Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Java ports

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Java ports

Ubuntu Backports will fail on:
    iii) if the project ever decides to backport kaffe, gcj and the GNU Classpath.

I personally cannot agree with:
    vi) because I cannot indemnify SUN (I don't think Ubuntu Backports will do that as well).

Even so, I can't help but wonder how Slackware and Blackdown deal with these licence requirements.

Anyone with law practice background cares to share his opinion on this?

PS: if I could go ahead with this, I think I'd manage to have java packages in no time.

Beans

In response to iii.
    When these solutions are at a comparable level you could remove sun's jdk/jre and begin using them.

In reality when would you need to indemnify SUN?

And I'm pretty sure Slackware doesn't distribute Blackdown if thats what your referring to by dealing with these licence requirements.

(Sorry if i sound a bit harsh right now)
    What boots up must come down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Oh no, I mean, Blackdown AFAIK also distributes SUN's JVM. These are the only two products I'm aware of, that distribute SUN's JVM.

I suppose I can state that SUN's JVM is needed to run the Eclipse IDE. I wonder if that would stick.

[UPDATE] I went through Blackdown's FAQ and I reckon it's possible to distribute a custom package of SUN's binaries. This looks like good news I'm going to try and put out a package in the next few days, although it'll be a temporary repository until it's possible to put the package in the backports repository.
    Last edited by cpinto; December 23rd, 2004 at 12:12 AM.

Beans

Would it be possible to do some sort of virtual package so users could select there own jdk/jre?
    What boots up must come down

3dlex8026 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    Would it be possible to do some sort of virtual package so users could select there own jdk/jre?

Girls chemistry Google Equity Line Credit blood pressure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12