Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to have all application windows maximized upon opening? - Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy How to have all application windows maximized upon opening? - Ubuntu 18.04

Hello!
    Is there a way in Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver to have the windows of (all) opening applications maximized?
    Or even better is there a way to have the system save the last window size and position?
    Some application windows like Firefox, Evolution, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, gedit open maximized without problems, but other apps like evince, compiz settings manager don't open maximized.
    All solutions that worked in the past (namely Compiz Settings Manager/Place Windows options) don't work.
    Any tip is much appreciated, especially for evince.
    Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to have all application windows maximized upon opening? - Ubuntu 18.04

Is there anybody who could help with this? It would much appreciated!

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt install devilspie2
    most windows remember they are maximized, so you just need to do the 1's that don't remember.
    i'll give you my list to start you off. the window class can be found with xprop.

gedit ~/.config/devilspie2/maximize.lua

Code:
    if (get_window_class()=="Gnome-terminal") then
       maximize();
    end

if (get_window_class()=="Stremio") then
       maximize();
    end

if (get_window_class()=="Gnome-tweaks") then
       maximize();
    end

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the tip! Is there no solution without installing another app?
    In the past I read people having problems with devilpie.

Beans

devilspie, is dead.
    devilspie2 is a new rewritten app that serves the same purpose.

for your evince just add to the list, copy & paste.

Code:
    if (get_window_class()=="Evince") then
       maximize();
    end
    i haven't had any problems.

you also need to add-> devilspie2 <- to startup.

Screenshot from 2018-05-25 21-44-24.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

A gui for this is x-tile (in Software Centre).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@kerry_s Thank you for the further information.
    @dragonfly41 Thank you for the tip regarding x-tile but I can not find it in the Ubuntu Software Center in 18.04 nor in Synaptic Package Manager. It looks like it is not an official package anymore but there is a PPA: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029...mate-18-04-lts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@dragonfly41 I could install x-tile but I don't understand how x-tile can automatically maximize all or certain apps upon opening (without always needing to click "maximize" in x-tile). Help is not available anymore (http://www.giuspen.com/x-tile/), it seems that since 2016 this app is abandoned. Any tip to have x-tile remember which app to automatically maximize the window upon opening?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The developer of x-tile has to support multiple projects. I use cherrytree from his site.

Looking again only at evince you have many options through command line.

https://help.gnome.org/users/evince/...ndline.html.en

For example you can write a short bash script or python script to launch one or more pdf files
    in full screen mode or other modes.

Code:
    cd ~/Documents
    evince --fullscreen three-column.pdf
    For more advanced automation of evince and other apps I draw upon a utility Actiona in Accessories in Ubuntu 16.04.
    I don't know if Ubuntu 18.04 has this utility but Actiona can be compiled easily enough.

For example Actiona could work in concert with x-tile .. or do the same operations such as maximising application windows.
    But it can be tricky to setup.

To avoid complicating the task I think you would be better to stick with evince command line.

Beans

this extension still works & it's simple if it does break should be fixable.
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...ed-by-default/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast