Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MPlayer compilation from CVS

Beans
    Hidden!

Post MPlayer compilation from CVS

This is yet another extension of the original MPlayer PRE compilation guide. I'm separating the CVS compilation method because it's getting buried in all of the pages of the first thread. Props to everyone on the first thread (specially seethru and emendelson).

Fasten your seatbelts..

You need a proper sources.list file. Here is mine:
    Code:
    deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main universe multiverse restricted
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main universe multiverse restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted
    deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe
    deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-security universe
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential debhelper libx11-dev libxv-dev libpng12-0 libpng12-dev checkinstall libavcodec-dev aalib1 libaa1-dev libaa1 caca-utils libcaca-dev libavcodec-dev libavifile-0.7-dev libsdl1.2debian-all libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libfaac-dev libfaad2-dev libgtk2.0-dev liblame-dev libice-dev libjpeg62-dev libmatroska-dev libmad0-dev libmpcdec-dev libmp4v2-dev libmikmod2-dev libogg-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libxinerama-dev libxv-dev xlibs-dev x-dev cvs libquicktime1 libquicktime-dev libmjpegtools0 fakeroot gnome-core-devel libpostproc-dev
    If you have never used cvs before, do the following command:
    Code:
    touch $HOME/.cvspass

Downloading MPlayer CVS
    Issue the following commands to get the latest sources:
    Code:
      cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/mplayer login
      cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/mplayer co -P main
    When asked for a password, just hit enter. A directory named main will be created. You can later update your sources by saying

Code:
      cvs -z3 update -dPA
    from within that directory.
    FFmpeg libavcodec/libavutil/libavformat

CVS MPlayer is not fully functional without a copy of the libavcodec, libavformat and libavutil libraries from FFmpeg. Get FFmpeg CVS via
    Code:
      cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg login
      cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co -P ffmpeg
    When asked for a password, just hit enter. A directory named ffmpeg will be created. Copy the libavcodec, libavformat and libavutil subdirectories into the main directory just created from the MPlayer checkout.
    Code:
    cp ffmpeg/libav* main/ -rf
    In order to include libavcodec and libavutil in CVS updates, add the following lines to main/CVS/Entries:

Code:
    gedit main/CVS/Entries
    Code:
      D/libavcodec////
      D/libavformat////
      D/libavutil////
    Previously win32 codecs were placed in /usr/lib/win32. Applications like Xine use that directory for the same purpose. If you would like you can either keep both directories or make one linked to the other. If both directories exist you cannot link them.
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/win32 /usr/local/lib/codecs
    This is optional.
    Compiling MPlayer
    Most users will find the default configuration options adequate. However I recommend the following options. The first option is required to install the GUI. The second option is to allow access to large files over 2GB. Useful to rip DVD's or record Digital Video. The third option is for menus in the OSD (On Screen Display).
    Code:
    cd main
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-gui --enable-largefiles --enable-menu --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer
    If some errors pops up it is most likely due to a missing dependency (hey, I tried to include them all). Once it finishes, you should be able to see what you have enabled (ie what you compiled) and you do not. This step is great to see how your compile is piling up.
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Making your own MPlayer debian package (after it works)
    Code:
    fakeroot debian/rules binary
    A summary how-to for getting this contribution to work the first time.

1. Install the deb package, but don't run the program.

2. Go to a terminal, and run

Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/local/share/mplayer
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/mplayer/Skin
    3. go to

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

and download a skin (Blue is the official default); in a sudo terminal, extract the directory from the archive, and copy it to /usr/share/mplayer/Skin ; rename the extracted directory from "Blue" (or whatever) to "default" (cd to the Skindirectory and then try: sudo mv Blue default)

4. Assuming that you've downloaded the Microsoft core fonts (by installing msttcorefonts), do this:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/Arial.ttf /usr/local/share/mplayer/subfont.ttf
    NOW, start gmplayer. You can import more skins to ~/.mplayer/Skin in the same way as in step 3.
    Smooth playback
    Quote Originally Posted by dradul
    The defaults of MPlayer's A-V sync parameters aren't fine-tuned for perfect files. When looking at timing in such detail, you should take care of video timers, too. Be sure that the hardware RTC timer is used (MPlayer will complain to the standard output if the RTC timer has a value lower than 1024, start mplayer from a terminal window and examine the error messages).

First make sure the kernel rtc module is loaded in your kernel permanently:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add
    Code:
    rtc
    at the end of the list. Now set up the rtc timer value at booting up time:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf
    Add the following
    Code:
    dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024
    and save the file. For faster loading times, you will need to include the rtc module in your initrd image. Add it to your mkinitramfs configuration file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/mkinitramfs/modules
    Add the following to the list:
    Code:
    rtc
    and regenerate the initrd file of your running kernel:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)
    In case you have several kernels installed, you will have to specify their version explicitly.

If you want instant gratification, you can set up the rtc values of the running kernel before stating mplayer like this:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtc
    sudo sysctl -w dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024
    Updating your CVS MPlayer
    Go to your MPlayer main directory and
    Code:
    cvs -z3 update -dPA
    and repeat the compiling steps.
    Extras
    • Clearlooks skin.
    • Mozilla MPlayer plugin 3.11
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i mplayerplug-in_3.11-1_i386.deb
    • ASCII text video (colored):
      Code:
      mplayer video.avi -vo caca
    • ASCII text video (non colored):
      Code:
      mplayer video.avi -vo aa

The finished product:
    Last edited by bored2k; March 25th, 2006 at 01:26 AM.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: MPlayer compilation from CVS

Using this method, some of us have created x86 compiled packages. Compiling it yourself is the best method, but for those who want a quick way out of this, here are some:

If someone compiles this using different architectures, please share the love
    Last edited by bored2k; November 30th, 2005 at 10:29 PM.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Thanks alot, I was having trouble playing some h.264, especially in Matroska mkv files. I tried the Ubuntu packaged mplayer and compiled from source tar. This method seams to have fixed everything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here are Audio/Video driver configured in mine, also my deb files points to /usr and not /usr/local.
    Code:
      Enabled optional drivers:
        Input: ftp network tv-v4l2 tv-v4l edl tv live555 matroska cdda mpdvdkit2 vcd dvb smb
        Codecs: qtx divx5linux xvid libdv libavcodec real dshow/dmo win32 faad2(internal) faac libmpeg2 libdts liba52 mp3lib libtheora tremor(internal) libmad liblzo gif
        Audio output: alsa jack polyp esd arts oss nas sdl mpegpes(dvb)
        Video output: xvidix cvidix sdl gif89a md5sum pnm jpeg png mpegpes(dvb) fbdev svga caca aa ggi opengl dga xv x11 xover dfbmga directfb tga
        Audio filters: ladspa

Disabled optional drivers:
        Input: vstream tv-bsdbt848 dvdread
        Codecs: divx4linux x264 amr_wb amr_nb xanim musepack speex twolame toolame
        Audio output: sgi sun dxr2 dsound win32
        Video output: winvidix bl zr zr2 dxr3 dxr2 directx vesa xmga mga xvmc tdfx_vid tdfxfb 3dfx
        Audio filters:
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry for the question but where i can download the libdivx5linux to compile?
    I've googled and have no lucky.

Thanks

Edit: I've found that file sorry again
    Last edited by Hellaxe; November 18th, 2005 at 08:27 PM.
    Call me-me the Manimal
    That's what I am
    Call me-me the Manimal
    Half beast half man

Beans

Well I at last compiled mine. I uploaded the .deb if someone needed it.

November 18

Enjoy, and great How-To bored2k
    A freelancer | The GIMP Compilation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Heres one compiled on a PIII-M (SSE and MMX)
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7839413/m..._i386.deb.html

(I'm a noob and all I did was follow the posted guide. I've tested it and it seems to work fine. Don't blame me if this warps your PC to the next dimension )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for this guide. Only with this one i was able to compile mplayer with a gtk2 GUI successfully

Beans

For some reason gmplayer isn't being built when I compile, I can't see anything obvious in the configuration log. I've followed the HowTo to the letter, but no matter what I do gmplayer isn't being created. Any ideas on what I could be missing? In the configuration.log is say it yes on the gui check, so I'm baffled.

Beans

Let me start by saying thanks for the great howto! Worked flawlessly up to the point where I try to set up the mplayer-plugin.
    I'm using ff 1.5rc3 after following another great howto on the forums. The problem is that the mplayer-plugin doesn't show up in aboutlugins.

I'm guessing that the .deb installs the plugin to the ubuntu firefox default plugin directory and I should try to move it to the directory where I've installed ff 1.5, right?

Another noobish question is how can I see what actually happens when I install a .deb? What files gets placed where and the like?

Still learning over here!

Br,
    ollesbrorsa
    There's no longer any shame in asking an RTFM question these days because there's too many FM to R.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast