Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HOWTO: Install Linux DC++ (the easy way)

arnieboy Guest

[SOLVED] HOWTO: Install Linux DC++ (the easy way)

Written by mird
    Edited by arnieboy
    What is DC++?
    DC++ announces the freedom to share! DC++ is an open source client for the Direct Connect protocol. Direct Connect allows you to share files over the internet without restrictions or limits. The client is completely free of advertisements and has a nice, easy to use interface. Firewall and router support is integrated and it’s easy and convenient to use functionality like multi-hub connections, auto connections and resuming of downloads.
    09/Aug/2005 - More CVS commits, as per usual see the project changelog for details. New package details in the instructions below.

24/Jul/2005 - Another recent commit (see the project changelog for details) and a new package which should also (hopefully) fix the dependency issues for anyone not using Backports. I've updated the instructions below to reflect the new package.

01/Jul/2005 - There were a few commits to the dcpp repository in the last week (see the project changelog for details) so I've built and packaged it up for all. Also added menu file for those that wanted it (plz test k thx!). To install (or upgrade to) the latest package follow the steps below.

---

I've built and packaged the latest version (plus some patches - currently only the user-commands patch by s4kk3 as mentioned here) of Linux DC++ for anyone who is interested. Development on this particular project is a bit unorganised and rather intermittent but I'll do my best to maintain the latest version. Note that this is considered unstable software. There are bugs'o'plenty and although it works quite satisfactorily for me, it may not for you. Please submit useful bug reports to the project's bugtracker.

There may be some additional dependencies which I didn't note as this is the first time I've tried to decipher dependencies from a built binary. Never-the-less do let me know if you have any problems.

INSTALL / UPGRADE

1. Install dependencies.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libatk1.0-0 libbz2-1.0 libc6 libgcc1 libglade2-0 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libxml2 zlib1g
    2. Fetch the package.
    Code:
    wget http://newstuff.orcon.net.nz/ubuntu/dcpp/dcpp_0.0.20050809cvs-1~mird_i386.deb
    3. Install the package.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i dcpp_0.0.20050809cvs-1~mird_i386.deb
    And that's it! There should now be a Linux DC++ icon under Applications -> Internet.
    Last edited by arnieboy; October 19th, 2005 at 06:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: HOWTO: Install Linux DC++ (the easy way)

You can also add it under "Add Applications" under the Applications menu

Thanks for posting

Beans

For the benefit of those of us who don't (or didn't) know why we would or would not want to do this, perhaps you could explain what DC++ is?

(Apparently a file-sharing client which sort of looks like IRC -- http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/ )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

If you dont want the bugs of this old version then please build it from CVS.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89603
    Last edited by WetWilly; November 13th, 2005 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deception
    You can also add it under "Add Applications" under the Applications menu

Thanks for posting
    The thing in Add Applications is the normal (i.e. not as good) Direct Connect client, not DC++.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hey arnieboy, does the bugs you're talking about include the program not placing finished downloads in the download directory and just leaving them in the Incomplete folder?
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NeoChaosX
    Hey arnieboy, does the bugs you're talking about include the program not placing finished downloads in the download directory and just leaving them in the Incomplete folder?
    I wasnt talking abt the bugs, mird was. u might wanna mail him if u have any q's.

Beans

Hi,

Very newbie question but how do I uninstall DC++ or any other .deb package

Thanks...

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBlouin
    Hi,

Very newbie question but how do I uninstall DC++ or any other .deb package

Thanks...
    open synaptic search for the package by name, find it and remove it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great! And now I just have to increase my FAT partition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast