Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Compatible Hardware List Application with cool features..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Compatible Hardware List Application with cool features..

Quote Originally Posted by thieummm
    Hi tehwa,

where does this screenshot comes from ?
    It looks like a Gnome App, and I'm using KDE...

Thanks, that looks great !
    It's in Hoary default (and probably Breezy) under:

System Tools > Ubuntu Device Database

It's a great idea, I really hope Canonical are going to use this data for the purpose that you proposed. It is one of the few positive approaches I have come across to pressuring device manufacturers to add linux to their compatability lists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Sorry to double post, but after some very brief investigation:

1. It appears that the device database in Ubuntu is primarily used by the Ubuntu developers.

2. The site which houses that data is http://hwdb.ubuntu.com/ which at this time, is undergoing maintenance, probably stays in that state though (?).

3. It appears that the format of the device database entries of users is XML, which would make extracting and manipulating the (probably massive amounts of) data that has already been collected by Canonical about Ubuntu users hardware easier than any other format, IMHO.

Perhaps something could be arranged here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Perhaps a sub-forum could be created here to host such a database...

Sort of like this one:
    http://www.linuxcompatible.org/

Of course, the above database is continuously developing and does recognize the Ubuntu distro, already, so to create yet another one might seem superfluous.
    Last edited by WirelessMike; October 12th, 2005 at 02:18 PM.
    "Hey, it just sounds to me like you need to unplug, man." -Choi, The Matrix

Beans

One original idea to make hardware work with Ubuntu: make an application that lists all the hardware that is currently compatible with Linux (and supported by Ubuntu).

In this application, it will be possible to search for a device using hints such as hardware type, brand, etc... The app could contain links to vendor websites, etc...

This way users will be sure their new device will be supported.
    Dumb question, but why not use Google to search for compatible gear? I do it all the time.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    Dumb question, but why not use Google to search for compatible gear? I do it all the time.
    Because you are a computer-savvy guy ! You know how to use Google, etc...
    Ubuntu is all about making things easy for any people...

Also, it might be good to have a centralised, "trusted" (sort of) database, that is, an Ubuntu-centric database.

We are talking about Ubuntu here, not Linux Kernel Drivers that are spread all over the net...

Beans

Also, it might be good to have a centralised, "trusted" (sort of) database, that is, an Ubuntu-centric database.
    Sure, an Ubuntu HCL (hardware compatibility list) might be a good idea, but it requires manpower. Somebody has to compile it and then maintain it. And the guy who's working on the HCL isn't working on bugfixes or new features.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WirelessMike
    Perhaps a sub-forum could be created here to host such a database...

Sort of like this one:
    http://www.linuxcompatible.org/

Of course, the above database is continuously developing and does recognize the Ubuntu distro, already, so to create yet another one might seem superfluous.
    I am going to repeat myself, but linuxcompatible.org is not going to be used by the new_guy_who_has_just_switched_to_ubuntu ...

This Hardware Compatibility list should be labeled as "Ubuntu Compatibility List" and its access should be easy from within the (K)Ubuntu Desktop (web or native app).

OK so the Current Ubuntu Hardware Database might be a good start. They could provide a user front end to their database, with information only relevant to user (e.g. supported, partly supported, not supported..., Device ID, Vendor ID, Vendor Name....)...

Maybe we should talk to them ?

Beans

Sure, an Ubuntu HCL (hardware compatibility list) might be a good idea, but it requires manpower. Somebody has to compile it and then maintain it. And the guy who's working on the HCL isn't working on bugfixes or new features.
    yes, it definitely needs manpower !
    ... like every (new) feature does !!!

Beans

I am going to repeat myself, but linuxcompatible.org is not going to be used by the new_guy_who_has_just_switched_to_ubuntu ...
    The new_guy_who_has_just_switched_to_ubuntu usually doesn't read the documentation already provided, and often asks questions on the forums that can be answered by looking at the Wiki, the FAQs, or by reading the Ubuntu Guide. Wouldn't the HCL you propose be one more bit of documentation that the newbies don't read?

Beans

The new_guy_who_has_just_switched_to_ubuntu usually doesn't read the documentation already provided, and often asks questions on the forums that can be answered by looking at the Wiki, the FAQs, or by reading the Ubuntu Guide. Wouldn't the HCL you propose be one more bit of documentation that the newbies don't read?
    I don't know. It depends on how this new information is presented.
    If it's an icon on the Desktop "Buy New Hardware", the user will probably be intrigued, and if the interface is friendly, the user will easily get familiar with the application...
    It can be a highly "marketed" feature on Ubuntu's website...

Maybe it will not be addressed to the new_guy_etc but the same guy who has passed a few steps in Linux Knowledge... A more conscious user that knows that Hardware Devices are quite problematic in Linux...without wanting to waste his time to know more... I don't know...

This is a positive discussion. Let's go on guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast