Thread: Backport packages not authenticated?

Beans

Backport packages not authenticated?

I haven't been able to use the backports for awhile now, because of the authentication, and have waited around 2 weeks to see if it would fix itself, without luck.
    Code:
    dewey@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      libavcodeccvs libpostproc0 libxvidcore4 mplayer-386
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      firestarter freeciv freeciv-client-gtk freeciv-data freeciv-server gaim
      gaim-data gaim-encryption gimp gimp-data gimp-python gnome-menus libgimp2.0
      libgnome-menu0 libsmbclient mozilla-firefox mozilla-firefox-gnome-support
      prelink python-xdg samba samba-common smbclient synaptic
    23 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 38.0MB of archives.
    After unpacking 1401kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
      firestarter freeciv-data freeciv-server freeciv-client-gtk freeciv gaim
      gaim-data gaim-encryption gimp gimp-data libgimp2.0 gimp-python
      libgnome-menu0 gnome-menus mozilla-firefox-gnome-support mozilla-firefox
      prelink python-xdg smbclient samba samba-common synaptic libsmbclient
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? n
    E: Some packages could not be authenticated
    When I disable the backport repo, none of the packages want to be upgraded, is there any way I can get them to authenticate properly?
    Last edited by dewey; May 9th, 2005 at 10:55 PM.

Beans

Re: Backport packages not authenticated?

No ideas? Is there anyway to clear my backport keys and redownload them or something. in case there is a conflict?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dewey
    No ideas? Is there anyway to clear my backport keys and redownload them or something. in case there is a conflict?
    This issue is still being instate of being resolved, I did contact the developer of synaptic to find out a way to possibly disable the error and/or sign the packages, but the only thing I find useful of what he said was "The admin of the backports is going to need to sign each package individually or setup a way to get them to authenticate automatically on send out"

Reason why the packages have been kept back is due to the version not being stable with the repo that you installed and/or have installed but has recent dependencies that go with it, but the versions need to be upgraded. You'll need to wait for the updates or do a request for the dependencies/repo's you're needing to make your dependencies install correctly.

This is not enough info, I know, but if you need more, please contact jdong for more info.
    AskDroid - Android Q&A Community

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dewey
    When I disable the backport repo, none of the packages want to be upgraded, is there any way I can get them to authenticate properly?
    Not yet (It is safe to continue without authentication... Atleast, I do so...), but the held back packages could be upgraded using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", which will fix that kind of issues. That command can REMOVE packages though, so look carefully before accepting the changes!
    Proud Ubuntu user, with Debian experience. (Ubuntu as main OS since March 2005)
    Registered Linux User: #386006 (Linux Counter)
    Registered Ubuntu User: #5184 (Ubuntu Counter)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ugh, the last time I tried signing, I corrupted all the debs in the repo. You can just answer "y" to the warning, and it'll continue to install.

Google the board -- I've discussed a few times why I havent' been rushing to implement signing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Google the board -- I've discussed a few times why I havent' been rushing to implement signing.
    I looked around and noticed the problems with signing the packages, I just didn't see anyone complaining about the authentication issue now, so I figured it was only me.

Beans

> I looked around and noticed the problems with signing the packages, I just didn't
    > see anyone complaining about the authentication issue now, so I figured it was
    > only me.
    Not only you - I had the same concern; but thanks to this thread I decided to hit the "y". Hope once the signing-problem can be solved.
    Ingo.