• other

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GP2X or XGP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

GP2X or XGP

i'm considering buying a portable media player (with emulator support). And was wondering should i buy the GP2X (heared of screwed battery life, cheap device) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X http://gp2x.co.uk/ or wait for the xgp (not yet out, expensive) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGP wich has 3d hardware rendering. Or just buy a psp (heared it's hard to run homebrew code, but possible.) Any advice?

Beans

Re: GP2X or XGP

The PSP can play homebrew but if you want to run homebrew apps why would you spend $200 on a device from a company that doens't respect your freedom as a customer to do what you want with the product you bought and tries with every release of the firmware to lock you out from doing what you want with your device.

The XGP is going to have 3D graphics and is going to support homebrew (so Wikipedia says) but who knows when it's going to come out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unless you really wanna wait, go for the GP2X. Costs $180, firmware updates have increased battery life a lot, and all you need are some 2500mAh rechargables and you're good to go.

Beans
    Hidden!

If it wasn't for the lack of wifi in the GP2X I would have bought one. Therefore I'm eagerly looking forward to the XGP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Unless you really wanna wait, go for the GP2X. Costs $180, firmware updates have increased battery life a lot, and all you need are some 2500mAh rechargables and you're good to go.
    Long enough to compete with a 'normal' mp3 player or should i then just buy an iaudio m5 or something like that?

Beans
    Distro

"Battery Life (2 x 2850mAh AA): 6 hours video, 10 hours audio

Battery Life has also been reported as 4~6 hours on 2500mAh AAs with 'average usage' assumed. It's usually far less, since you will use it for video and emulation, which requires very much horsepower."

Looks like if you get > 2500mAh batteries, you should be able to get in a possible 8 hours. My iPod nano does 8, so I would assume that's about average?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i hacked my buddied PSP to run PSP games. Take that Sony. That XGP sounds cool though.
    || Intel i7 Ivy 3.6ghz (OC) || Nvidia 675m 2gig GDDR5|| 12 gigs DDR3 ||

Gaming in Linux is Easy Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Looks like if you get > 2500mAh batteries, you should be able to get in a possible 8 hours. My iPod nano does 8, so I would assume that's about average?
    the iaudio M5L should go up to 32h.

i'm considering buying an hdd audio player or a mediaplayer something like the GP2X. And my NDS and GBA both go over 10h when gaming and my old sony discman's getting till up to 15h with shockprotection disabled. So i when i saw the official site claiming 6h for audio i thought it wasn't much time.

Are there also audio players for the GP2X that do not needs the full hardware to boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by flaak_monkey View Post
    i hacked my buddied PSP to run PSP games. Take that Sony. That XGP sounds cool though.
    is it userfrendly or is every boot and every update a pain in the ***?

why can't i say a s s. what the hell is this? linux should have no cencorship. What are we google or someting?
    http://images.google.cn/images?q=tiananmen&hl=zh-CN
    http://images.google.nl/images?q=tiananmen
    Last edited by NESFreak; August 8th, 2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: can't say ***

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

it works fine, just loads as if you were to run music or video off it. i have not heard of ny probems from him or anyone else.
    || Intel i7 Ivy 3.6ghz (OC) || Nvidia 675m 2gig GDDR5|| 12 gigs DDR3 ||

Gaming in Linux is Easy Mode.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast