Thread: How do you keep up??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Question How do you keep up??

Hi everybody,

I am a system administrator/web developer for a relatively small company in the south of Thailand and a huge IT enthousiast. But being employed in a job where at least 60 working hours are inevitable I often find it hard to find enough time to keep on expanding my IT knowledge. After a hard day's work, it takes a lot of discipline to keep on learning. I never made it past the first few years in college/university; the most I knowledge I have, I got from learning by myself and just doing stuff.

Now, I was wondering how others combine working in a IT function (or any other function for that matter) and also find enough time to keep up with everything new and expand your knowledge. Just say farewell to a decent social life? Are you being motived and supported by the management to develop yourself and your skills? Are you using the boss' time for doing so?

Thanks!
    "The concern for man and his destiny must always be the chief interest of all technical effort. Never forget it between your diagrams and equations." -AE

HOWTO:basic ethernet troubleshooting
    Learn how to work the shell-Up to date repositories

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How do you keep up??

I find enough time during the day (on the boss' dime) to try to keep up. Granted I know I'm still behind, but I do my best. With the rate things are expanding anymore I don't know how ANYONE completely keeps up.

Social life? I usually get back online once I'm home for another 2-3 hours to work on projects, research, code, etc. This is after a full day at college, followed by school. I guess it just depends on what you're passionate about--what YOU make time for.

Beans

Social Life?
    I'm married with a 9 month old baby and live in a house that I own (constant repairs and stuff)...
    I gave up on social life a long time ago!
    Actually lately I have been completely obsessed with Linux, and such...
    I guess tired doesn't matter if you've got obsession working on your side, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I used to always keep up with the latest and greatest, with a new system every 8 months. After 3 upgrades, I came to the conclusion that it was pointless.

I since got out of the 'loop' and it's hard to get back in. Work 50+ hours doing IT stuff, I really don't feel like any more computer stuff with what little time I have at home.

Like was said before, on the company time, I will read reviews, news, etc. trying to see where things are going. Still don't have a lot of time to get to the exact details.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by kuyaedz
    ocial life? I usually get back online once I'm home for another 2-3 hours to work on projects, research, code, etc. This is after a full day at college, followed by school. I guess it just depends on what you're passionate about--what YOU make time for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wizard
    I guess tired doesn't matter if you've got obsession working on your side, right?
    Yeah, I don't mind giving up free time and spend that time working/learning. But people who aren't as passionate about something, just don't get that. When some of my colleages go out to dinner or whatever, I stay at home and read my copy of TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1 (great book by the way), the next day they kinda treat me like I am social disfunctional (maybe I am ). The obsession to learn everything there is to know about something is something people around me just don't get...
    "The concern for man and his destiny must always be the chief interest of all technical effort. Never forget it between your diagrams and equations." -AE

HOWTO:basic ethernet troubleshooting
    Learn how to work the shell-Up to date repositories