Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] World of Warcraft [OUTDATED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[HOWTO] World of Warcraft [OUTDATED]

I made a WoW under wine howto:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WorldofWarcraftHowto

This is the official discuss/support thread for it...

UPDATE: I've not updated the howto in a long time and I probably won't so it is probably OBSOLETE and not working. Sorry
    Last edited by SKLP; March 16th, 2006 at 06:02 PM.

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] World of Warcraft

I'm playing WoW with the same setup and it works super nice.

I'm Selmak on the EU Burning Legion.
    I love my ubuntu.

Beans

Cool, I can NOT get WoW to work under Cedega, and so far have not had any decent support.. basically Cedega insists on switching to software mode.

Anyway, I tried with Wine 0.9.1 and guess what.. 3D acceleration is fine, but! whenever I try to run in opengl mode it gives me the unable to start 3D acceleration dialog and quits, under DX it runs reasonably but with a LOT of missing textures, making it unplayable.

I am on a 2Ghz laptop with integrated i915 graphics... I suspect there is a problem allocating memory for the textures? Or is it normal in DX mode?

Also, I have 1Gig RAM, I would love to reserve 128 of that for the video card...

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    SET gxColorBits "24"
    SET gxDepthBits "24"
    Try changing those things to those specific values in WTF/Config.wtf

Tell me if that works; if so, i will add it to my howto

EDIT: This is to make OpenGL work

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Burkey
    I suspect there is a problem allocating memory for the textures? Or is it normal in DX mode?
    Wine's DirectX support is very limited so, yes, this is normal. (that's why we use OpenGL mode in the guide)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

It doesn't seem to have anything on the "mouse bug", and that's the only thing keeping me from WOWing on Ubuntu. -MC

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by themainecane
    It doesn't seem to have anything on the "mouse bug", and that's the only thing keeping me from WOWing on Ubuntu. -MC
    The "mouse bug" = can't click stuff bug, or?

in that case we have wine_wowfixes which fixes that pretty nicely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I was using cedega, and the mouse problems i had included not being able to target with the mouse (had to F1-F5 and Tab everything)

I was directed here: http://cedegawiki.sweetleafstudios.c...t#Mouse_Issues

Section 2.2 fixed me up. I don't know if this is cedega specific, or if it will work with wine as well, but hopefully some googler will find this useful

Beans

I just installed WoW again on my Breezy over the weekend. I did it somewhat differently than the howto here.

First, follow the instructions on http://www.winehq.com/site/download-deb for installing wine from souce code using the debian packages. Here they are paraphrased:

Add the following to your repositories (just stick it at the end of /etc/apt/sources.list or use synaptic to add it as a repository).

deb-src http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ source/

Next grab all the wine building dependencies:
    sudo apt-get build-dep wine

Now grab but don't compile the wine source. This will fail out a the compilation part because you didn't do it as root:

mkdir ~/winesrc
    cd ~/winesrc
    apt-get --build source wine

The wine source needs to be patched for WoW to work. There are two fixes that you should apply. WoW needs a bug workaround in glPolygonOffset to see targetting rings and it needs a memory mapping fix in order to select things with the mouse. They are the same fixes as listed in the wiki (although the patch may not apply correctly if the wine version gets updated).

Next compile up a wine package and install it:

sudo apt-get --build source wine
    dpk -i wine*.deb

I would expect this process to become easier as these workarounds are incorporated into the wine source code so that you just have to install wine from the repository as usual.

Installing WoW was also somewhat tricky. Stick the dll in your ~/.wine directory as directed under the Wiki. Then copy all of the CDs into some directory. A number of the files will be duplicated, you should end up with an autorun, Installation.exe, Installation.something, and 4 big data files. "wine Installation.exe" and wait a while. Then run wow several times (once for each of several patches). It's a rather lengthy process to get it all there and up to date.

Michael

Beans
    Distro

hmm, and I was just thinking about changing the wiki page to "debianize" the instructions. well, will do so when i have time

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast