Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PUTTY Access Denied

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

PUTTY Access Denied

I have three machines, two were running Debian Sarge and one Windows 98SE. I could use ssh between the Debian machines and could use PUTTY on Windows to access the other machines.

I have switched one of the Debian machines to Ubuntu. I can still ssh from the Debian machine to Ubuntu but I cannot use PUTTY to access from Windows - I just get "Access Denied". I have not been able to find anything in logs in /var/log on the Ubuntu machine and cannot find any reference to this problem anywhere on the Ubuntu site or via Google.

Can anyone suggest where else I should look.

Regards

Tony Middleton.

Beans

Re: PUTTY Access Denied

I had this same problem. My XP machine at work running PuTTY could not connect to my server at home. I modified the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file on the server and changed the 'PasswordAuthentication' variable from 'no' to 'yes'. I then ran '/etc/init.d/ssh restart' to restart the sshd server and I could then connect using PuTTY. I found a good explanation for the various authentication mechanisms on the debian forums here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-secur.../msg00343.html

Hope this helps,

Thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks - this solved my problem.

andrei19787528 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    I have three machines, two were running Debian Sarge and one Windows 98SE. I could use ssh between the Debian machines and could use PUTTY on Windows to access the other machines.

I have switched one of the Debian machines to Ubuntu. I can still ssh from the Debian machine to Ubuntu but I cannot use PUTTY to access from Windows - I just get "Access Denied". I have not been able to find anything in logs in /var/log on the Ubuntu machine and cannot find any reference to this problem anywhere on the Ubuntu site or via Google.

Can anyone suggest where else I should look.

Regards

Tony Middleton.
    snip
    Last edited by Elfy; August 31st, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superTP View Post
    I had this same problem. My XP machine at work running PuTTY could not connect to my server at home. I modified the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file on the server and changed the 'PasswordAuthentication' variable from 'no' to 'yes'. I then ran '/etc/init.d/ssh restart' to restart the sshd server and I could then connect using PuTTY. I found a good explanation for the various authentication mechanisms on the debian forums here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-secur.../msg00343.html

Hope this helps,

Thomas
    I'm getting the access denied message too. I did not have a sshd_config file, so i created one in the root of my user account. 'passwordauthentication' is set to yes.
    however, how and where do you run '/etc/init.d/ssh restart'. i don't know where to run commands.

thanks

Beans

Just put it into the console (that black window with the white text "bash"). You need root privileges.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: PUTTY Access Denied

you need to open up a terminal, and type this into it
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
    it will then ask you for a password.

Ok, apart from that I am having the same problem. I changed the
    Code:
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    file to allow PasswordAuthentication, restarted ssh but that didn't help.

I can log into the server with putty when I am using the LAN IP address, and that works just fine. But when I use the WAN IP adress, it asks me for the user name, which I provide, and the password, which I also provide, and I am 100% sure both are correct (since they obviously worked through the local access). Furthermore I have tried it at least 15 times, this way eliminating typos, keyboard layout issues and what have you.

Anybody have an Idea?

Beans

Take a look at the /var/log/ (maybe messages or sshd.log)
    Take a look at the /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would suggest rocket123 start this thread all over again in Networking & Wireless, as you will get better and faster answers to your question there, than you will stuck away on this sub forum.

Beans

I had this issue and was able to fix it by NOT using the -p option in useradd and usermod to set/change the password.

-p, --password PASSWORD use encrypted password for the new password

Instead I created the account then ran sudo passwd <username>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast