As an undergraduate student lucky enough to have been taught FORTRAN for scientific computing, I find a necessity to have not only gfortran but also Intel Fortran on my Linux boxes.

Intel Fortran has both a commercial version, and a non-commercial version, perfect for my studies.

The following was tested on a fresh install of the release version of Ubuntu Breezy, with all security updates as of 2005-11-11 applied.

1. First things first, install the prerequisite software packages:
Code:
sudo apt-get install rpm build-essential
2. Register at Intel's site for a non-commercial version of the Intel Fortran compiler.

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...lin/219857.htm

Intel's site will send you an email that starts with the following:
Code:
Thank you for registering the Intel(R) Fortran Compiler for Linux*.

SAVE THIS SERIAL NUMBER
Your serial number for this registration is...
2. Download the compiler archive:

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...ers/219717.htm

3. Extract the compiler archive
Code:
tar xvzf l_fc_p_9.0.021.tar.gz
4. Run the installer
Code:
cd l_fc_p_9.0.021
sudo ./install.sh
5. Choose Option 1 to install Intel Fortran; choose Option 1 to proceed with a serial number.

6. Type in the serial number (case-sensitive) given in the email. (XXXX-XXXXXXXX). Choose 1 for a default install.

7. Press Enter to read the license agreement. The spacebar speeds through this quickly. Type 'accept' to accept the license agreement.

8. Press Enter to accept the default install directory for the compiler. The installation of the compiler takes some time. Press Enter to continue.

9. Press Enter to accept the default install directory for the debugger. The debugger takes some time to finish. Press Enter to continue.

10. At this point, the installer seemed to stop. It can be exited with CTRL-C, and it does not seem to affect the install.

11. To make the binaries and shared libraries easily found, add the following lines to your .bashrc:
Code:
PATH="/opt/intel/fc/9.0/bin:$PATH"
export PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/intel/fc/9.0/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH