Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: De-uglify aMSN.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

HOW-TO: De-uglify aMSN.

First I should give credit to this guy for the icons used in this skin. I didn't make any of them. Some icons/colors/sounds I took from real MSN 7.5, but most I used from the (Gaim) Grystal theme.

With this (poorly written) guide, you can change this into this. I need aMSN for webcam but I was sick of how ugly it was by default.. so I fixed it with a new skin and anti-aliasing through latest Tcl/Tk.

1. Install Tcl/Tk 8.5 from CVS. Here is a post which describes the process a bit.

Get everything you need to build Tcl/Tk:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep tcl8.4 tk8.4
    sudo apt-get install libxft-dev
    To get CVS Tcl:
    Code:
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tcl login 
    <hit enter>
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tcl co -P tcl
    To get CVS Tk:
    Code:
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tktoolkit login 
    <hit enter>
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/tktoolkit co -P tk
    Compile Tcl this way (same way as the tcl8.4 package, but for 8.5):
    Code:
    cd tcl/unix
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --includedir=/usr/local/include/tcl8.5 --enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-64bit --mandir=/usr/local/share/man --enable-man-symlinks --enable-man-compression=gzip && make CFLAGS="-g -O2 -D_REENTRANT"
    sudo make install
    Compile Tk this way (ditto):
    Code:
    cd tk/unix
    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --includedir=/usr/local/include/tcl8.5 --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib --enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-64bit --enable-man-symlinks --enable-man-compression=gzip --enable-xft && make CFLAGS="-g -O2 -D_REENTRANT"
    sudo make install
    2. Follow this guide to install CVS aMSN*: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75276

*Except, add "--with-tcl=/usr/local/lib --with-tk=/usr/local/lib" to ./configure, like this:

Code:
    ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib --with-tk=/usr/local/lib (whateverotheroptions)
    3. Load aMSN this way:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/wish8.5 /usr/local/share/amsn/amsn
    I made a one-liner script for this to be lazy, so I can just type "fakeamsn".

Code:
    cat > ~/bin/fakeamsn
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/bin/wish8.5 /usr/local/share/amsn/amsn
    <Control-D>
    chmod 700 ~/bin/fakeamsn
    4. Use my skin. Download here. Put in ~/.amsn/skins, select it in aMSN and restart aMSN.

5. Config aMSN a bit.
    a) Set fonts. Tools: Preferences: Appearance tab: Change font button. I use "Bitstream Versa Sans" at size 9. In the Personal tab: My message text, I use "Bitsream Vera Sans Mono".. but it's up to you. (these are the fonts I use in the screenshot)
    b) I put tabs off (up to you though). Tools: Preferences: Session Tab : My Messaging Interface : Select how to handle multiple message windows: Normal windows without tabs.
    c) I set some default applications. Go Tools: Preferences: Others tab. And set...
    - Browser = "firefox $url" (could also be "sensible-browser", but this is how I do it)
    - File Manager = "nautilus $location" (or konqueror $location, I suppose)
    - Open file command: "gnome-open $file"
    - Received Files folder: "/home/myname/Desktop" (or wherever)
    d) Now go to the advanced tab.
    - Uncheck "Show aMSN's banner"
    - Check "Ignore remote users fonts in chats.." (my preference, up to you)
    - Check "No space between groups"
    - Check "Remove empty groups from the contact list"
    - Set "Offset the position of the notification pop-up" to x=0 y=26 if you have a 26pixel bottom panel/bar. If you don't, make it 0,0. If it's bigger.. make it bigger (eg. x=0 y=48).

6. Open a message window to someone and go View: Style: Customized style.

Set it to:
    "$tstamp $nick says: $newline "
    (without the quotes, and 4 spaces after $newline)

Click OK.

7. Done. :>

This process has a lot of room for error with getting/compiling amsn/tcl/tk, so don't blame me if it doesn't work. I will help where I can, but it won't be a lot. So take this guide as-is, and improve upon it if you'd like. Reading other posts in this thread would probably be a good idea.
    Last edited by neuschnee; November 2nd, 2005 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOW-TO: De-uglify aMSN.

From the other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    I have made x86 ubuntu packages for the latest TCL and TK:

Quote Originally Posted by joakim2
    Go into your aMSN directory and configure and make it like so: ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/local/tcl/lib --with-tk=/usr/local/tcl/lib && make
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for your how-to!! aMSN looks much more beautiful now!

Beans
    Distro

I also reccomend this:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=27494

It replaces some of the file dialogues with GNOME/KDE widget dialogues.

Beans

Nice how-to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've followed all the steps, and still the font in aMSN still looks ugly. My 'Bitsream Vera Sans Mono' size 8 or 9 looks nothing like the font in gedit or other applications. Anyone have suggestions on how I can change my font in aMSN?

If it'll help, my encoding is set to 'Automatic'. My fonts looks like they have been squished, they are shorter and wider than the normal.
    Last edited by Blackie_Chan; November 2nd, 2005 at 04:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie_Chan
    I've followed all the steps, and still the font in aMSN still looks ugly. My 'Bitsream Vera Sans Mono' size 8 or 9 looks nothing like the font in gedit or other applications. Anyone have suggestions on how I can change my font in aMSN?

If it'll help, my encoding is set to 'Automatic'. My fonts looks like they have been squished, they are shorter and wider than the normal.
    It sounds like Xft isn't working. You need to compile Tk8.5 with --enable-xft (I'm not sure if the .deb linked here has xft enabled or not).

Beans

Doing the build-dep does not install libxft-dev. In order to get the anti-aliased fonts use apt-get or synaptic to install libxft-dev before building TK.

apt-get install libxft-dev

(Please note, if you have already installed AMSN all you have to do is recompile TK)

Also when compiling TK I had to change --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.5 to --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib.
    Last edited by steil; November 2nd, 2005 at 06:38 AM.

Beans

Took a few tries with the whole TCL/TK thing. But I had to change the dir to /usr/local/lib when doing ./configure for ~/msn and ./configure in ~/tk/unix

Beans
    Distro

Fixed some things (/usr/local/lib and made a mention of installing libxft-dev).

I also have some things to alter in the skin.. maybe I'll get around to it today.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast