Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: MythTV with Hauppauge PVR-150 on Breezy

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/
    The HOWTO is here: http://www.quietglow.com/docs/ubuntumythtv.html

Synopsis: This document describes the process of getting a very cheap ($80 at BestBuy in the US) capture card working well with MythTV and Breezy. If you do it right, this means a PVR for less than $200 or so and no monthly fees!

HOWTO on getting the remote to work will follow just as soon as I figure it out.

Feel free to email me questions, comments and corrections!

arnieboy Guest

Re: HOWTO: MythTV with Hauppauge PVR-150 on Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by quietglow

Synopsis: This document describes the process of getting a very cheap ($80 at BestBuy in the US) capture card working well with MythTV and Breezy. If you do it right, this means a PVR for less than $200 or so and no monthly fees!

HOWTO on getting the remote to work will follow just as soon as I figure it out.

good job on the howto! but an immediate comment regarding the sources.list file:
    thats for hoary (NOT breezy). please do make sure u change that.
    it also might be a good idea to port the howto to the forums.. I know its a lot of work.. but it will make it a lot more accessible..

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on the source list--I'd already modified mine so I never noticed!

I'm trying to find time to write it up as a forum Howto...will get to it eventually!
    FreeYourPod::iPod and OSS
    my ubuntu wiki page
    ::Why Linux? Because Linux is a gift.::

Beans

Been waiting for this one!!

One question though: mythTV is more for set-top and is therefore not resize friendly or anything. Does anyone know of a TV player that can use the IVTV drivers that is more suited for watching TV in a resiable window on the desktop (so I can do other things while watching). So basically I'm looking for something with a regular media player GUI that can I can use my pvr-150 with.

thanks a lot,
    Tim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyJ
    Been waiting for this one!!

One question though: mythTV is more for set-top and is therefore not resize friendly or anything. Does anyone know of a TV player that can use the IVTV drivers that is more suited for watching TV in a resiable window on the desktop (so I can do other things while watching). So basically I'm looking for something with a regular media player GUI that can I can use my pvr-150 with.

thanks a lot,
    Tim
    Well, if you want to just watch some tv (and not necessarily watch recorded stuff), tvtime is a good application for that. It's been a while since I've dug into my mythtv settings, but I thought there was somewhere in there a setting to have it run in a window, rather than full-screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Yup, I think tvtime is the app set up for doing that. I do remember seeing a setting somewhere that would allow you to run in a window. Truthfully, though, MythTV is sort of overkill for that.

I actually used to run composite audio and video out of my cable box, into a spare DV camera and out of the camera via fire wire into my box. I'd watch Tv in Kino, which deals with DV in. So the camera essentially served as a bridge from composite to firewire. Worked well!
    my ubuntu wiki page

Beans

Thanks for the input guys, I'll check out TV time (although a perfect solution would be able to record as well, but I suppose beggers can't be choosers). Just to clear up mythTV capabilities: I know you can run myth in a non-full screen mode, but that window is still not resizable if I recall correctly. If i'm wrong though don't hesitate to tell me, cuz that would be fantastic!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Oooo...the thread got moved into the Howto section so now I REALLY need to update that repository list!
    my ubuntu wiki page

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quietglow

Few Questions!!
    What are the specs of your box? What kind of hardware are you running. I'm looking to build a PVR and you said you had a 150.00 box + the card. I'm currious. I have a regular capture card an old TV wonder VE I use now for my desktop but I'd like to buy the PVR card and build a nice looking box that will run both front and back end for Myth.

I've installed all the packages in the guide (I had them installed prior to reading your guide). When I run mythbackend and then frontend everything runs nice, but when I select watch TV I get a black screen.

I tried your guide and when I tried to goto "localhost" in firefix I got nothing...
    I tried to restart apache2, that didn't seem to work. What should I look at next?

I also installed the plug-ins for news / web / weather. These all work except that when I run the browser I can't really use the keyboard. If you press M you get the Myth browser setup. Is there a way to disable that? If I run this at my TV I would love to use the brower for quick email checks and ebay
    Registered Linux user #393688
    I don't know much but I'll try to help

IXOYE

Beans

Just a quick note on the previous suggestion to use tvtime. Unfortunately tvtime has no MPEG2 decoding and is therefore incompatible with cards that use the ivtv drivers (like my Hauppauge PVR-150) Looks like i'm back to an unresizable myth (I'll live).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast