Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install DC++ for linux

Beans

HOWTO: Install DC++ for linux

Hey Y'all! I just successfully installed DC++ for linux, that means, no confusing dcgui or dcgui-qt. It looks and behaves just like DC++ for Windows, but it looks better, even. No longer do I have to go through wine, and that makes me happy. Here's a helpful howto to get you running DC++ natively in linux.

Here goes:
    First, you must download the sources from the linuxdcpp website via cvs. They do not have any binaries available.
    so:
    Code:
    $ sudo cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login
       (leave password blank and hit enter)

$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp co linuxdcpp
    (This put a linuxdcpp folder in my home directory. I left it there, you may move it somewhere else if you would like to. Just keep in mind that the commands that follow assume the folder is in your home directory)

Ok, so you have the sources now, but you need to compile them and ubuntu does not come packaged with all the requirements. you need:

libgtk2.0-dev
    libgtkmm-2.4-dev
    libglademm-2.4-dev
    zlib1g-dev
    libbz2-dev
    g++-3.4
    libgtk2.0-bin
    libgtk2.0-0
    libgtk2.0-common
    libgtkmm-2.4-1
    libglademm-2.4-1

To make sure this is all installed apt-get the following. The packages you have installed already will be ignored, or upgraded (I think)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev libgtkmm-2.4-dev libglademm-2.4-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev g++-3.4 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common g++ libgtkmm-2.4-1 libglademm-2.4-1 scons
    Also apt-get install your kernel headers.

This next part is apparently unnecessary. (Thanks to Chousuke for pointing that out) But I don't really feel like removing it because it took me a while.... So ignore the immediately following quote insert, unless you get a missing libglade error when running scons later on.
    Most of the stuff can be found in the repositories. However, I could not find libglade 2.4 so the next part of this howto is how to get and install libglade 2.4.

Go to http://www.zentek-international.com/.../libglade/2.4/ and download the most recent sources.
    Extract them to a directory, I use ~/src (i made that directory for myself for sources i download)
    To compile this, you will need to apt-get:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev libxml1 libxml2-dev
    and apt-get whatever else you get yelled at for when trying to ./configure
    so:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/src/libglade-2.4*
    $ sudo ./configure
    $ sudo make
    $sudo make install
    (So, hopefully, libglade-2.4 has successfully installed.
    Next is to install the actual dcpp program so switch to the linuxdcpp directory that you downloaded)
    Code:
    $ cd ~/linuxdcpp  (mine was my home folder)

(then run scons, which compiles the program for you)

$ sudo scons
    And there you have it. It should work. The executable is in the ~/linuxdcpp directory. You should just be able to double click on it to run the program. To get it to show up in the the Gnome menu however, you will need to get the program Menu Editor. You can find that here. To install this program, download it, then switch to the directory to which you downloaded the .deb file and:
    Code:
    $ sudo dpkg -i menueditor*
    Then open the program, which can be found in Applications>System Tools>Menu Editor. On the right, Enter the name you would like to show up in the menu, any comments you would like to enter about dcpp, and the command which will be:
    Code:
    /directory/in/which/the/executable/subsides/dcpp
    , select an icon if that pleases you, and a category. Click save, exit menueditor and see if your program works (I hope it does!)

Well, good luck with this. I do not know how many people use DC++, but hopefully this howto works for those who want to use it.

This is my first howto, and I'm sure it needs work. Please, give me your feedback and I will edit the howto as needed.

(Edited 5/20/05 @ 1:30 pm to clean stuff up, added Chousuke's info in here, so thanks to him for that.)
    Last edited by wbeck85; May 11th, 2005 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Missing g++ in package list
    Ubuntu User since Warty +1
    Registered Linux User #388905

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Question Re: HOWTO: Install DC++ for linux

Heya!
    Thanks for this howto, I've managed to install Valknut (dcgui-qt) but i'm not very satisfied with it... so installing dc++ on my linux box would be great The whole procedure went nice and smooth up until the $ sudo scons command. Here's the output:
    Code:
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    Checking for pkg-config... ok
    Checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
    Checking for gthread-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
    Checking for libglade-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
    Checking for C header file time.h... yes
    Checking for C header file signal.h... yes
    Checking for C header file unistd.h... yes
    Checking for C header file sys/poll.h... yes
    Checking for main() in C library pthread... yes
    Checking for main() in C library z... yes
    Checking for main() in C library bz2... yes
    Checking for C header file asm/atomic.h... yes
    Checking for PTHREAD_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP in pthread.h... ok
    scons: done reading SConscript files.
    scons: Building targets ...
    g++-3.4 -DXTHREADS -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -pthread -DHAVE_ASM_ATOMIC_H -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_DECL_PTHREAD_RECURSIVE_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP -I. -DENABLE_BINRELOC -I/usr/include/libglade-2.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -c -o build/client/ADLSearch.o client/ADLSearch.cpp client/FinishedManager.cpp client/Socket.cpp client/AdcCommand.cpp client/HashManager.cpp client/StringDefs.cpp client/AdcHub.cpp client/HttpConnection.cpp client/StringTokenizer.cpp client/BZUtils.cpp client/HubManager.cpp client/Text.cpp client/BufferedSocket.cpp client/LogManager.cpp client/Thread.cpp client/Client.cpp client/NmdcHub.cpp client/TigerHash.cpp client/ClientManager.cpp client/QueueManager.cpp client/TimerManager.cpp client/ConnectionManager.cpp client/ResourceManager.cpp client/UploadManager.cpp client/CryptoManager.cpp client/SFVReader.cpp client/User.cpp client/DCPlusPlus.cpp client/SearchManager.cpp client/UserConnection.cpp client/DirectoryListing.cpp client/ServerSocket.cpp client/Util.cpp client/DownloadManager.cpp client/SettingsManager.cpp client/ZUtils.cpp client/Encoder.cpp client/ShareManager.cpp client/stdinc.cpp client/Exception.cpp client/SimpleXML.cpp
    g++-3.4: --export-dynamic: linker input file unused because linking not done
    cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "--export-dynamic"
    scons: *** [build/client/ADLSearch.o] Error 1
    scons: building terminated because of errors.
    I don't know what I can do to avoid this error, if anything. I'm running Warty, not Hoary, cuz Valknut wouldn't compile on Hoary; could that be the reason? Thanks for any ideas!

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install DC++ for linux

The OP's how-to is now correct, but I'll leave this here nonetheless.

(I'll use code tags to prevent smilies)
    Do this:
    Code:
    (no need for sudo yet. Do this in ~/ somewhere.)
    $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login 
    (No password)
    $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp co linuxdcpp

You need the following development packages: 
    libgtk2.0-dev
    libgtkmm-2.4-dev # I believe this is required since DC++ is a C++ app.
    libglademm-2.4-dev
    zlib1g-dev
    libbz2-dev

downloading kaffe-pthread isn't required, since pthreads is a kernel feature

you need the following programs/libraries also:
    (some may be already installed)
    scons
    g++-3.4
    libgtk2.0
    libgtkmm-2.4-1
    libglademm-2.4-1

after this, just run scons to build. (sudo/root is still unneeded ;))
    Follow OP's advice for menu entries etc.
    Last edited by Chousuke; April 21st, 2005 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Obsoleted ;)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Chousuke
    The original poster's how-to is slightly flawed. It does work, but there's no need to download libglade2.4 source and compile them: Here's an easier and cleaner method:

(I'll use code tags to prevent smilies)
    Do this:
    Code:
    (no need for sudo yet. Do this in ~/ somewhere.)
    $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login 
    (No password)

You need the following development packages: 
    libgtk2.0-dev
    libgtkmm-2.4-dev # I believe this is required since DC++ is a C++ app.
    libglademm-2.4-dev
    zlib1g-dev
    libbz2-dev

downloading kaffe-pthread isn't required, since pthreads is a kernel feature

you need the following programs/libraries also:
    (some may be already installed)
    scans
    g++-3.4
    libgtk2.0
    libgtkmm-2.4-1
    libglademm-2.4-1

after this, just run scons to build. (sudo/root is still unneeded ;))
    Follow OP's advice for menu entries etc.
    Thx Chousuke, but I still get the same error... Can anyone help please? Tia

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by destino
    Thx I got the same advice on the #linuxdcpp irc channel, and it worked like a dream So, to all those who wanna try out dc++ on linux, update your scons first

Beans

Excellent how-to, I got it working in about 3 minutes! There is only tiny little thing though, I needed a few more packages because I got the

>> Did not find the header time.h

error. Then I installed the "build-essentials" package and everything worked fine. It was just a couple of standard-C library's missing. (ps. I just re-installed Ubuntu 1 hour ago, that's because I didn't have them)

cheers ,

Leo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zwaardmeester
    Excellent how-to, I got it working in about 3 minutes! There is only tiny little thing though, I needed a few more packages because I got the

>> Did not find the header time.h

error. Then I installed the "build-essentials" package and everything worked fine. It was just a couple of standard-C library's missing. (ps. I just re-installed Ubuntu 1 hour ago, that's because I didn't have them)

cheers ,

Leo
    Very cool.
    Thanka!

Beans

I downloaded and installed this a while ago and it didn't really require other than getting from cvs and sconcssing.

Does the search work in your latest cvs versions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I was chatting yesterday with a couple people on #linuxdc++ about the few controls that aren't yet included in this program, like the ability to add a hub to Favorites with the /fav command. And lo and behold, a patch is available for this command. I don't know how long it will remain available, but for now, thanks to s4kk3, it is.
    I had the prog already compiled so i did the following:
    Code:
    $ cd your_linuxdcpp_folder
    $ wget http://s4kk3.servebeer.com/patches/user-commands-0.02.diff
    $ patch -p1 < user-commands-0.02.diff
    $ scons
    I don't remember having to install extra libs, but it probably depends on your system.

Also, bear in mind that this prog is "under development", so a few features are missing: only the "Nick" and "Sharesize" columns are visible in the userlist, some nicks don't seem to show (Ptokax bots , for example), and chat-logging seems not to work (upload- and download-logging work fine though). But since Valknut seems not to be working with Hoary (I couldn't compile the latest version, same goes with a couple friends), this makes a fine replacement for all those DC-addicted people out there

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast