Thread: Hello, coming from Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Hello, coming from Arch Linux

Hey all,

Time to introduce myself.

Not used to such big forums, I feel like a number (56 747 members). I haven't gotten to installing Kubuntu yet, but will get there. DVD ISO is just waiting to be burned and installed right now.

A little about me. Been using Linux for a little longer than I remember, maybe 5 or 6 years. Thought I was happy with Arch for the last two of those, but recently have been hoping to find something that is a little less work. my life is a bit busier than it used to be.

I've spent time as an ArchLinux developer (documentation) and forum moderator and smartass (somtimes even in that order!).

I know of a few other Arch converts using Ubuntu, and all have recommended it to me -- now I'm sure they will recommend me to you:

Cactus
    Skoal
    punkrockguy318
    farphel

At a technical level, I'd say I am an advanced Linux user, and more advanced programmer. I'm a Python nut now, but got my training in Java. I probably know Java better than anything else, but I really don't enjoy it much anymore. Python, on the other hand, I enjoy.

At the moment, my primary concerns with switching from Arch are control and customizability. I'm used to being able to understand and control everything in Arch, having lost faith in the 'everything just works' philosophy long ago. I'm also used to fully customizing my environments -- using odd window managers (pekwm), bashrc, inputrc, keybindings, etc.

Nice to meet you.

Dusty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Hello, coming from Arch Linux

Hey Dusty. Welcome aboard!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Welcome. I've never used arch, but have been most everywhere else really. Suse, Fedora, Slackware, Debian, Linspire for a minute, Mepis, and on. I think you'll enjoy Ubuntu, as it's been good to me to the point that I've actually stopped the roller coaster of installs I was on. Welcome to the board, I'm sure your knowledge will be a welcome addition to the board.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hey Buchuki!

In the middle of our life's way
    I found myself in a wood so dark
    That I couldn't tell where the straight path lay.
    --Inferno, canto 1:1

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

About time you posted.

To Robogould and eric.proctor, thanks for the warm welcome.
    Last edited by Buchuki; December 2nd, 2005 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Welcome Bucka-a-u-ki!

I am also a former Arch Linux user! I only used Arch for about 6 months in my final quest from Fedora to the ultimate Distro. That quest ended in Oct. 2004 when I first installed Ubuntu. The initial Warty release was not perfect, but Ubuntu is getting there on a fast track. Breezy is by far the best distro ever! Of course without the fine folks at Debian, Ubuntu would have never been born! Ubuntu is essential a polished Debian distro!

I also use Centos 4.x (RHL4 source compile, rpm based) on my file server and Zenwalk 1.2 (slackware) on my daughters old and slow Dell i3200 laptop.
    linxos.com hllug.org bubbasgeek.com
    100% Linux/BSD @Home: Ubuntu -hp6810,Desktop,Server,MythTV. hpdm4. M0n0WALL -fw/router.

Beans

You left Arch!!
    Sarah 31 is going to give you a real thumping!--HeHe-- lmellen

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Hey, lmellen, I remember you....

I might not be leaving arch, I can't get my network working under ubuntu.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=98322

I'm used to the quick replies we are famous for over at bbs.al.org.... but then, this issue appears to come up many many times before (I've handed out my share of 'a forum search will help you there' and less polite variants). The weird thing is it looks like this problem is supposed to be solved.....

Dusty