Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help with a Galaxy 9500 GT Problem!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Please help with a Galaxy 9500 GT Problem!

Hello,

I just purchased a Galaxy 9500GT with 1GB of RAM, and I'm having install troubles.

I've tried all the solutions I could find, some ending with no X Server, and me having to go into recovery mode. Some ending with the correct resolution: 1280x1024, but no acceleration, and no OpenGL, so no games, and no compiz-fusion.

Quick rundown of all solutions I've tried:
    Install normal with login, Ctrl+Alt+F1 FAIL No X
    Install then use (fix?)x in recovery 1280x1024 X, but no acceleration

When I use sudo lspci | grep VGA

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0640 (rev a1)

And I'd really like a solution fast, or I'll have to use Windows (Never) or return the card (I really don't want to.)

I haven't used WinBl0ws in almost 1 month now, but this is making me think about going back. If it doesn't work, then I probably will.

Thank You,
    IceRayn

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Please help with a Galaxy 9500 GT Problem!

i will say this, ubuntu 8.04 has trouble detecting 9xxx series nvidia cards for whatever reason.

your best solution is ubuntu 8.10 intrepid.

i guessed that you are using 8.04 because i have seen this before and experienced it myself.

you don't need to reinstall' you can upgrade to 8.10

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-upg...top-and-server

once the upgrade is complete do the system updates before activating or installing drivers !

once done reboot, at this point you should be able to activate the hardware drivers.
    Last edited by inobe; April 25th, 2009 at 04:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by IceRayn View Post
    Hello,

I just purchased a Galaxy 9500GT with 1GB of RAM, and I'm having install troubles.

I've tried all the solutions I could find, some ending with no X Server, and me having to go into recovery mode. Some ending with the correct resolution: 1280x1024, but no acceleration, and no OpenGL, so no games, and no compiz-fusion.

Quick rundown of all solutions I've tried:
    Install normal with login, Ctrl+Alt+F1 FAIL No X
    Install then use (fix?)x in recovery 1280x1024 X, but no acceleration

When I use sudo lspci | grep VGA

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0640 (rev a1)

And I'd really like a solution fast, or I'll have to use Windows (Never) or return the card (I really don't want to.)

I haven't used WinBl0ws in almost 1 month now, but this is making me think about going back. If it doesn't work, then I probably will.

Thank You,
    IceRayn
    Hi did you remove the drivers for the previous graphics card?
    Which nvidia drivers have you tried to manually install?

Beans
    Distro

hi overdrank

notice his grep vga output, his card isn't detected.

i helped out a young lady last month, her output was the same, she was running 8.04, i had her upgrade to 8.10 and her card was detected and was notified for restricted drivers.

i assume IceRayn couldn't get onboard video to work and purchased the video card.

i hope i assumed correctly

Beans
    Distro

Right about everything but the upgrade reason. Onboard worked fine! GeForce 680i(ntegrated) worked fine, but had bad framerates, approx. 30 in Halo under Wine, faster than a native code Windows install for some reason though. (THIS IS WHY I HATE WINDOWS! One of the many reasons. 10 minute boot time vs. 57 second in Ubuntu, no compiz, not as much open source software... The list goes on!)

I'm upgrading to 8.10 now. My ISP (Qwest) is so slow, it's taken more than 24 hours to get to half of Installing the upgrades.

Thank You, I'll tell you how it goes.
    IceRayn
    Last edited by IceRayn; April 25th, 2009 at 03:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I updated, and activated the driver to find that I was kicked back to Ubuntu Low Graphics mode, with distorted red lines on the top, and a doubled screen. After booting to recovery mode, I got back into X, but no acceleration, and because of the basic config file, I have no effects of any sort, including if I try to run glxgears the response is:

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Urban Terror just never launches, and the Wine version of UT.exe shows no OpenGL.

This is turning out to be more of a pain than it should...

Thank you for your help,
    IceRayn

Hope a solution is found soon.

(I should add that I've tried 180 and 173. Not 177, but I read that that had more problems.)

Beans
    Distro

show me grep vga and do lspci by itself.

i would like to verify all hardware.

some things we should look out for, make sure you are plugged into the actual video card and not onboard.

also if there is an option in the bios to disable onboard video please do so.

edit: may may also want to consider adding this repo to get the very latest nvidia driver.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...29&postcount=2
    Last edited by inobe; April 25th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I'm very sure that it is plugged into the card, booted into Vista for the first time in a month, and got 300FPS in the original Halo!

I'll try booting back into 8.10 and seeing if the extra repo works.

There is no option to disable, but there is an option to select my preferred video device: PCI, Integrated or PCIE.

Seeing as my card is PCI-E, I selected PCIE, and that causes it to show up, but the driver always causes a crash of X.

Trying that new repo now,
    IceRayn

Beans
    Distro

yes add the repo and as described, you should then be prompted by update manager of the new driver, if not open terminal and run

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    if your not getting any notifications to update open synaptic once more and search nvidia give me a list of what's install on your next post.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I installed the driver with no adverse affects, but I still get an error when using games, and Desktop effects will not enable.

I'm attempting to add a busid to xorg.conf, restarting X now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the full output of lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a2)
    00:01.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:01.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:01.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:01.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:01.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:02.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce 630i memory controller (rev a1)
    00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
    00:03.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP73 SMBus (rev a1)
    00:03.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:03.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Memory Controller (rev a1)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100/nForce 630i (rev a1)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP73 [nForce 630i] USB 2.0 Controller (EHCI) (rev a1)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP73 IDE (rev a1)
    00:09.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
    00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP73 PCI Express bridge (rev a1)
    00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation Device 07f0 (rev a2)
    00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP73 Ethernet (rev a2)
    01:06.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
    01:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev c0)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9500 GT (rev a1

Thank You,
    IceRayn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast