Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make QT apps look more Gnome'ish

arnieboy Guest

HOWTO: Make QT apps look more Gnome'ish

Originally written by FLeiXiuS

Edited and rewritten By arnieboy

Polymer QT Theme

1.) You will need to install qt3-qtconfig in order to change the styles.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install qt3-qtconfig
    2.) Now it's time to install the theme. download and install the following package:
    Code:
    wget http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~mkrause/debian/polymer/polymer_0.3.2-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i polymer_0.3.2-1_i386.deb
    3.) Lastly install msttcorefonts. (These are not required but it makes the style look SMOOTH!)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
    4.) Now that the files are installed lets get to the config!
    Code:
    qtconfig
    5.) Lets change the font before hand to make it look even sweeter in the end. I decided to use Sans Serif 10pt. Make the following changes...
    Code:
    -Default Font-
    Family: Sans Serif
    Style: Normal
    Point Size: 10
    6.) Now click on the Library Paths tab. In the input-box at the bottom enter "/usr/plugins" (minus quotes) and then click add.

7.) Now in the Appearance tab, select Polymer as your GUI style.

8.) Go to File>Save. Exit the program and your almost done!

Another great benefit of this theme is that it has TRANSPARENCY!!
    Code:
    polymer-config
    Down around the bottom you'll see "KDE Style Settings", change the "Transparency Engine" to "Software Tint" and then close the application. You will be prompted to save, click yes of course.

For other KDE applications, you'll need kcontrol.

1.) Install kcontrol
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kcontrol
    2.) Configuring the new theme.
    Code:
    kcontrol
    3.) Click Appearance and Themes--->Style and select the "Polymer" theme.
    4.) Click Appearance and Themes-->Fonts-->Adjust all fonts and check the "font" box and change to Sans Serif and the "size" box to change the size to 10
    Apply and exit

Credits:
    1) Kassetra
    2) GilGalad
    Last edited by arnieboy; February 28th, 2006 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: Make QT apps look more Gnome'ish

Tested and approved
    Come on, search is easier than posting!
    UbuntuForums Search | Ubuntu Wiki | UbuntuGuide | GoogleLinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Excellent, works. But the howto needs to be cleaned up. You have duplicated steps and I can see that a novice could get to the first 5 steps wondering why the theme isn't showing up. Can you please give it a full clean up and remove anything that isn't required?

Beans

Before / After Screenshots Below!
    Where? ^^

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by matthias_k
    Where? ^^
    no screenshots.. sorry. but this thing works (I have tested it myself). Its someone else's howto and I am just transferring it to the breezy forum cuz thats my job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by flibblesan
    The howto needs to be cleaned up. You have duplicated steps and I can see that a novice could get to the first 5 steps wondering why the theme isn't showing up. Can you please give it a full clean up and remove anything that isn't required?
    arnie, I read your reply to flibblesan, and I think a editing would be very helpful. I really don't think it should be left the way it is. It's confusing. It's hard to know that/what you're quoting, and thus hard to know where your howto starts and ends. I'm going back and forth between your post here and flexius's post, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Reading for another time, I'm not sure of the reason why steps 1-5 were repeated.

I was wondering why you wanted to keep flexius's words. Perhaps you feel that you don't want to take undue credit, or perhaps you don't want to rip him off. And this would be very noble of you. Well, you could cite his article at the beginning, saying "This howto is based on Flexius's howto for hoary." You could give mention that this is someone else's post, but you don't have to leave things the way they are. If you really want to keep flexius's words, you could at least format the design to make it easy to see what's going on.

yours...
    Last edited by hanzj; October 18th, 2005 at 02:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Because he just copied the whole darned thing... he's trying to move things over which work in Breezy, not rewrite everything. Quit yelling at the man for making this easy for you to find.
    Want an invite to Gmail? Email or PM me!

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj
    arnie, I read your reply to flibblesan, and I think a editing would be very helpful. I really don't think it should be left the way it is. It's confusing. It's hard to know that/what you're quoting, and thus hard to know where your howto starts and ends. I'm going back and forth between your post here and flexius's post, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Reading for another time, I'm not sure of the reason why steps 1-5 were repeated.

I was wondering why you wanted to keep flexius's words. Perhaps you feel that you don't want to take undue credit, or perhaps you don't want to rip him off. And this would be very noble of you. Well, you could cite his article at the beginning, saying "This howto is based on Flexius's howto for hoary." You could give mention that this is someone else's post, but you don't have to leave things the way they are. If you really want to keep flexius's words, you could at least format the design to make it easy to see what's going on.

yours...
    I am just doing my job here.. typically I dont like editing howto's of other people... but the kids are screaming too loud on this thread.. so I will rewrite the first post when I get time.

arnieboy Guest

does the Howto look any neater now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    does the Howto look any neater now?
    Arnie, it looks great! On behalf of all the ubuntu Gnome kids, thank you.
    Last edited by hanzj; October 19th, 2005 at 12:09 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast