Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu DVD images for Main/Universe/Multiverse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb Ubuntu DVD images for Main/Universe/Multiverse

The solution for people that don't have broadband at home but do have a dvd drive and can find someone to burn these dvd's for them:

http://cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en

This site has instructions for building dvd's yourself, but also has torrents for the complete breezy main, universe and multiverse repositories on dvd (3 dvd's total, links are at the bottom of the page).

It is also possible to do this with cd's, but you will need a lot of cd's!

Re: Ubuntu DVD images for Main/Universe/Multiverse

Sweet--this is exactly what I need...

Beans

Someone could make a nice chunk of money if they would sell these for a moderate price for dial up users to buy.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

So I've got the DVD images downloaded, but how do I use them? Sure it tells how to do a backup, but how do I restore these? Can somebody please help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu DVD images for Main/Universe/Multiverse

Open synaptic, go to edit -> add cd and it will be added as a source.

Beans

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Beans

I make another big mistake and screwed my system. Happens a lot to me, but that's because I like being able to mess with it. These torrents are awesome, but highlit one major stumbling block for me: I have a crappy DSL plan. I only get 20GB a month downloads, then the connection gets shaped back to 64K.
    Normally, this isn't so bad - I don't download entire anime series like some people, I do my best to circumvent stuff like Youtube so I don't have to re-download a video every time I want to watch it. Still, 3 DVDs (plus the Automatix CD) are a bit much for me. I share my connection with my household, so that 20GB can go pretty quickly.

The point I'm getting at is, it'd be great if someone was able to set up a system similar to the Shipit process for these discs. Even if we have to pay for the shipping, it'd be good to have something like that in place, wether it be an official Ubuntu project or just a community-based movement.

Anyone willing to give this a try?

Beans

Well, I've checked with Australia Post, and they say it'll cost AU$6.40 + Postage Cost to deliver discs C.O.D. within Australia.
    Cd Postage Pack: AU$1.30 +
    Regular Parcel Delivery Cost: AU$3.70 +
    C.O.D. Charge: AU$6.40 =
    AU$11.40

I'm willing to pay to get the three repo DVD's plus the Automatix CD sent over to me. NOT C.O.D from overseas, that'd send me bankrupt. I'll reimburse whoever sends me the 4 discs the cost of delivery and discs via PayPal (the only international payment method available to me), and from there send off copies to other Australians C.O.D. whenever they request it through the boards (directly by Personal Message, or filtered through an Admin).

Anyone willing to help out?

Revisited

I've been using this method for several months now--let me say that it is awesome to be able to run a full Breezy install at home and not have to bang my head up against the wall waiting on updates... One of these days I'll fork out the 500 bucks to get Satellite installed (I live in the boonies)--but until then I'll keep chugging along!

Beans

A simple solution for people with access to Freedom Toasters (South Africa) is to burn the Debian CD's / DVD and use them as the repositories, they may not have as new versions of the programs as the ubuntu releases, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian, it is a nice easy way to get gazillions of programs, that can be added though synaptic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast