Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To all those with zero-reply threads...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To all those with zero-reply threads...

Every now and then, I scour the forums to see what the zero-reply threads are that are out there--there are many. The sad thing is that many of those will remain zero-reply threads. This is an open "letter" to those who have threads that will always be zero-reply threads:

Dear Frustrated User,

Please don't feel ignored. Someone was probably looking. She may not have actually looked at your thread, but she may have looked at the title. Someone cared or wanted to care. Your thread wasn't ignored--it just wasn't answered.

People here are very supportive and helpful when they can be. I'll tell you that 99% of the time when threads remain unanswered it's because no one knows the answer. Either your problem is too obscure, your hardware is too obscure, or the program you're having problems with is too obscure.

In rare cases, it may be a problem everyone has but doesn't know how to solve. When that occurs, someone (maybe it should be you) usually files a bug report at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bugs.

You have a few options if your posts remain unanswered:

1. Search for the answer yourself. The Ubuntu forums are quite comprehensive in terms of what they cover, but sometimes a Google search would better serve you. I've found Googling the exact text of errors is a good way to find how to fix those errors.

2. Wait. I had a couple of unanswered threads that got me down for a little bit. Randomly, they got answered weeks later (I'm not kidding).

3. Give up. If it's a non-essential program, maybe just don't deal with that program for now. If your entire installation doesn't work, maybe Ubuntu isn't for your hardware.

4. Rephrase your post. Sometimes if you give too little information or too much information (especially with no paragraph breaks), people just don't want to spend the extra time to understand what you're saying. Meet people half-way, and they'll more than likely meet you half-way and go beyond that half-way mark.

5. Bump your thread every twenty-four hours or so (not more than three or four times, though). Sometimes threads just get lost in the shuffle and need to appear at the top of the new threads search again.

Please don't feel ignored, though. If I thought it would, in any way, be productive to answer zero-reply threads and just say, "Hey, I can't answer your question, but I care about your problem," I would, but I think that'd just give people false hope when they see that someone's replied ("maybe that one response could be the answer to my problem...").

Also, remember that everyone (including forum staff) is a volunteer here. No one's obligated to help you. People will try to help as best they can, but please don't feel entitled to receive help. If you get it, great, and you probably will get some help, but if you don't get it, sorry--we're not Ubuntu gods here (I've seen some Ubuntu angels, though).

--aysiu

P.S. I'm not speaking on behalf of the forum administration. I'm speaking for me.
    Last edited by aysiu; September 27th, 2007 at 11:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: To all those with zero-reply threads...

I actually do that (look for posts with no replies) sometimes too but my knowledge is extremely limited. But the stuff I do know I can help out. Sometimes the posts go by too fast because the forums are very active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well said, ayisu. The only thing you didn't mention is the case where a question doesn't get answered because it is phrased so poorly that no one can figure out what is being asked. It's kind of like #4 in your list, but less common and not exactly the same.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    Well said, ayisu. The only thing you didn't mention is the case where a question doesn't get answered because it is phrased so poorly that no one can figure out what is being asked. It's kind of like #4 in your list, but less common and not exactly the same.
    Thanks for mentioning it. Usually for those, I at least reply and ask those folks to rephrase the question more clearly. Not all forum members are native English speakers, so I try to be sensitive to that, but I do encourage folks to rephrase things if I think it's a problem I can solve.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Was anybody else disappointed that this thread garnered responses? Don't you people have a sense of irony?

manicka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pathogenix
    Was anybody else disappointed that this thread garnered responses?
    No, it proves aysiu's point that community is active and alert to all posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Pathogenix
    Was anybody else disappointed that this thread garnered responses? Don't you people have a sense of irony?
    I love irony...ayisu's post didn't fit within the appropriate categories to warrant being unanswered.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Amen to this Aysiu..Ooops you did it Again!! Should we post (sticky) something like this in the beginners forum so as to let every poster (new and old alike) will not feel frustrated with their unanswered posts.

K
    "When I'm right no one remembers....When I'm wrong no one forgets.."
    Registered Linux User#396300 Get Counted
    Use The Guide
    After The Guide read the Ubuntu Docs
    Basic Linux Commands - Check

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have to say these are the best ever forums I've visited! So much so there is not one single problem I have with my ubuntu install at the moment, and that's just not because ubuntu is, well seems, to be almost problem free but because there are so many people out there willing to help

Beans

Awesome post. Threads that I can't answer **** me off.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast