Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: installation of E17 from CVS

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123
    I still got the same error:
    Code:
    APPS-COMPILATION AND INSTALLATION:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - entice ..................... previous installed
    - entrance ................... previous installed
    - elicit ..................... previous installed
    - e .......................... ERROR!

LAST LOGLINES FROM /tmp/easy_e17/install_logs/e.log:
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    configure.in:316: required file `src/modules/gadget_test/Makefile.in' not found
    Makefile.am:1: `intl' should not be in SUBDIRS when AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) i s used
    src/modules/Makefile.am:2: required directory src/modules/gadget_test does not e xist
    Running aclocal...
    Running autoheader...
    Running autoconf...
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    Makefile.am:1: `intl' should not be in SUBDIRS when AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) i s used
    src/modules/Makefile.am:14: required directory src/modules/gadget_test does not exist
    Running aclocal...
    Running autoheader...
    Running autoconf...
    Running libtoolize...
    Running automake...
    configure.in: installing `./install-sh'
    configure.in: installing `./mkinstalldirs'
    configure.in: installing `./missing'
    src/bin/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
    src/modules/Makefile.am:14: required directory src/modules/gadget_test does not exist

Don't know if it will help now, but I was getting this exact same error the other day. I fixed it by manually downloading the files contained in [cvs]/enlightenment/e17/apps/e/src/modules/gadget_test from here, renaming the file "Makefile.am" to "Makefile.in", inserting them in the appropriate place, and rerunning the script. Worked like a charm.
    The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
    Linux user #388032
    My Site; forum, blogs, wiki, news...

Beans

Thanks for this guide, I have been waiting for this. Let's see if it works now.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I first had the problem with an error on edje. I think this was due to something that was installed before. (I had used automatix, to download alot of stuff, and the shadoi method to install enlightenment, so there was probably something i did'nt remove).

Anyway, i did a reinstall of ubuntu, upgraded the kernel (still 386), and all the other stuff(all upgrades). And it worked. This is what i did:

Follow TimmyJ's instructions, untill after i downloaded the script,
    edited the script as described in wanderingstar's post, and continued following the instructions in TimmyJ' spost.

Until...
    Note: you must replace **user_name** with YOUR actual user name.
    Code:

sudo chown -R user:**user_name** ~/.ecore

This gave me some strange errors, but when i did it like this(i think):

sudo chown -R **user_name** ~/.ecore

said in another way:

sudo chown -R xxxxx ~/.ecore

it worked.
    I dont know what the difference is though. If anybody knows..... enlighten me Could be something about naming conventions in the "linux" comunity or something i guess.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ting
    Until...
    Note: you must replace **user_name** with YOUR actual user name.
    Code:

sudo chown -R user:**user_name** ~/.ecore

This gave me some strange errors, but when i did it like this(i think):

sudo chown -R **user_name** ~/.ecore

said in another way:

sudo chown -R xxxxx ~/.ecore

it worked.
    I dont know what the difference is though. If anybody knows..... enlighten me Could be something about naming conventions in the "linux" comunity or something i guess.
    it meant 'usermname:usergroup'. In Ubuntu a usergroup for a user is the same as the username (in SuSE as I remember usergroup is usually 'users'). For example, is a user name is 'ubuntuer', then this part of the HOWTO should look like:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R ubuntuer:ubuntuer ~/.ecore

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

thanks! I hope i did't mess anything up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by N8K99
    right now without gdm installed- when I call startx, the window manager that gets called is DR16. I'm needing a crash course in configuring to get DR17 to run. Also, how to I keep Nautilus from writing over the desktop? Do I have to remove it? I have run e17 before where I got rid of Nautilus and everything Gnome but that was when e17 came from Shadoi's repository and was contained within main directory for programs not in /opt. What do I need to do to get this sort of set up happening? Perhaps after all this work when I get everything happening straight out of Enlightenment, then I'll work out a Ubuntu theme for e17!

Try this -
    Code:
    gconftool-2 /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop -t bool -s false
    If you make a theme, post it! I used e17 almost exclusively under Debian - when I switched to Ubuntu, it was the first time I'd spent much time in Gnome. Between the Ubuntu tweaks and 2.12 it was very impressive, but this Howto reminded me it was time to return to e17. Now I need themes..

edit: Let me clarify, that solves the nautilus background problem. Other items, sorry - someone else can help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks for the howto, i successfully installed e17 with it.. even i was surprised
    still, i dunno when i'll switch to e17, as the fileselector is still broken in the cvs...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I have ubuntu on a low ram machine which is why I sought out Enlightenment in the first place, so I have yanked Nautilus and all things Gnome off the machine and now it runs quite nicely. I still am wondering how to configure so that Entrance works from the /opt. When I was running it from the repository builds, just installing Entrance and removing GDM set everything up nicely, but now I have to do something else.

I have an idea for a theme beginning to be sketched out. I am calling it Enlightened Ubuntu. I could show you the graphical sketch, but I'm gonna wait until I get into the actual technical process before I start letting it slide out.
    (\ /) Fujitsu U810 (\ /)
    (O.o) Touchscreen (O.o)
    (> <) UMPC (> <)

Beans

I believe an ubuntu E17 theme is already in development.

You can get a sneak preview shot here: http://www.get-e.org/Screenshots/Use...tu_theme_2.jpg

Beans

Sort of worked. I get segmentation faults when I try to use the configuration menu, and I can't remember how to install the thing that gives menu and background editing a gui.

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast