Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This man obviously hasn't seen Ubuntu

Beans

This man obviously hasn't seen Ubuntu

I came across this site:

http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/148.html

And I have to admit, it brought a smile to my face, about the bewildering choices that Linux offers to `less motivated users'.

However, the simplicity of Ubuntu takes care of these concerns, beautifully, I might add.

Proof?
    I got your proof, too!

I went to my buddie's house, to install Ubuntu on his rig. His ME was forked, but good. His rig was toasted. A paperweight. He wanted to buy another computer.

I said, let the robstr have a go, first. He agreed. He took a look and was amazed at his new computer. His only concern... could he do his AIM and his Yahoo chat stuff. (some kind of chatroom things that young people do... I don't know what's up with it, I don't do these things... he tries to meet women with this, I believe).

So, I investigate.
    In short order, he has his chat room thingys going. Not only does he have his AOL thing *AND* his Yahoo things going, but, they are INTEGRATED as one program in GAIM.

I use the well written howtos here on this site to install the multimedia stuff and the flash. He's got it all.

The dude is amazed. He tells his buddy,,, hey, robstr will do your computer into a linux machine...

I say... "Sure man, its a free OS that kicks butt!"

hehe... He thinks I'm a guru.

So, now he's chasing women in the chatrooms with greater efficiency, I guess...

I'm gonna dual-boot my Mom, too.
    I'm telling you all, this distro is the one that is going to be simple enough for everyone to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: This man obviously hasn't seen Ubuntu

All hail Ubuntu, the ease of XP, the security of Redhat, and the coolness of the fonz

Beans

We will take over soon.

I've already gotten many people over at the game developement communities ordering Ubuntu CDs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robstr12
    I came across this site:

And I have to admit, it brought a smile to my face, about the bewildering choices that Linux offers to `less motivated users'.

However, the simplicity of Ubuntu takes care of these concerns, beautifully, I might add.

Proof?
    I got your proof, too!

I went to my buddie's house, to install Ubuntu on his rig. His ME was forked, but good. His rig was toasted. A paperweight. He wanted to buy another computer.

I said, let the robstr have a go, first. He agreed. He took a look and was amazed at his new computer. His only concern... could he do his AIM and his Yahoo chat stuff. (some kind of chatroom things that young people do... I don't know what's up with it, I don't do these things... he tries to meet women with this, I believe).

So, I investigate.
    In short order, he has his chat room thingys going. Not only does he have his AOL thing *AND* his Yahoo things going, but, they are INTEGRATED as one program in GAIM.

I use the well written howtos here on this site to install the multimedia stuff and the flash. He's got it all.

The dude is amazed. He tells his buddy,,, hey, robstr will do your computer into a linux machine...

I say... "Sure man, its a free OS that kicks butt!"

hehe... He thinks I'm a guru.

So, now he's chasing women in the chatrooms with greater efficiency, I guess...

I'm gonna dual-boot my Mom, too.
    I'm telling you all, this distro is the one that is going to be simple enough for everyone to use.
    HEhe When UBuntu is better with Winodws networking/shared printers I will be happier though!

Beans

Windows=For gamers...

Linux= For everyone else...

There is always going to be people who will criticise Linux. If you have 7 programs and you only need one Heres an idea! ONLY USE ONE! If you have everything you need use the programs you are comfortable useing and if there are others either ignore them or delete them off your Linux equivilant of a start menue...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by robstr12
    I came across this site:

Hi. I'm the writer of said blog posting, and I am actually an Ubuntu user, and have been so since sometime in 2005.

Believe me when I say nothing makes me happier than when I can just install an OS for people and have them use it without instruction. Ubuntu has come a long way towards that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by virtuelvis
    Hi. I'm the writer of said blog posting, and I am actually an Ubuntu user, and have been so since sometime in 2005.

Believe me when I say nothing makes me happier than when I can just install an OS for people and have them use it without instruction. Ubuntu has come a long way towards that.
    I was a bit confused when I read your post after reading the article, then I saw it was posted somewhere in 2004.

If I may ask, what do you think about this through the looking glass of your ubuntu experience?
    Last edited by henriquemaia; May 18th, 2006 at 07:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by virtuelvis
    Hi. I'm the writer of said blog posting
    The blog (fairly old I guess?) talks about "too many applications for one job".

I see the point, but still....

I have to say this: when I first heard about Linux, I was paying to [oh crap, I forgot the name.. ??? -> googling for it] Norton for the first time in my life to keep antivirus up-to-date, and that got me angry.

so I googled "linux" (a word I heard a while ago from a pc magazine) and found Slackware, and a very nice howto to install it (included screenshots of each installation step). I told it to install defaults, and when kde launched and I checked the menu, I was amazed...

I tried everything in that menu (which computer has 4 internet explorers, 2 Excels, and 3 Words for gods sake!1!!) , with pure joy of having so many software, for free, without downloading or scanning anything. wow...

Well, I had to ditch slackware (at that time, it was too hard for me + winmodem issues => now experimenting with slackware again). but never forgot the richness of those menus.

it was #2 reason (#1 -> paying Norton) I decided to stick with Linux and figure out a way to learn how to use an OS from scratch.

well, just ranting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I have to agree, Linux is just soo much cleaner, efficient, and less bloated. the one thing (among many others) which is so much better than ******* is that there is no registry! I remember having a regristry just clogged with useless folders. Also, when you un-install something in ubuntu, you actually uninstall it and not leave broken links all over the place.

well my $0.02
    Can't get Frostwire Wire to work? Here is a how-to to get it up and running. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=165371

AMD64/PPC Fix (woot )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Linux desktop is making rapid progress. Criticisms from 2004 are mostly out-of-date two years down the road.

XP is pretty much the same way it was in 2001.

When I tried Linux in 2004, package management wasn't refined (or documentation for it wasn't plentiful enough), there was no good Linux distribution chooser quiz, Ubuntu wasn't around, and automounting of USB devices was not standard. I gave up.

A year later in 2005, all those problems were solved.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast