Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux DVD playing and the MPAA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Linux DVD playing and the MPAA

For those who haven't already figured it out, Ubuntu (like many other distros) does not come with out-of-the-box support for playing commonly purchased DVD movies. This is due to legal issues in countries like the United States where associations like the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) have pushed legislation that makes it difficult for non-Windows and non-Mac OS's to legally play DVD movies.
    The following quote is from MPAA's website:
    Q: Doesn’t the DMCA allow reverse engineering for compatibility, for example to allow playing of a DVD on a Linux operating system-driven personal computer?
    A: The DMCA does allow reverse engineering. However, the reverse engineering provisions in the DMCA were never intended to enable anyone to circumvent technical protection measures (TPMs) for the purpose of gaining unauthorized access to or making unauthorized copies of copyrighted works.

The DMCA does allow a lawful user of a computer program to circumvent TPMs to ensure that the program can work with other programs (interoperability); and, with strict limitations, the research may be shared with others, as long as it does not infringe the copyright in the original or a related work. However, reverse engineering is not permissible if there is a readily available commercial alternative for that purpose. In this case, there exist MANY commercially available DVD players.
    Q: Some computer users say they only want to use DeCSS to view their DVDs on computers that use the Linux operating system. Windows- and Macintosh-based computers can play DVDs, so is it fair to deprive the Linux community?
    A: The Linux argument is a false issue. It has always been in the interest of the Motion Picture industry that there be as many legitimately licensed DVD players as possible, including those using non-Windows operating systems. However the argument that DeCSS was written for Linux players is simply false. The De-CSS utility was written for Windows-based software, not Linux.

Also, the development of two, separate, licensed DVD players for Linux systems - which use the CSS system - were recently announced. Sigma Designs (www.sigmadesigns.com) and InterVideo Inc. (www.intervideo.com) both announced the roll-out of LICENSED, LEGAL Linux-based DVD players.
    this was found at http://www.mpaa.org/Press/DVD_FAQ.htm

This press release from the MPAA is very missleading. As anyone who has tried to find such commercially licensed DVD players already knows, nothing exists for the linux desktop user.

i guess this is an FYI for those curious or may be this is a good discussion opener.

-fisher
    Last edited by fisheromen1031; July 5th, 2005 at 12:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Linux DVD playing and the MPAA

*shrug*

I gave up trying to keep on the legal side of the net back in the Napster days. Which is not to say that I am a Pirate, just that I gave up trying to figure out the fog that is Internet Legality
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

They cannot offer Linux support becuase MS wont allow them, not because of the legal talk (wich obviously favors MS). That makes you think... Linux has achive all of this without (or few) support from big hardware-manufacturers, my question is this, what would Linux achive if it'd have the support that MS has right now?
    Free your mind...

Beans

I don't give a damn about the MPAA, and I don't give a damn about the law. I own my DVDs, and I own my computer. What I do with the two is nobody else's business, and if the MPAA disagrees, they can discuss the matter with my sledgehammer.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes
    I don't give a damn about the MPAA, and I don't give a damn about the law. I own my DVDs, and I own my computer. What I do with the two is nobody else's business, and if the MPAA disagrees, they can discuss the matter with my sledgehammer.
    Amen to that!! *high-fives Stormy Eyes*
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kyral
    Amen to that!! *high-fives Stormy Eyes*
    Thanks, but be careful about agreeing with me. I have no respect whatsoever for the law or for social mores.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

There are some of us out there that would like to remain as law abiders regardless of if others know or whether we think the laws are rather stupid. Petitioning/complaining to the proper peoples (or other similar actions) are prefered by some over simple disobedience. Does anybody know if anyone (in the USA that is) is working to make it legal for me to play my DVDs on my linux box?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fisheromen1031
    Does anybody know if anyone (in the USA that is) is working to make it legal for me to play my DVDs on my linux box?
    Well...there is this...but its not for things like Ubuntu:

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/LinDVD.jsp
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

There are some of us out there that would like to remain as law abiders regardless of if others know or whether we think the laws are rather stupid.
    I know there are, and while I don't agree with them, I bear them no malice.

Petitioning/complaining to the proper peoples (or other similar actions) are prefered by some over simple disobedience.
    I know. However, I don't think that working within a broken system will solve anything. Instead, I decide for myself what is right, act accordingly, and face the consequences.

Does anybody know if anyone (in the USA that is) is working to make it legal for me to play my DVDs on my linux box?
    Aside from the Electronic Frontier Foundation? I don't know of any. I never cared to look for one, being the sort who will do as he will while taking care not to trample on others' rights. In D&D parlance, my alignment would be 'chaotic good', not lawful.

Beans
    Hidden!

See, Stormy Appears to be a practical anarchist, as discussed in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Heinlen. Essentially, that means that you follow the law when you believe it to be worthy and along your moral stance. If not, you refuse to follow it.

It's a total separation from social mores, as you put it Stormy. It's all about deciding for yourself what is right, and not what others say.

EDIT: what I mean to say with all this is that even though Stormy has no respect for society's laws, it doesn't mean he doesn't follow his own. I doubt he's out killing people daily, etc. He shows respect for those who remain totally lawful
    Last edited by TravisNewman; July 5th, 2005 at 01:26 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast