Thread: HOW TO : Printing to Windows XP printer from Ubuntu Gutsy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HOW TO : Printing to Windows XP printer from Ubuntu Gutsy

Hello,

while trying to find a solution to this problem I have to say that I didn't come across a definite how to. These are the steps I followed on how to configure my ubuntu gutsy pc in order to print to a windows xp machine. Both of these computers share the same network.

Before you do anything go to synaptic and install samba.

1) Go to System -> Administration -> Printing

There choose the New Printer icon.

2) Select Network Printer and Windows Printer via Samba

There you will see a small window on your right. There there is a smb// option in which you should type very carefuly three different things :
    the_name_of_the_WORKGROUP/the_ip_address_of_the_windows_machine/the_name_of_the_printer

for example ubuntu/123.456.78.90/HPdeskjet

Click the next box, put your username and password (of your ubuntu machine) click forward and you are ok. In order to verify your success print a test page (the windows machine should be open, also it should allow other computers to connect to it-for the latter the solution might be here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsXPPrinter).

In order to find the name of the workgroup (from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=samba+printer) :
    To find out the Workgroup name in Windows follow these steps:

- Click "START"
    - Click "Control Panel"
    - Click "System"
    - Click the 2nd Tab entitled "Computername" and find the name of the Workgroup there.

I hope this is helpful,
    Regards!

Beans

Re: HOW TO : Printing to Windows XP printer from Ubuntu Gutsy

Thanks for posting this. I've been wrestling with gutsy's "upgraded" print dialog ever since I upgraded from 7.04. This really cleared it up for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: HOW TO : Printing to Windows XP printer from Ubuntu Gutsy

is there anyway to do this for networks that use dynamic ip or are we going to have to just keep changing the ip address?

EDIT: I answered my own question. If you put the name of the computer in place of its IP, then it should do the same thing. This way you don't have to worry about the IP address constantly being a pain.
    Last edited by TUOggy; April 11th, 2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: found solution