Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steam

Beans

Re: Steam

Why cant those Linux nazi's get there **** into gear and make a Linux versionf FFS!

It would make it easier for us and they would have a few more people using their **** that they call software.

(I'm talking about steam not anyone who works on a linux or unix or freebsd of any kind)

I got the tahoma.ttf file. Where is my wine directory? i dont know how to navigate to it.
    Last edited by Dark Damo; January 15th, 2006 at 01:11 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Damo
    Why cant those Linux nazi's get there **** into gear and make a Linux versionf FFS!

It would make it easier for us and they would have a few more people using their **** that they call software.

(I'm talking about steam not anyone who works on a linux or unix or freebsd of any kind)

I got the tahoma.ttf file. Where is my wine directory? i dont know how to navigate to it.
    It's a hidden directory in your $HOME directory. Press ctrl + H when you open up nautilus to show hidden files/folders and look for the .wine directory.

Beans

Thank you i will try that now

It works thank you very much!

Steam gives me this error

Last edited by Dark Damo; January 15th, 2006 at 02:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

The base rule of getting things to work is. If something is missing, find it and put in .wine/ in it's corrisponding "Windows" folder.

In this case:

1) Download the DLL. http://www.google.com or other way.
    2) Write this in a terminal:
    Code:
    cp /path/to/the_files_name ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system
    ~ is always the path to your $HOME directory.

You will find alot of good information in my signature.
    Last edited by Mr_Grieves; January 15th, 2006 at 03:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard
    I haven't tried STEAM lately, but it was doing this lock up thing for me on Cedega as well. I can only imagine its harder for someone using just wine to fix it. On the Transgaming forums they were talking about it being a problem with a recent update of STEAM that broke third party projects like Cedega. Some people get the problem and others don't. I had it for a while, then it went away. I would suggest trying at another time, as it might be something to do with some announcement that STEAM is trying to load up at login (thats my untested theory anyway),
    Steam and Counter-Strike 1.6/HL2 and Wine has been working flawlessly for me since Valves update between the 22th and 23rd of December.
    Troubleshooting is being done for Wine at: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4131

We're at the moment waitng for info from Valve. I opened up a troubleticket with them.

Beans

The dll is in the folder allready and it gives the error anyway. It didnt happen before i put the font in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

The dll is in the folder allready and it gives the error anyway. It didnt happen before i put the font in.
    That's because you came further in the loading of the game.
    I recommend you search on you're error message on the web and winehq maillists.

Beans

I managed to find this on the steam forums:
    http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I got steam to install using instructions from this site:
    http://www.stgraber.org/?p=6

The only problem I'm having is low fps 15-30 in DOD and the game occassionally locking up.
    I'm thinking it might have something to do with the audio settings in wine. Right now I can only get DOD to run using oss. I've tried using alsa, but DOD will only load as far as the splash screen and then freeze when the sound would ordinarily start.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ Dark Damo-it gives me this error too, but only when I dont launch it from a terminal-did you try that? I am having the same Fonts problem you did too, but I have Tahoma.ttf located in /.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts perhaps you have to put it somewhere else as well? I noticed in the wineHQ guide to steam they have that
    "3. Install tahoma.ttf from either a windows installation, or download from the net. Installation will vary with flavor of linux."
    does this mean it also has to be installed somewhere else on the system?

*EDIT* cofirmed from linuX-gamers.net -

"Steam requires the tahoma.ttf font. It is included in the Microsoft core fonts package. The package name depends on the distribution. Alternatively google for tahoma.ttf, download it and put it into your X Server fonts directory. (usually /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/truetype)" apparently the core fonts package in the repos doesnt have tahoma, unless it puts it in a different place than the other fonts...

*EDIT* I was using Dapper and for many reasons decided to go back to Breezy for now....font problem fixed automagically.....I kept my home directories so tahoma.ttf was in /.wine/windows/fonts - not sure why it refused to work under Dapper
    Last edited by Sandlst; March 1st, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234