Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iceweasel icon

Iceweasel icon

I'm pretty much a hack when it comes to Inkscape, but I figured an icon for Iceweasel was a decent way to learn.

(EDIT: If you don't know what Iceweasel is, start here and here.)

I used the Tango globe and colorificated it (so it doesn't look like a sparkly blue dot), then traced a picture of a weasel I found on Google. I wanted his head to peek around the globe, with the tail around back. The tail is supposed to look icy, but at 48 pixels square, everything gets so small that it doesn't really look like anything, i guess.

Anyway, you're free to pick this up and improve upon it. And if you don't like it or you think it's awful, don't tell me. I know it already.

UPDATED: 10/10, 0915 MST

First, yes there are Debian folks who are watching this thread, so in that sense, this is a good place to make comments regarding the icon.

Next, in case you hadn't heard, we (actually, I think it was gstubbs or maybe .t. -- thanks, whoever ) started a page in the wiki for posting variations on the icon, or new versions if you want in on the fray.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IceWeaselIcon

Next, the best way (at present) to make your opinion known on the icon(s) is to post your comments on that wiki page. I think I could add a poll to this thread, but to be honest, my fear is that if I add a poll, and then we get a real winner of an icon later on, I don't think I can add an option for it. Maybe one of the moderators/admins could help with that, just so a really good one doesn't get left out.

Lastly, a word of note, we have a digg page, just to get attention and hopefully bring some quality talent into the fray (I still count myself as a rank newbie with Inkscape):

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Iceweasel...he_Ubuntu_Wiki

Cheers, and remember ... sudo aptitude install inkscape!

UPDATED 10/10, 2155 MST

I put two new pages up in the wiki -- one for IceDove (the Thunderbird equivalent) and IceApe (SeaMonkey's equivalent). The Debian folks are keen to get icons for those as well, so if you feel artistically inclined, jump in. Remember that you can start from scratch if you like.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IceDoveIcon
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IceApeIcon

I put up an IceDove icon, and I'll post the svg here in case you want something to start with. I don't think I'll start new threads for them. (Edit: I replaced the IceDove ones here with a dove-plus-envelope. I'm not sure why I had a globe on there. Thanks, manaicmusician.)

IceApe is a real challenge. Good luck with that one!

UPDATED 10/11, 2220 MST

I've given it a solid attempt, but the IceApe icon eludes me. I'll put my version here and in the wiki, in hopes that someone might receive a burst of inspiration -- perhaps even divine inspiration -- and come up with a winner.

I think, for once, the mascot looks icy. but aside from that, I'm having a little trouble getting the gorilla to look like I want. (As I understand it, an ape is collective noun for a group of primates -- which incudes gorillas and, curiously, humans. Maybe I should have put a person there. )

I can't upload the svg, since there's a five-file limit for uploads. I'll try to tack it on in a later post in this thread. (Follow the link if you want it.)

Maybe I'll try it again with a stuffed-animal ape. That might be cute. ...
    Last edited by K.Mandla; January 13th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Iceweasel icon

I actually think that is really good.

How did you learn to use inkscape? If you learned by the internet, could you please provide the link(s) to the tutorials that you used? I can't figure out inkscape, but I think that icon is really good.
    / Intel Pentium 4 3.4 ghz 1024 mb RAM
    \ 6600 GT
    Running Ubuntu Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I think it's fantastic! I love it

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Hey, at least you tried .

I like it, but the blue tail doesn't particularly convey the idea of "ice" to me. I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it, in fact.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fantastic! My one suggestion: I think it would look nicer if the whole weasel looked icy, rather than just the tail.

Beans

I'd lose the glowy effect on those yellow nodes. The weasel is awesome.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It's cool! ^_^ I agree though; make the whole weasel icy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallakoala View Post
    How did you learn to use inkscape? If you learned by the internet, could you please provide the link(s) to the tutorials that you used? I can't figure out inkscape, but I think that icon is really good.
    I don't know that I could supply any. I just banged around with it, trying things I knew from Illustrator and Freehand. It's not the way I would suggest learning it, to be honest. I'm sure someone could point out a proper tutorial for you though.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

there are a few tut on the inkscape site, I have playing with them for awhile

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wallakoala View Post
    I actually think that is really good.

hi, here are some tutorials -
    http://del.icio.us/search/?setcount=...ape%20tutorial
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast