Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

Post Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

<p>Michael Dell, chairman and founder of Dell, mentioned Ubuntu in a number of contexts in a <a href="http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html">recent interview</a> on <a href="http://www.desktoplinux.com/">DesktopLinux.com</a>. Of great interest was his comment that, “Ubuntu is now the most popular desktop distribution on Dell PCs”. Rock and roll!</p>
    <blockquote><p>“If we say we like Ubuntu, then people will say we picked the wrong one. If we say we like and support Ubuntu, Novell, Red Hat, and Xandros, then someone would ask us, ‘Why don’t you support Mandriva? The challenge we have with picking one is that we think we’d disenchant the other distributions’ supporters.”</p></blockquote>
    <p>Dell offers an range of workstations and laptops called the nSeries which do not include Windows, opting instead for a very basic FreeDOS. These machines are intended for buyers who are keen to run Linux without paying for an operating system they won’t use.</p>
    <a href="http://fridge.ubuntu.com/weblink/goto/73" class="outgoing" title="visit http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html">visit Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux</a>

Link To Original Article

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Mr. Dell opens up about Desktop Linux

It could mean that we now get good quality drivers for the dell kit ?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

This is awesome! Way to go Dell!
    registered linux user # 401083
    Games i like: Maniadrive, Neverball, quake4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoeptegel
    This is awesome! Way to go Dell!
    I disagree. RTA -> he wants a linux distro monopoly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by towsonu2003
    in what way?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    in what way?
    Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    "We love Linux, and we're doing our best to support the Linux community. We see lots of opportunity there. If the Linux desktops could converge at their cores, such a common platform would make it easier to support. Or, if there was a leading or highly preferred version that a majority of users would want, we'd preload it."
    He wants big distros to merge and form one distro, so that Dell "can support" it. That's nonsense. All Dell needs to do is to provide the drivers for the hardware it provides, and the community will gladly put everything toghether...

Well, another alternative is: come up with your own distro... DelLinux. If they like Ubuntu so much but don't wanna deal with open-source drivers and stuff: fork Ubuntu, add Dell drivers to it, remove repositories and enable Dell-specific repositories, and voila. After that, all Dell needs to say is: "We support DelLinux including the software, only if the software comes from our repositories."

In the meantime, I'm having difficulties with this statement in TFA as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    "Microsoft has not talked to us about Linux. If they did, I wouldn't care. It's none of their business," concluded Dell.
    Last edited by towsonu2003; March 8th, 2006 at 05:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by towsonu2003
    Would that be such a bad thing? The only way that linux is going to get a large market foothold, and therefore be able to compete with Windows, is by having one distro that does it all. The amount of choices right now is overwhelming, and that scares off a good deal of would-be converts I would imagine. A centralized disto, like what Dell wants, is what linux needs.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a choice, but it's easy to see where Mr. Dell is coming from. Just my two cents...

Beans
    Hidden!

Dell could potentially make more money by selling support for linux than by selling microsoft licences. They can charge half of what they charge for windows to the buyer and pay a small staff of linux tech-support people to offer the support.

The greater the volume, the greater the profit for them.

Heh heh.

Beans

I think what the community needs to do is start bugging Dell about preloading Ubuntu on their machines. Mr. Dell says himself:

"...if there was a leading or highly preferred version that a majority of users would want, we'd preload it."

If enough Ubuntu users make their presense known then maybe Dell will think about putting it on their machines. Dell is already in communication about better driver support so I don't think this is all that far fetched.

I'm not sure where/who we would need to write to though. I can't find any customer feedback type of email address on the Dell website. They do have a Linux forum though, but it's meant for support not feedback. Dell Linux Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

All Dell has to do is say they are making sure thier box works with what ever distribution is most popular (example: based on distrowatch.) What's the big deal?

I agree with poster who said Dell simply needs to make sure drivers are available. they don't even have to provide them. Just stop with the crappy chipsets from companies aligned with Microsoft and all is well.

Provide a darn WiFi device that has know native Ubuntu support ans everything is automatic.

Dell does even really have to install software such as ubuntu but provide a CD or point to where one can get it free.

If you have known hardware minus Microsoft trick then put in the CD and your good. It's not like your going to have a hardware suprise, the model is approved.

Then all manner of free internet site would provide help with that specific combo of ubuntu and thet model hardware.

This model and idea should take like wild fire because.

1. It's a cool ides the marketing guy can push.

2, You save money. Mass production with branding and no software production costs.

3. Dell(or and major provider) is completely at their option as to whether they want to take other monies for personal support. It could be a sub-company for those people who beg for it. Meanwhile back in the real world, free online support for POPULAR distribution is excellent RIGHT NOW.

In summary. a popular/mass-market branded box that has OPEN devices/chipsets, already freely supported and then combined with the most popular open software system/distribution is a win for everyone!

There is no problem with Dell "choosing" a distribution because and besides the fact they don't have to install and support it, if they did, they are simply going with the popular USERS choice and this could even change with no problem.

Welcome to the future!

P.S. The problem is, Dell have been aligned with Microsoft no matter what He says and if h does this it WILL **** off Microsoft. Why does it have to be Dell then? Any major hardware provider is missing this opportunity. Just get out from under Microsoft!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast