View Poll Results: Do ATI or NVIDIA's official drivers work for you in Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper)

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • ATI's official drivers DO give me fast(*) and flawless 3D acceleration

17 14.29%
  • ATI's off. drivers DO give me 3D-acc. It is slower(*) than I would expect but otherwise flawless

7 5.88%
  • ATI's off. drivers DO NOT work for me. Either they don't give me 3D-acc. or the graphics is flawed

15 12.61%
  • I cannot even use ATI's official drivers, as soon as I enable them X wont start

3 2.52%
  • NVIDIA's official drivers DO give me fast(*) and flawless 3D acceleration

60 50.42%
  • NVIDIA's off. drivers DO give me 3D-acc. It is slower(*) than I would expect but otherwise flawless

8 6.72%
  • NVI.'s off. drivers DO NOT work for me. Either they don't give me 3D-acc. or the graphics is flawed

5 4.20%
  • I cannot even use NVIDIA's official drivers, as soon as I enable them X wont start

4 3.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do ATI or NVIDIA's official drivers work for you in Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper)

Beans

Exclamation Do ATI or NVIDIA's official drivers work for you in Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper)

Do ATI or NVIDIA's official drivers work for you in Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper)

Hey everybody.
    Utilizing the 3D acceleration on those fancy graphics cards people have seems to be one of the things that give
    people a lot of trouble, and therefore is also enveloped in a lot of rumors about what works and what don't. The purpose of this poll is to try to shed some light on this through statistics.

In order to make this as fair and useable a result as possible, please try to conform to the following guidelines

1. Vote only if your situation accurately fits one of the options.

2. ( * NOTE from poll options * ) When you evaluate how fast the acceleration work please remember, that if you are running games designed for Windows through Wine or Cedega, you are in fact running a "translation" layer in between the game and your system, that is bound to use some resources and therefore you cannot necessarily expect the same speed as you get with the same system and the same game in Windows. Furthermore, if the 3D acceleration is very slow, giving real low (depending on your hardware of course) frame rates in `glxgears -printfps`, then your 3D rendering is probably not hardware accelerated at all and you should choose the "...DO NOT..." option instead of the "...DO give me 3D acceleration. It is slower..." option.

3. If you reply "...DO NOT..." please be as sure as you can that it is not the application you use (Wine/Cedega or various games) but in fact the graphics drivers that are to blame. This can be investigated by gathering info on whether that particular application works for other people and if you did what you could to set it up right.

4. The poll options do not include any info on how easy or difficult it was to make it work. This is on purpose, as it would make it far to complicated to include all the different permutations of that also. In short, ease of installation might be the subject of another poll but not this one.

This poll of for Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper) only. The reason for doing it now (right before Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper)'s successor is released) is that now everybody has had a chance to try and make it work, and in fact, if you have been working on it since the release of Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper) and it still doesn't work, then it probably won't at all

I will make more of these polls in the future, regularly right before every release to track the development of this issue. If sufficiently many people vote in order for it to be a sound statistical base (say ~100), I'll forward the result to NVIDIA and ATI for them to use as they see fit.

Please also make a post describing you experience with these official drivers.

Let's keep those votes coming
    Regards TLE

PS: Regarding the formulation of the options. There are, off course, a lot of ways to define the categories for this poll. I have done everything that I can, to ensure that these categories are as clear and unambiguous as possible. I have additionally discussed the formulation with several other people (Thank you AskHL, Genrij, tseliot) before posting to try and ensure this. Therefore, if you have questions about the boundaries in the definitions, please post in this thread, but if you think they are inconsistent, please PM me instead since formulation-discussions, whether the critique is valid or not, tend to kill polls very quickly.

PPS: There are a lot of subjects related to this one that often initiate discussion: "How Wine works, what Wine is and is not", "ideological discussions about Wine vs. Cedega". Please make those discussion elsewhere and keep the posts here related to the subject.

[EDIT]
    Thanks for voting everyone. I got the 100 votes i was aiming at.

When I get around to it (I'll probably install edgy first) I'll make a wiki page containing the result of this poll and post a link to it here. Later on when we change distro again I'll make another poll and update the wiki-page with some statistics.

Regards TLE
    Last edited by TLE; October 27th, 2006 at 08:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Do ATI or NVIDIA's official drivers work for you in Ubuntu 6.06(Dapper)

sticky for four days.

Beans

Cockin' downhill at speeds in excess of 500,000 kilometers per hour.
    I recently got an Nvidia GeForce 6200 because I was interested in playing N64 games using an emulator. It works very well for me, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Beans

The ATI drivers really suck, especially now that they stopped supporting my X300.

I have to take the R300 open source drives which do not really offer satisfying graphical power. I will switch to nVidia, as they at least offer good drivers even for Linux.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans

I get a functioning system, but no 3d graphics. If i'm not getting those, then really, I might as well go with the open source "ati" driver (and i am, in fact).

i've heard a few things floating around, and will try and post here to see if they're true. well, it's one thing really.

but i've heard that ATI cards for the laptop are *very* well supported? this will be pretty influential in my upcoming laptop purchase. After the debaucle with my ati chipset, i swore never to get ATI anything again. but now i'm hearing that ati supports onboard laptop cards very well...so what's the final word on this? or is there one? just want to make an informed purchase.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nopes - ATi more or less sucks overall...

If you have the opportunity for getting a NVidia based laptop - go for it.

BTW: I voted ATi off. DO NOT work for me - I get screen tearing and blinking when the system is working on something.
    Last edited by Juzz; October 23rd, 2006 at 12:45 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    Nopes - ATi more or less sucks overall...

If you have the opportunity for getting a NVidia...
    Yeah that was actually one of the "rumours" I wanted to test. So far it looks like that's pretty much the current state of things.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The official ATI drivers don't work with my laptop even though they explicitly list my card as supported. This is common for every distro I have tried.

My desktop has an Nvidia Geforce FX 5600, and the official Nvidia drivers work flawlessly.

I doubt I'll ever purchase another PC or laptop that uses an ATI GPU.

Beans

the fglrx ati driver from the repositories works flawlessly for me. i have a sapphire radeon x1600 pro 512mb agp card. its the last agp card ati's gonna make i think, after this, only PCI-E. i've played the linux native version of america's army with this graphics card in ubuntu 6.06, with absolutely no problems at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by erik1397 View Post
    the fglrx ati driver from the repositories works flawlessly for me. i have a sapphire radeon x1600 pro 512mb agp card. its the last agp card ati's gonna make i think, after this, only PCI-E. i've played the linux native version of america's army with this graphics card in ubuntu 6.06, with absolutely no problems at all.
    Sorry to say it, but then you are using the community drivers...

But have you run anything else than Americas Army and WoW on it?

I used to have a Radeon 9800 Pro, and those were practically the only games I could run out of those I own. Morrorwind did run, but extremely poorly, GTA had about 1-2 fps and a whole bunch of others didn't run.
    So this spring I exchanged it for a GeForce 6600GT and WOW what a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast