Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's GNOME is the best, but...

Beans

Ubuntu's GNOME is the best, but...

Kubuntu's KDE is the worst! There are so many rewiews about the perfect GNOME integration in Ubuntu. Maybe that's the way it is. And really, when I am trying the LiveCD, it works smooth and fast.
    Well, for me personally, GNOME is not the functionality I need...
    So I installed Kubuntu 5.10.
    Terrible!
    I can't use the "Administrator Mode" in "Settings". Well, there is a fix for it now, but I won't call it a fix. Now I can use "Administrator Mode" in "Settings", but the windows itself is too big and the button is hiding somewhere deep down
    And I use a standard 1024x768 resolution...
    When I open my "System Settings" the window is not maximized and if I try to maximize it, the window itself becomes maximized, but not the contents of it. They stay in the same way they were before maximizing. They are just the same with some blank fields arround them.
    And the icons in Konqueror... Wow, what a mess!
    They are not aligned Never! No matter if I delete a file, hit F5 /Refresh/... They just can't be aligned.
    This KDE is full of bugs! I have no idea how you can even release it
    And if some of the Kubuntu devs read this forum... You should work on it and release a new version as soon as possible.
    I know that there is a six month development cyrcle, but hey, folks! This is a joke!
    You really made me never think of this distro again! You should know that there isn't a major distro with so bad KDE... Not even one, compared with that mess!

Back to good, old Slackware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu's GNOME is the best, but...

Now I don't like KDE, but this level of flame is uncalled for. You could help out and file bugs in Launchpad if it bugs you that much
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans

think your missing something 'it's free' fill out a bug report and in due course they will be fixed. while kde is free you may like to look back at xp a paid os which was dire before sp1 and depending on your views it still is.
    If kde doesn't work for you there are different desktops and distro's I'm sure you will find 1 that's too your liking

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I hate to agree with a flame post but I tried out Kubuntu 5.10 to see if I would prefer it over Gnome when I upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary and experienced many of the same problems and went running back to Gnome in a hurry. I was severely disappointed in its performance compared to the goodness I was used to.

Having no experience other than my first hour of pain, I ran away rather than attempt to identify bugs which would certainly be more helpful to the dev team. I hope that some hard-core KDE people are working on finding and squashing some of the bugs in this release to fix the problem for Dapper.
    S29K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Like teaker1s said, you don't HAVE to use KDE. There is GNOME, XFCE, Enlightenment, FVWM, IceWM, Blackbox, Fluxbox....
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kyral
    Like teaker1s said, you don't HAVE to use KDE. There is GNOME, XFCE, Enlightenment, FVWM, IceWM, Blackbox, Fluxbox....
    1. These bugs are already reported. But reported only No good enough fixes. Yet...
    2. It is not a "flame post". These are the facts As I said, look at the Kubuntu's forums... There are a lots of topics about these Breezy's bugs. Meet those facts and stop acting like I said something bad and I have to say "Sorry"...
    3. I love the whole Linux idea, I am using Slackware, so don't tell me to use XP
    4. The whole Kubuntu/Ubuntu idea is nice, but it doesn't mean you should be blind when someone here is just telling you the facts
    5. I prefer KDE, just because I like the functionality. So I prefer to go back to Slackware, but not to change the desktop. Because of these bugs.

So I hope I was clear enough.
    And once again: I love the idea, so I am not here just to argue. I am just sharing my thoughts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Kyral
    One of the things I like most about Linux is the flexibility.

I have been playing with xfce. I like its simplicity. However, it seems to be a little TOO simple. For example, I have not yet been able to play CDs or use my flash drives with it.

I am curious to hear about experiences with the other desktops. Most of my experience has been with Macs and command line interfaces.

I continue to play with xfce, but most of the time I need gnome in order to get things accomplished. It works quite well for that.

Bob
    Intel i7-920; Nvidia GT 220, 1GB; MSI X58 Pro-E; 6GB DDR; 64-bit mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

2. It is not a "flame post". These are the facts
    Kubuntu's KDE is the worst!
    Its your opinion, not a fact.

I find kubuntu's KDE to be great, but obviously you dont, so you dont have to use it. Even though I find kubuntu's KDE to be great I still use blackbox, which I find to be even greater. (And simple, and fast).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I guess it's a good thing that Mark wants more focus on Kubuntu then, huh?

I don't know of a single distro that has equally good KDE and Gnome installations.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    Its your opinion, not a fact.

I find kubuntu's KDE to be great, but obviously you dont, so you dont have to use it. Even though I find kubuntu's KDE to be great I still use blackbox, which I find to be even greater. (And simple, and fast).
    Well you're right about this one This is really my opinion.
    But Kubuntu's KDE is great... What is great? Which one of those bugs?
    The whole idea was... It is not good enough even for beta testers.

Something that I can't say about Ubuntu's GNOME. So when a community /and the developers in personal/ doesn't have the time and the power to provide a stable KDE distro, it should continue to work over Ubuntu/GNOME only... But to provide so smooth and bug-free product like Ubuntu/GNOME and at the same time some mess like this Kubuntu/KDE... It is not good for the strategy and the good future... You can see by yourself - Ubuntu is No1 on Distrowatch
    Kubuntu is 10 places down... So, /again my opinion, not a fact / Kubuntu's KDE is exactly 10 times worse than Ubuntu's GNOME...
    And about the facts - all they are in the Kubuntu's forum. Check "Bugs And Fixes" section...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast