Thread: apt-get fully dead/broken

Beans

apt-get fully dead/broken

I tried to install mplayer today thinking Totem couldn't play videos encoded with w32codecs.

Seems I was wrong and Totem works perfectly fine.

However, whenever I try to install/remove or do ANYTHING with apt-get, it returns the same error continuously:

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    libswt-pocketpc3-java: Depends: libswt-pocketpc3-jni (= 3.0-2) but it is not going to be installed
    mplayer-586: Depends: liblame0 (>= 3.96-sarge1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    However, when I try to install liblame0, so I can get apt-get working again, I get

Unpacking liblame0 (from .../liblame0_3.96.1-1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/liblame0_3.96.1-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0.0.0', which is also in package libmp3lame0
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/liblame0_3.96.1-1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    MPlayer has been installed, however it doesn't work, so it's useless. I just want to get rid of it now and get apt-get working again. I feel really handicapped without it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: apt-get fully dead/broken

You have buggered dependancies. One package is from an unofficial repository so these things happen. You need to do
    sudo apt-get -f install

For it to fix itself. Try finding a different version (or repository) for the package that it gets rid of...
    One that will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: apt-get fully dead/broken

Quote Originally Posted by Quest-Master
    I tried to install mplayer today thinking Totem couldn't play videos encoded with w32codecs.

Seems I was wrong and Totem works perfectly fine.

However, whenever I try to install/remove or do ANYTHING with apt-get, it returns the same error continuously:

However, when I try to install liblame0, so I can get apt-get working again, I get

MPlayer has been installed, however it doesn't work, so it's useless. I just want to get rid of it now and get apt-get working again. I feel really handicapped without it.
    Do this:

dpkg --force-all -i /var/cache/apt/archives/liblame0_3.96.1-1_i386.deb

apt-get -f install
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden