Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Beans

Re: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

So let me get this straight, I spend hours trying to get a program to work they way that I want it to in WINE-but a virus has no problem running on it's own?

YES- WINE REALLY IS LIKE WINDOWS!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rasbach View Post
    YES- WINE REALLY IS LIKE WINDOWS!!!
    Please quit it with the caps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    I'm running ClamAv native in Linux not under wine. I haven't used any wine programs since I discovered the virus, and have been scanning my system to get rid of it. If wine runs, it could potentially spread the virus again, and I would spend all this time scanning again.
    It is unlikely that wine can spread any of your viruses if you delet your ~/.wine folder and create a new .wine directory. This will be like a complete new windows installation. But make sure that no wine-process is running when you delet ~/.wine so you probaply have to kill some processes.

But I'm still not sure what happened to some of those guyes in this thread. Some said that they had files on drive Z: (which is usually / ) but how could the virus copy anything on / when you open wine as user? Or did somebody start wine as root?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by linuksamiko View Post
    It is unlikely that wine can spread any of your viruses if you delet your ~/.wine folder and create a new .wine directory. This will be like a complete new windows installation. But make sure that no wine-process is running when you delet ~/.wine so you probaply have to kill some processes.
    True, but would also require I completely re-setup wine. I had a nice wine setup, that took some work to achieve. I'm wait for the scanning to stop and see if all was removed and still works first.

Quote Originally Posted by linuksamiko View Post
    But I'm still not sure what happened to some of those guyes in this thread. Some said that they had files on drive Z: (which is usually / ) but how could the virus copy anything on / when you open wine as user? Or did somebody start wine as root?
    Actually I think that drive Z: is mapped to /home/user/ Kind of like My Documents. I could be wrong, but I think that is how it works. I didn't start wine as root, and I did have some 700+ viruses in my /home/user directory. Just finished that scan. What a learning experience.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great topic, no wonder it made top of digg.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post

Actually I think that drive Z: is mapped to /home/user/ Kind of like My Documents. I could be wrong, but I think that is how it works. I didn't start wine as root, and I did have some 700+ viruses in my /home/user directory. Just finished that scan. What a learning experience.

Shane
    AFAIK is /home/user/ drive N: (with basic settings) and Z: is / but this doesn't matter anyway. The big question is:
    Could a virus write something on / if the user doesn't have write permission? I don't know how that could be possible but maybe it is a security breach in wine or something like that.
    Somebody in this thread said that he had viruses in /usr/<DIRECTORY>/ but how can something like this happen if you are a regular user?

Beans

Got a question. How is the virus, emulated by wine, supposed to be able to copy itself to / directories if it didn't get any SUDO privileges?

Btw. I want to restrict wine to my /.wine folder. How do I do that?
    Is there a way ubuntu can warn me before opening any executable file?
    Last edited by shironeko; February 23rd, 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by shironeko View Post
    Got a question. How is the virus, emulated by wine, supposed to be able to copy itself to / directories if it didn't get any SUDO privileges?

Btw. I want to restrict wine to my /.wine folder. How do I do that?
    Is there a way ubuntu can warn me before opening any executable file?
    Hi,

Run winecfg and go to the hardrives tab. Remove the entries that you want.

That should make wine not see anything but what you leave there.

J
    Last edited by juhanfg; February 23rd, 2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: mistaken command

Beans

lawl,

this is why i love you guys... running viruses in ubuntu just to see what would happen. I lol'd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by vinmar View Post
    This just shows how great Wine is. Windows virii bust your PC, exactly as they would under Windows.
    XD Ha ha! That made my day.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast