Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does the TCPA mean for Linux?

Beans

What does the TCPA mean for Linux?

What does the TCPA mean for Linux? I'd think people would be nervous, and I'm confused on why nobody is worried at all.

The TCPA means Trusted Computing Platform Alliance. Some links on it are:

https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/home
    http://www.againsttcpa.com/index.shtml

The jist of it seems to be that processors wouldn't work with open source, and there is a lobbying force to make it illegal, carrying a 5 year jail sentence. I'm going to be embaressed if I've been had...

Beans

Re: What does the TCPA mean for Linux?

Recent Linux kernels provided support for the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) that is the key part of TCPA. The TPM can be disabled completely in the BIOS. The only direct danger to Free Software users (that I can see) is that ISPs might make it impossible to connect to the Internet unless you are running Trusted Software (which is unlikely to include Linux in all of its myriad forms) on Trusted Hardware (something which is effectively impossible to spoof), but there are a great many legal and technical hurdles to jump before this becomes a reality, and I doubt ISP's would be interested in pursuing this anyway as it would simply be of no use to them.

I don't want Trusted Computing to become prevalent (especially amongst home users, where the potential for abuse far, far outweighs any meagre benefits it would bring), but I think it's unlikely to cause any real damage. we'll have to wait and see, though, and keep a wary eye on things.
    Last edited by GeneralZod; April 2nd, 2006 at 10:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    The only direct danger to Free Software users (that I can see) is that ISPs might make it impossible to connect to the Internet unless you are running Trusted Software (which is unlikely to include Linux in all of its myriad forms)
    How could they stop Linux users from connecting to the internet since the majority of servers run on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Because if these linux servers are to become TCPA compatible, then, they will be using the list of permitted software which will not contain some linux distros.

I am against it in anyway. Its gonna give control of every single computer to large companies. But i find it rather hard for them to implement it.
    aka: orbital fox

Beans

I think the only bad implementation that will become common in democratic countries is that some online games will require players to use only approved programs to avoid cheating and some online media services do the same to avoid recording of media streams. Dictatorships on the other hand could use it to check so home computers use only the software the regime has approved for home use before giving internet access. TPM only keeps track of the programs that you have used since you turned on the computer so you can still have anything installed, you'll just have to reboot to reset the TPM chip before playing if you have used something that wasn't approved.

Linux software will probably be approved by services/games that has a Linux port. The big problem I see is that any change in a program no matter how small results in a completely different hash. I think that means that even if Firefox is approved by an online service you still can't use any other version of it then the one Mozilla provides. Unless the service goes through the endless hassle of approving every version that every distro provides and even then you still can't use something you modified and compiled yourself. Effectively turning all software into closed source for those who want use a service that requires TPM.
    Last edited by Kvark; April 2nd, 2006 at 03:35 PM.

Beans

Yes, TCPA is what I like to call "totally gay, dude" (no offense meant to actual homosexuals out there ). The scary part is that this particular model of lockdown has been planed in some form or another for YEARS. TCPA is just the latest version of it. People should read up on the history of this stuff. It's an interesting subject to say the least. Now where did I put my tinfoil hat...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted...tform_Alliance
    Edit: It really is a very short entry! We should do our part by adding potentially misleading content! (j/k)
    Last edited by Arktis; April 2nd, 2006 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There's a nice about TCPA movie (mov) on legaltorrents.com about this.
    Direct link:
    http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/tru...puting.torrent
    registered linux user # 401083
    Games i like: Maniadrive, Neverball, quake4

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Read this

Beans

For Linux, the kernel, it means just another technology to be supported, which can be used for all purposes ranging from private data security to proprietary lockdown. It already is supported.

For the world of Free Software it means a threat from the big boys to lock the uninformed and ignorant masses down to proprietary media, software and a paradigm of ownership where the user never absolutely owns anything.

For the whole world of computing it's a poor scheme that will probably end up failing totally except in a few narrow niches. If it goes so far as to try to shut open source out of the net (it's often argued that this is its hidden agenda) or undermine the GPL as Ross Anderson argues, it will get the answer it deserves mainly in the form of boycotts, which is the kind of language the big boys understand.
    Last edited by 23meg; July 5th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    For Linux, the kernel, it means just another technology to be supported, which can be used for all purposes ranging from private data security to proprietary lockdown.

For the world of Free Software it means a threat from the big boys to lock the uninformed and ignorant masses down to proprietary media, software and a paradigm of ownership where the user never absolutely owns anything.

For the whole world of computing it's a poor scheme that will probably end up failing totally except in a few narrow niches. If it goes so far as to try to shut open source out of the net (it's often argued that this is its hidden agenda) or undermine the GPL as Ross Anderson argues, it will get the answer it deserves mainly in the form of boycotts, which is the kind of language the big boys understand.
    Because all those Linux users will be a huge loss to the profits of most companies. The problem with TC is like Linux most don't realise it exists. Unlike Linux currently it will impact most peoples lifes directly. When people start to see this happening they will be up in arms about it. Then we will see some movement to change it. I find it interesting that no political parties seem to be against it. Ok in Britain both major parties are idiots but I'd at least expect the LD's to complain (to be honest the LD's seem to have lost all hope, most British people seem to want to be told what to do at the moment).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast