Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

HOWTO: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card

Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG HowTo for Ubuntu Warty Warthog 4.10 x86

1.Before we start, make sure you have the appropriate linux-headers installed for your kernel. If you are not sure which kernel you are currently using, open a console and type

uname -r

Kernel version number will appear. For example, if you have the kernel 2.6.8.1-3-386, you will
    need the package linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386

2.Later in this guide you will need components from the build-essential package. If it is not already installed, do so by typing

sudo apt-get install build-essential

in the console.

3.Next step is to download the ipw2200 drivers: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/#downloads. This guide will assume you are using version 1.0.0.

4.You will also need the latest version of the binary firmware. It can be downloaded here: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php. The HowTo will assume you are using version 2.2.

5.When you have finished downloading, write

sudo mv ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

to move the firmware to the correct folder, then

cd /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

to go there yourself. Now the file needs to get extracted.

tar zxf ipw2200-fw-2.2.tg

6.If you got to this step without any errors, the firmware has been set up correctly. Now you must move the driver to /usr/scr, so type

sudo mv ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz /usr/src

then

cd /usr/src/

and finally

tar zxf ipw2200-0.21.tgz

to extract it.

7.Enter the newly extracted folder by writing

cd /usr/src/ipw2200-1.0.0

The driver needs to get compiled. First check for any problems by using make. If it returned any errors, you have not installed the build-essential package and the appropriate linux-headers. If it on the other hand worked flawlessly, type

sudo make install

8.The driver has now been installed, but in order for it to work you can either restart your computer or type

sudo modprobe ieee80211

and

sudo modprobe ipw2200

in the console to load the modules right away.

9.To check whether your wireless functions, write

sudo iwconfig

Your wireless eth connection should now have a lot of information listed. Here is an example:

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"network name"
    Mode:Managed Channel:11 Access Point: 00:0F:B5:60:1F:E0
    Bit Rate=36Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=77/100 Signal level=-58 dBm Noise level=-84 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:3

10. If you are running Ubuntu on a laptop and it is still not working, go to the “Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card under Ubuntu Warty Warthog 4.10 x86” section. Otherwise enjoy your new wireless Internet connection!

Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card under Ubuntu Warty Warthog 4.10 x86

This guide was tested on a Zepto Znote 4200 and I can therefore not garatee it will work with all laptops. Use at your own risk!

1.If your network is still not working, your network card may need to be activated with additional software. Download the Acer Hotkey driver from this site: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~tauber/acerhk/. This guide will assume you have downloaded the acerhk-0.5.19.tgz version.

2.Open the console and type

sudo mv acerhk-0.5.19.tgz /usr/src/

to move the file and

cd /usr/src/

to go to the directory yourself. Extract the file by writing

sudo tar zxf acerhk-0.5.19.tgz

3.Go to the newly unpacked folder:

cd acerhk-0.5.19

Use make to test whether there will be any errors compiling it. If none came up, type

sudo make install

to start compiling.

4.Load the module by using these commands:

sudo modprobe acerhk usedritek=1 autowlan=1 force_series=290

followed by

echo 1 > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled

5.Enjoy your new wireless connection!
    Last edited by Spif; February 2nd, 2005 at 01:08 PM.

Beans

Re: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card

Quote Originally Posted by Spif
    Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG HowTo for Ubuntu Warty Warthog 4.10 x86

1.Before we start, make sure you have the appropriate linux-headers installed for your kernel. If you are not sure which kernel you are currently using, open a console and type

uname -r

Kernel version number will appear. For example, if you have the kernel 2.6.8.1-3-386, you will
    need the package linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386

2.Later in this guide you will need components from the build-essential package. If it is not already installed, do so by typing

sudo apt-get install build-essential

in the console.

3.Next step is to download the ipw2200 drivers: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/#downloads. This guide will assume you are using version 1.0.0.

4.You will also need the latest version of the binary firmware. It can be downloaded here: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php. The HowTo will assume you are using version 2.2.

5.When you have finished downloading, write

sudo mv ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

to move the firmware to the correct folder, then

cd /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/

to go there yourself. Now the file needs to get extracted.

tar zxf ipw2200-fw-2.2.tg

6.If you got to this step without any errors, the firmware has been set up correctly. Now you must move the driver to /usr/scr, so type

sudo mv ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz /usr/src

then

cd /usr/src/

and finally

tar zxf ipw2200-0.21.tgz

to extract it.

7.Enter the newly extracted folder by writing

cd /usr/src/ipw2200-1.0.0

The driver needs to get compiled. First check for any problems by using make. If it returned any errors, you have not installed the build-essential package and the appropriate linux-headers. If it on the other hand worked flawlessly, type

sudo make install

8.The driver has now been installed, but in order for it to work you can either restart your computer or type

sudo modprobe ieee80211

and

sudo modprobe ipw2200

in the console to load the modules right away.

9.To check whether your wireless functions, write

sudo iwconfig

Your wireless eth connection should now have a lot of information listed. Here is an example:

eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"network name"
    Mode:Managed Channel:11 Access Point: 00:0F:B5:60:1F:E0
    Bit Rate=36Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=77/100 Signal level=-58 dBm Noise level=-84 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:3

10. If you are running Ubuntu on a laptop and it is still not working, go to the “Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card under Ubuntu Warty Warthog 4.10 x86” section. Otherwise enjoy your new wireless Internet connection!

Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card under Ubuntu Warty Warthog 4.10 x86

This guide was tested on a Zepto Znote 4200 and I can therefore not garatee it will work with all laptops. Use at your own risk!

1.If your network is still not working, your network card may need to be activated with additional software. Download the Acer Hotkey driver from this site: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~tauber/acerhk/. This guide will assume you have downloaded the acerhk-0.5.19.tgz version.

2.Open the console and type

sudo mv acerhk-0.5.19.tgz /usr/src/

to move the file and

cd /usr/src/

to go to the directory yourself. Extract the file by writing

sudo tar zxf acerhk-0.5.19.tgz

3.Go to the newly unpacked folder:

cd acerhk-0.5.19

Use make to test whether there will be any errors compiling it. If none came up, type

sudo make install

to start compiling.

4.Load the module by using these commands:

sudo modprobe acerhk usedritek=1 autowlan=1 force_series=290

followed by

echo 1 > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled

5.Enjoy your new wireless connection!
    Spif, are you able to do scanning with that wireless card? My MA401 works but I have to know all the available connections and it will not just scan for them using iwlist eth1 scanning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card

When everything had been set up I could perform a succesful scanning.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network card

thank you for this guide. helped me greatly.

im a noob to linux and didnt realize why the driver wouldnt compile till i read your guide. then it worked

its also nice since it (the guide) seems geared towards the acer 290 series (which is what i have) (unless acerhk is universal for laptop's with hardswitches for wifi )

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network c

i followed all the instructions and recieved no errors but i am stil unable to access wifi

lsmod shows that ipw2200 (and also e100, module for my lan nic) are not loaded, loading them does not give any output and lsmod shows they are still unloaded

my laptop is Dell D505, the blue wifi indicator light is on (controllable by key combination)

during boot i recieve 3 error messages:

error inserting pciehp.ko and 2 others in (dont remember precisely)
    /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug
    operation not permitted

what should i do next?

thanks in advance

Ihv

EDIT: ISSUE SOLVED - passed acpi=noirq to kernel and got wifi working perfect, in addition sound card started to work
    Last edited by ihv; February 22nd, 2005 at 12:58 AM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network c

Quote Originally Posted by blackomegax
    its also nice since it (the guide) seems geared towards the acer 290 series (which is what i have) (unless acerhk is universal for laptop's with hardswitches for wifi )
    Acerhk works with configurations that resemble Acer's. The program worked flawlessly with my Zepto Znote 4200 (Scandinavian notebook company).

I'm glad you found my guide useful

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG / Activating Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG network c

Znote 4200 appears to be a compal CL56.

travelmate 290's with 9600's in them = CL56.
    ones with intel (mine) = CL51

so its no wonder it worked, as its the exact same switch interface (hell, the 51/56 share battery type and 99% form factor)

just random info

Beans

Can't get it to work.

Firstly, thanks for the detailed instructions it is a god send. However, I am still unable to get my wireless to work. When I go into the network configurations and activate it, it drops out.
    When I type sudo iwconfig i get the following

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 unassociated ESSID:"default"
    Mode:Managed Channel=0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    Bit Rate=0kb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:0102-0304-05 Security mode:restricted
    Power Managementff

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Any help will be appriciated.

Acaus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can't get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by acaus
    Firstly, thanks for the detailed instructions it is a god send. However, I am still unable to get my wireless to work. When I go into the network configurations and activate it, it drops out.
    When I type sudo iwconfig i get the following

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 unassociated ESSID:"default"
    Mode:Managed Channel=0 Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    Bit Rate=0kb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:0102-0304-05 Security mode:restricted
    Power Managementff

eth1 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Any help will be appriciated.

Acaus
    I need more details about your system. Are you running Warty or Hoary and what laptop do you have? Have you tried configuring your wireless conncection with the 'Networking' tool?

Did you install Acerhk? Are you aware that you have to run the 'sudo modprobe acerhk usedritek=1 autowlan=1 force_series=290' and 'echo 1 > /proc/driver/acerhk/wirelessled' everytime you start your computer to get the connection up and running?

Beans

The Intel 2200BG worked right out the box for me. I have a Thinkpad T30 but bought the wireless card separate so I had to do the 1802 bios hack to get the Thinkpad to recognize the wireless card. Once I rebooted the wireless was up. The thing is though the connection is recognized as eth0, there is no option in network preferences to enter a WEP key. I wouldnt want to anyway cause Ive read WEP is not all that safe but does anyone know if its possible to get the Intel 2200bg working with WPA under Ubuntu? Any info would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast