Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam

Beans

Steam

Does anyone know how i can install Steam on my linux box to i can play the game counterstrike, there is no download for linux except for the beta version, but ive heard there are ways around it! please help

Beans

Re: Steam

Just follow instructions here or here. Then install CS from within Steam as per usual.

I recommend getting the newest wine directly from the Wine HQ. Also, yes, it might freeze on updating itself as it says in the second link, but it will work eventually, just keep trying.

I also made a modified startup script based on the one in the second link, something like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/
    WINEDEBUG="-all" wine Steam.exe -applaunch 10 -heapsize 300000 &
    Works just fine actually, although I think the performance might be a bit lower than on Windows. Have no Win partition anymore so can't test it for sure, just seem to recall quite a bit higher numbers for fps and so on...

Also remember to get real drivers for your card, so you have real 3D acceleration.

Beans

thanks! but i went through that process and i have the source made and the binary in the synaptic package manager, but then it tells me

Installing from the WineHQ APT Repository with the console:

If your system doesn't use a graphical package manager like Synaptic, you will need to edit APT's configuration file by hand. You will need root access to do this and run the commands below. Switch to root by typing 'su'. If you are an Ubuntu user, you can instead precede each command with 'sudo'. Now, use your favorite text editor to open the file /etc/apt/sources.list or use the console editor by typing 'nano /etc/apt/sources.list' and then add the following lines to the end:

deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
    deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ source/

Then, you can run 'apt-get update' to update APT's package information. Finally, to install Wine, do 'apt-get install wine'.

If you want to make sure that apt-get will install the WineHQ wine package instead of the Debian wine package (which usually has the same version), then add something like the following entry to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: wine
    Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
    Pin-Priority: 1000

Or alternatively use a modified rule to adjust the installation relationship between WineHQ and Debian packages in a different way.

im not sure what any of that means, sorry man im a linux noobie

Beans

If you have added those URLs like it says, in Synaptic, all you need to do is search for the package "wine" in Synaptic and install (or upgrade) it. You can ignore the rest of the instructions, that is just another way to do it.

Beans

im having some trouble installing the wine CVS is there an easier way to install that? cuz my noobie-ness is kicking in, its complicated because of the changeing of the file name, or is there a step by step process somewhere thats easier?

Beans

No need to go with Wine CVS. Just follow the instructions here: http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

In short, add a new custom repository in Synaptic, with this line:
    Code:
    deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt breezy/
    You don't need the source version.

Then, in Synaptic, find and install the package wine. That should be all, after that you can proceed with installing Steam itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I installed Steam using the guides provided [LinuX gamers website], but I keep getting this error [Steam update gets to 26% and stops there, every time]:

Code:
    Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 32 "Sharing violation"
    Someone else on the forums had a similar problem, they fixed it by deleting Steam.exe and renaming the SteamNew.exe file [to Steam.exe] that was downloaded during the "update." I tried this as well, but it didn't work...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexmap
    I installed Steam using the guides provided [LinuX gamers website], but I keep getting this error [Steam update gets to 26% and stops there, every time]:

Code:
    Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 32 "Sharing violation"
    Someone else on the forums had a similar problem, they fixed it by deleting Steam.exe and renaming the SteamNew.exe file [to Steam.exe] that was downloaded during the "update." I tried this as well, but it didn't work...

do this:
    Code:
    killall -9 wine-preloader ; wineboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

That didn't work either...

Code:
    err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 36 bytes in thread 003b eip 00446fe7 esp 7d74bfdc stack 0x7d74b000-0x7d84c000

err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 0 bytes in thread 0037 eip 7bebd0d9 esp 7f9e1000 stack 0x7f9e0000-0x7fae0000
    That's the error that shows up in the terminal, then the "Win32 error 32" message comes out.

EDIT: Never mind, it sort of worked... but now something else isn't working; here's a screenshot of what appears in the terminal. [Thanks, by the way]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alexmap; December 11th, 2005 at 10:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexmap
    EDIT: Never mind, it sort of worked... but now something else isn't working; here's a screenshot of what appears in the terminal. [Thanks, by the way]
    Are you attempting to run steam off of some other hard disk with Windows on it?

That won't work anymore than running applications over a shared disk in Windows. You need to install applications fresh into Wine's virtual windows drive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast