Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Double Clock Speed Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HOWTO: Double Clock Speed Problem

This is a HOWTO about a problem which can be very annoying and which affects mainly the computers with AMD64 processor (but not only) with some motherboards (e.g. my motherboard: MSI RS480). If you notice that the mouse pointer freezes randomly and everything goes slow then you might be affected by the “Double Clock Speed” problem.

Make sure this is your problem:

open: Applications – System Tools - "System Monitor" (from the menu in GNOME). If you have only KDE (then maybe you're using Kubuntu) you should install System Monitor by using Synaptic (as I've noticed “KSysguard” in KDE doesn't detect the problem). Click on “Resources”: you will see “CPU1”: and the percentage of usage of your processor. If the percentage is high (try this without any programs running), i.e. something like 50% or more then you have this problem.

Another test: play an mp3 in Totem (or another app). If it goes too fast then you have this problem

UBUNTU 64bit SECTION

NOTE: this trick works on 64bit systems ONLY (if you want to use Ubuntu 32bit you should look at the end of the page or you will have to patch your kernel, something which will not be dealt in this HOWTO).

I had this problem and I solved it thanks to NickB's help, so all the credits go to him. Thanks again Nick.

Alberto

[You need a kernel 2.6.12.x or higher (and a 64 bit Ubuntu system of course).
    The one which comes with Ubuntu Breezy is ok.]

1) Launch “Terminal” (or “Konsole”) (the command line) and prompt:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    (or if you use KDE put kate instead of gedit, or nano if you haven't them, which is unlikely)

look for these lines:

## ## Start Default Options ## ## default kernel options ## default kernel options for automagic boot options ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted. ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro # kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro console=tty0 no_timer_check

Just add no_timer_check in the kopt line (exactly where you see it in the example above, LEAVE THE REST OF YOUR FILE UNTOUCHED)

3) Save the file and restart your computer (otherwise the trick might not work)

4) After you have restarted your computer open “Terminal” (or Konsole) and prompt:

sudo update-grub

5) restart your computer again

Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UBUNTU 32BIT SECTION

This trick doesn't work for everyone (it depends on your hardware). For this reason I suggest you to try it on an Ubuntu Livecd

1)

a) If you haven't installed Ubuntu 32 bit yet...

The only way to find out without installing Ubuntu 32bit is to use an Ubuntu (32-bit) LIVECD and to try to prompt one (and ONLY 1 PER TIME) of the following options at boot:

1) noapic nolapic
    OR
    2) noapic acpi=noirq
    OR
    3) noapic acpi=off
    OR
    4) noapictimer
    OR
    5) noapictimer irqpoll
    OR
    6) noapic acpi=noirq nolapic

If you don't know how to do it follow these steps:
    Boot the Ubuntu live CD
    You will see a screen with the Ubuntu logo and the word "boot:" at the bottom of the page (if you don't do anything for several seconds the Livecd will go ahead and you won't be able to type anything)
    type (the words will appear beside "root:") "Live + the boot option" (e.g. "Live noapic nolapic") and press Enter

Then the livecd should work as usual.

OTHERWISE

b) If you have installed Ubuntu...
    If you have installed Ubuntu and you want to see if it works for you:

Turn on your computer and keep pressing "ESC" until you get to the GRUB menu.

Select your kernel with your keyboard arrows (DO NOT PRESS ENTER) and Press "e".
    Then you will see 3 lines:
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro quiet splash
    initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-10-k7
    Select the line which begins with the word "kernel" and press "e" to edit it.

Add one [ONLY ONE i.e. only 1) or only 2) ] of the following things at the end of the line:

1) noapic nolapic
    so that it will look like this:
    Code:
    kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-k7 root=/dev/hdb1 ro quiet splash noapic nolapic
    OR
    2) noapic acpi=noirq
    OR
    3) noapic acpi=off
    OR
    4) noapictimer
    OR
    5) noapictimer irqpoll
    OR
    6) noapic acpi=off
    OR
    7) noapic acpi=noirq nolapic
    OR
    8 ) clock=pmtmr notsc
    OR
    9) notsc

Then get off the text field and press "b" to boot the kernel.

See if it works.
    If Ubuntu DOESN'T boot, it hangs or you can't use your internet connection just reboot and follow the instructions again but try with option 2) or 3), 4), etc. until you solve your problem.

When you find the boot options which work for you [ 1), 2) or 3), etc. ] you have to set them permanently (because the options you have jsut set will only last until you reboot).

Follow the first part of the guide (the one about Ubuntu 64 bit) and put the options which work for you (e.g. "noapic nolapic") instead of "no_timer_check".

Enjoy!

Alberto
    Last edited by tseliot; May 25th, 2006 at 11:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Double Clock Speed Problem

Hey guys, I have updated the guide with a new instruction (which solved the problem on my father's computer).
    It's for Ubuntu 32bit. Now noapic won't make your computer hang!

Check it out!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    Hey guys, I have updated the guide with a new instruction (which solved the problem on my father's computer).
    It's for Ubuntu 32bit. Now noapic won't make your computer hang!

Check it out!

Thanks. After reading your guide I feel better! I thought my computer was just unstable with Ubuntu!
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Thanks. After reading your guide I feel better! I thought my computer was just unstable with Ubuntu!
    I'm glad it helped you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Seems, Ive seen this before. Anyhow, ill post here also. For me the only thing that works is, noapic apci=off. With AMD64 cpu and running 32 bit Ubuntu.
    Excuse for excessive game playing, #4:
    "Game? No, I think this is some kind of
    computer virus that has taken over the screen.
    I've been trying to get rid of it all day."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Question Re: HOWTO: Double Clock Speed Problem

I've tried every tip listed here, and none of them work completely.
    "noapic nolapic": Crashed before it finished booting
    "noapic acpi=noirq": Fixed the clock speed problem, but broke my internet connection. "eth0 not ready" or some error like it.
    "noapic apci=off": Fixed the clock speed problem, but broke my internet connection. "eth0 not ready" or some error like it.
    "no_timer_check": Did absolutely nothing. I knew that it wouldn't work, but I had to try anyway.

My computer:
    HP a1130n
    The only additions are a eVGA nVidia GeForce 5500 graphics card, a Logitech MX518 mouse, and a 60 Gb hard drive on which Kubuntu 5.10 resides. Here are the base specs, if it helps.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00388382

I must admit that I'm a Linux newbie, but I am absolutely sure that I followed all of the steps as they were listed. So, am I going to be stuck at double speed forever?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by duhriddler
    I've tried every tip listed here, and none of them work completely.
    "noapic nolapic": Crashed before it finished booting
    "noapic acpi=noirq": Fixed the clock speed problem, but broke my internet connection. "eth0 not ready" or some error like it.
    "noapic apci=off": Fixed the clock speed problem, but broke my internet connection. "eth0 not ready" or some error like it.
    "no_timer_check": Did absolutely nothing. I knew that it wouldn't work, but I had to try anyway.

My computer:
    HP a1130n
    The only additions are a eVGA nVidia GeForce 5500 graphics card, a Logitech MX518 mouse, and a 60 Gb hard drive on which Kubuntu 5.10 resides. Here are the base specs, if it helps.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00388382

I must admit that I'm a Linux newbie, but I am absolutely sure that I followed all of the steps as they were listed. So, am I going to be stuck at double speed forever?
    My father's computer has an MSI 7093 motherboard and I solved its problem with "noapic acpi=noirq" and the internet (ethernet) connection works.

"noapic nolapic" makes the computer hang at boot.

My father's computer is a Compaq presario but you know Compaq and HP are almost the same thing (I think HP owns Compaq, I mght be wrong though).
    I'm currently using the latest BIOS and it solved a bug which made the entire computer freeze in Linux. Unfortunately currently there's no bios available for your computer at the moment.

Another thing you should do from the BIOS is to set the preferred graphic card (select PCI-E instead of PCI) otherwise you might have some problems.

By the way which version of Ubuntu are you using, 32bit(x86) or 64bit (AMD64)?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I'm using Kubuntu 32-bit version 5.10. I was trying out the 64-bit version, but there were some programs that didn't work in it because it was 64-bit. Also, I heard it was a little on the buggy side. I already have the latest BIOS installed, so that shouldn't be an issue. My graphics card is PCI, so setting it to PCI-E probably isn't a good idea... So basically I'm stuck playing games twice as fast and having it be 10:00 PM at 6:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by duhriddler
    I'm using Kubuntu 32-bit version 5.10. I was trying out the 64-bit version, but there were some programs that didn't work in it because it was 64-bit. Also, I heard it was a little on the buggy side. I already have the latest BIOS installed, so that shouldn't be an issue. My graphics card is PCI, so setting it to PCI-E probably isn't a good idea... So basically I'm stuck playing games twice as fast and having it be 10:00 PM at 6:00 PM.
    Sorry, maybe I didn't read your post too carefully.

1) How can you use a Geforce 5500 if your motherboard hasn't got an AGP slot???

Have a look at the motherboard's specs:http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...M2-IL&class=mb

Maybe you have another motherboard

2) Try this instead of the boot parameters in the guide (i.e. noapic nolapi, etc.):
    Code:
    notsc
    And if it doesn't work try this:
    Code:
    clock=pmtmr notsc
    3) I have noticed you mispelled a boot parameter:
    It's noapic acpi=off (and not "noapic apci=off")

Tell me if one of the parameters suggested above works

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130255
    2) Tried both, both left me at a blinking _ . I also tried the "noapic nolapi" thing again and wrote down the error messages on the screen after the "OK, booting kernel...":
    [4294671.514000] BIOS bug, local APIC #0 not detected!...
    [4294671.566000] PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 3 of device 0000:00:00.0

Perhaps you can get more from them than I can...
    3) I wrote it down correctly on a sticky note, but I cut/pasted a misspelled version of it. Oh well, no biggie.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast