptic is easier (especially in Search options), but I am ready to get familiar with Aptitute if this is the one. Hence, can anyone explain which of the two is better and why?

Sincerely,
    pmilin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Aptitude vs Synaptic

Quote Originally Posted by pmilin@ptt.yu
    Hi!
    I am newbe and a bit confused with the fact the Ubuntu is forcing Synaptic while on the Net you can find that Aptitude is mostly recommended as better. From my point of view, Synaptic is easier (especially in Search options), but I am ready to get familiar with Aptitute if this is the one. Hence, can anyone explain which of the two is better and why?

Sincerely,
    pmilin
    Synaptic is definately less scary for a newbie. You have to keyboard navigate in Aptitude. It also has more advanced searching, and has a sources.list editor built in.

One thing Aptitude does better is remembers the dependencies for each package. For example:

- install package A
    - package A depends on package B so B is installed
    - remove package A
    - Aptitude remembers that package B is a dependency of package A, and finds that no other packages rely on it, so package B is removed also

Aptitude is faster to use once you get the hang of it.

L.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ltmon View Post
    One thing Aptitude does better is remembers the dependencies for each package.
    Why doesn't Synaptic?
    "Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There is always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. ... Try to think as a green user and choose the simplest solution." — Code of Conduct

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ltmon View Post
    Aptitude remembers that package B is a dependency of package A, and finds that no other packages rely on it, so package B is removed also
    I think since Ubuntu 7.10, Synaptic and Apt-Get has the same capability of removing orphan packages.

Plus, I find that Synaptic and Apt-Get detection of orphan packages is much better than Aptitude.

Beans

Buffalo Soldier... link, case?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danf_1979 View Post
    Buffalo Soldier... link, case?
    Just from my personal experience. Aptitude will sometimes try to uninstall packages that are not actually "orphan". Plus, I'm already used to sudo apt-get autoremove

Beans

I have a question regarding this orphan thing. Somehow it seems that apt-get autoremove frobnitz does not remove all dependencies that were installed together with package "frobnitz".

Example. Today I installed the tex-editor Kile. It needed 73 extra packages to be installed as well. When I removed it again I found only 32 packages marked as "no longer required". Among others, the KDE and qt libraries that were installed along with Kile were not marked for removal.

Since I don't have any other programs depending on these KDE libraries, why are they not marked orphan as well?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zwaardmeester View Post
    I have a question regarding this orphan thing. Somehow it seems that apt-get autoremove frobnitz does not remove all dependencies that were installed together with package "frobnitz".

Example. Today I installed the tex-editor Kile. It needed 73 extra packages to be installed as well. When I removed it again I found only 32 packages marked as "no longer required". Among others, the KDE and qt libraries that were installed along with Kile were not marked for removal.

Since I don't have any other programs depending on these KDE libraries, why are they not marked orphan as well?
    FIRST step, remove the application:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove frobnitz
    OR
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge frobnitz
    remove: Uninstall without removing configuration files
    purge: Complete uninstall, remove everything including configuration files

SECOND step, remove any orphaned packaged:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove