Thread: HOWTO: Create a Consistent Look For Your Ubuntu and Kubuntu Desktops

Beans

HOWTO: Create a Consistent Look For Your Ubuntu and Kubuntu Desktops

While many prefer KDE's single wide taskbar, the double-panel style in Ubuntu/Gnome gives more navigation space and does a good job of keeping distinct actions separated in the UI.

This guide describes the process for applying Ubuntu/Gnome-style layout to Kubuntu/KDE's panels, giving a consistent look across the two. If you are going to be using both desktops interchangeably then having both desktops share a basic interface should improve useability.

Read the complete guide here.

NB. The above is a link to my personal site where this HOWTO & screenshots/etc. are hosted. I asked and was given permission to do this. If you have any suggestions / improvements, etc. please post you're comments here on the board.

Enjoy.
    Linux/Android how to's and Q&A at root.abl.es

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Create a Consistent Look For Your Ubuntu and Kubuntu Desktops

This is for KDE 3 or 4? I quite liked KDE 3, but when 4 came along I struggled with it for half a day and then removed it. It was Terrible: It made all the same mistakes as Vista did, concentrating on form over function.

So if there was a way to claw back KDE 4 into a Gnome 2.whatsit format, then that would be great. Specifically things like
    - Getting rid of the horde of widgets that deface your desktop
    - Replacing the ridiculous KDE 4 file manager aka "The Preventer" with something which you can actually use.

Um ... and some more things. Well anyway its an idea for extending this post. I don't have KDE installed anywhere so I can't really add to it.