Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy smokes, I made a forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Holy smokes, I made a forum

Zensunni, you should send me all your old games. I'm opening a game museum next year and need more exhibits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree
    Careful, you'll have one of the moderators jumping in if you keep up the political discussion...
    The political discussion was already going before I posted. Also, I've yet to read any rule that forbids political discussion.
    Last edited by Malphas; December 2nd, 2005 at 06:44 PM.

Beans

well back on topic, good start on your forum. that is something i will bring live someday for my school, so i hope.

anyways gratz again and keep hacking away.
    ---Worlds worst speller---
    http://www.ssma.us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Its quite cool. I think a new text based forum type is needed (if thats what your goal is). Maybe it can be as popular as phpbb someday

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    Its quite cool. I think a new text based forum type is needed (if thats what your goal is). Maybe it can be as popular as phpbb someday
    Have you checked out PunBB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas
    Have you checked out PunBB?
    No, but thanks for the link. I am hoping to make a forum site myself sometime. (But paypal is stupid and wont work -.-)

Wow, it is small. The main page of the forums is 3.4 KB. Ive made text files 300 times bigger then that.

I think I might have just found forum software to use if I ever get my site running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

If you do stay the hell away from phpBB. It's absolute crap. Go with PunBB or SMF, or if you're prepared to pay, you may wish to use vBulletin (personally though, I think it's bloated and inferior).

Beans

Thanks for the feedback,

I don't think the cookie is working. If it was, you'd be able to switch to another theme (unless your browser is blocking them) ....I think the orange one is easiest on the eyes.

I realize the code is quite brutal and will need a lot of adjustments. That's the fun of programming. Keep in mind that I only spent a day on this. My end goal is to make a shell for people to expand upon (which would probably require a complete reconfiguration of coding).

Oh, and as for the whole communist thing... I would probably enjoy a discussion if I were face to face, but I've learned that all people seem to do on forums is stomp their opinions on others. It wouldn't be a discussion, just an endless arguement. So, please, no further posting on the matter.
    Last edited by Zensunni; December 2nd, 2005 at 10:51 PM.
    http://thehiddengrotto.com - old games and a couple dvd's 4 sale....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Malphas
    If you do stay the hell away from phpBB. It's absolute crap. Go with PunBB or SMF, or if you're prepared to pay, you may wish to use vBulletin (personally though, I think it's bloated and inferior).
    I really disagree with that.

phpBB is not crap... It may be more "basic" at first, but you can add addons/plugins/mods to it... check out http://www.integramod.com PHPBB + many many mods.... I used to be a member with 700 posts on that site. my username was esher2292 fyi..

majikstreet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

It's not the basicness I have a problem with, PunBB is even more basic (but it also has mods and plugins for pretty much everything). My problems with phpBB are that it only outputs HTML 4.01 Transitional (PunBB outputs XHTML 1.0 Strict); it's buggy - even more so when you start throwing mods into the mix; 3.0 should have been completed years ago now, by the time it finally gets here it's going to be ridiculously dated (almost all of the new features are pretty much the standard now, and have been for some time); some of the development team left, which is no doubt going to make things worse; and the remaining developers have been badmouthing the users/community on their blogs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast